This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 08:18:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
8. Express the following sum:

[attachment=366:attachment]

In the form u * Φ(v * w^x) + y * Ψ(z), where Φ and Ψ can each be one of the six functions sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, and cot, and each of u, v, w, x, y, and z are integers such that v and z are positive, x is greater than or equal to 2, and w is a positive prime number that does not divide v. [font="courier"]Answers written in any other form will not be considered correct! (Angles are expressed in radians.)
This was one of the harder problems from a math competition I attended today. I don't believe anyone got it; would anyone here happen to have a clue how to solve it?

(I'm sure the paragraph at the bottom is mostly meaningless and confusing - just simplifying the sum is what they're looking for)

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2005 08:21:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 08:26:09 pm    Post subject:

Are calculators allowed?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 08:30:46 pm    Post subject:

Nope. I don't think anything short of a TI-89 would help you; in fact, the TI-89 isn't much help so far either. Remember, you can't simplify it to just a decimal; you have to do the exact answer.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 08:39:43 pm    Post subject:

Im not sure how they expect you to do that without photographic memory, and insane mental math skills....and having seen the trig tables in rationalized form
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 08:49:13 pm    Post subject:

It's not insane mental math; you have paper, pencil, and about five to ten minutes (10 minutes for this and another problem).

I agree that this year's contest was overly hard, in this and other areas, especially when compared to last year's.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 09:36:59 am    Post subject:

I'm feeling lazier than usual today, so I'll just attach part one of my simplification.

:D

thornahawk

P.S. "Some of the deeper truths of the real line are best appreciated in the complex plane."
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 12:01:33 pm    Post subject:

was that from Math Olympiad?

and ole 'it that's frigin' hard!!!

then again i haven't taken trig or precalc
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 03:06:31 pm    Post subject:

Nope, Duke Math Meet as stated in the title. (http://www.math.duke.edu/dumu/)

I thought I'd be able to figure it now after seeing the first part of the solution, but I still haven't got it. Grr.. I don't like trig.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 10:56:59 pm    Post subject:

Those slippery guys really went nuts on their trig identities. :sick:
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 10:58:06 am    Post subject:

Aw, bwuddy widdle twig sum biting ya hard? :D

Another hint: if you look at my partial solution carefully, you'd see a good portion of terms cancel out, leaving you with two dangling csc() terms and one (still sort of nasty) csc() series. Start from there. I know you can. ;)

thornahawk
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 05:45:24 pm    Post subject:

Well, it wouldn't be so bad if there weren't all those integer rules. I really think they're meant to distract from the actual problem.

Also, what program do you use to write out formulas?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 06:14:51 pm    Post subject:

Don't know about thornahawk, I use OpenOffice but I suppose Maple would be easier.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 08:15:27 pm    Post subject:

Isn't the answer to those questions always either 1, 0, or -1? :)

I don't know how to evaluate those sigmas, my guess would be it's a series but my trig course skipped sequences and series. Sad
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 10:10:51 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the sigma's a series. You swap the "i"s for 0, then 1, 2, and so on, and keep a running total of it all until you get to 17 or it snowballs out of control. :sick:

I think I see how it went down. I've gotta say, there's no way I could've gotten that one in 10 minutes. What kind of sicko comes up with these questions? Cool
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 11:34:14 pm    Post subject:

I used to do all my mathematical typesetting in TeX, but I switched to the less bohemian program MathType (the souped up version of Microsoft Equation Editor) from here. :)

DigiTan, I'd be inclined to the belief that the ones who wrote the questions had WAAAY too much time on their hands. :D

You may be on to something, Alex. ;)

thornahawk
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement