This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 07:03:19 pm    Post subject:

so ya, anyone here big mathletes?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 07:38:15 pm    Post subject:

Only ARML for me because I'm lazy. I haven't even heard of iTest.

What's special about team competitions that you didn't include the big individual ones in the poll?
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 08:16:57 pm    Post subject:

I guess there isn't a "No" option for those of us who are less mathletically inclined, eh?
chipmaster

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 08:47:22 pm    Post subject:

I am on my highschool math team. We did pretty good last year and went all the way to states, where we lost horrendously.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 09:23:57 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
I guess there isn't a "No" option for those of us who are less mathletically inclined, eh?
[post="61219"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Or is there... :ninja:
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 11:50:37 pm    Post subject:

thanx Sir Robin for adding in that last option. This is why i'd die in an AP stat's class. I'd make horrible polls.

ya, i do ARML too (go western MA!) but i'm only okay. btw iTest is an awesome team competition. It is sponsored by a company that make iPod accessories and the prize for the top scoring team is the latest generation of iPod. I only got dragged into it by my compsci friends, but it's amazing. The rules are you can only use the internet, but no help from other people.

yeah, i forgot about individual ones. The only ones i know are AMC 10/AMC 12 (to qualify for AIME) and the math olympiad thing.
Raster

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 12:49:54 pm    Post subject:

Im not very good when it comes to compitition.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 05:02:37 pm    Post subject:

I've did AMC 8 for 3 years and got 3rd in my school the first two years. (My twin brothers beet me) and my 8th grade year I won my school. I was on the national list of top people all three years.
I did AMC 10 once, but not in the actual competition and I got all but 1 question right.

I'm surprised you have nothing about MATHCOUNTS. It's a big team and individual competition on the national level. I did it for 2 yrs. and my team won the region both times and I got 7th and 4th regionally and 10th and 13th in the state but I never made it to nationals. (Funny how I do better at state with the harder tests. I actually got a higher score at states)

When my brothers and I went into Junior High my school started a math team and it has done better than our athletics. We swept a Detroit area competion that draws schools in from multiple states for 2 years and we also defeated most Division I schools in a GRCC competion for 3 years in a row.
I'm too old for the competions now it really stinks, I enjoyed doing them because if I did them I didn't have to take the final in math.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 06:23:48 pm    Post subject:

Mathcounts is middle school only, most people here are high school at least. I did pretty well on it a couple years ago. AMC/AIME/USAMO is coming up, we'll see how I do on that this year.

On a side note, me and a friend are doing a team math competition for middle schools in our area called NEMO, we actually held it today. We only had 5 teams show up, we're hoping to get more to come next year.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 06:35:36 pm    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Mathcounts is middle school only, most people here are high school at least. I did pretty well on it a couple years ago. AMC/AIME/USAMO is coming up, we'll see how I do on that this year.

On a side note, me and a friend are doing a team math competition for middle schools in our area called NEMO, we actually held it today. We only had 5 teams show up, we're hoping to get more to come next year.
[post="61284"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

somehow, even though i live hundreds of miles north of you, i've heard of NEMO from friends.

As for AMC, i'm very apprehensive because i signed up for AMC 12, but i'm only a sophomore. My friends told me it was really easy but they failed to mention the Calc and Trig I never learned. I'm going to have to cram.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2005 06:36:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 06:44:38 pm    Post subject:

You don't need calculus for the AMC (10 or 12), that should lighten your cram load a bit. As a matter of fact, the AIME (don't know about the USAMO) can be solved with only pre-calculus techniques as well.

I'm glad NEMO is famous. I only wish we had more participation.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2005 06:49:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 04:36:11 am    Post subject:

there's a math olympiade over here, might do that.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 14 Nov 2005 04:18:17 pm    Post subject:

I did the math team thing back in high school. I got a stack of ribbons and medals from it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement