This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
MeBeatYou

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 01:06:07 pm    Post subject:

Ok, after reading the sticky, I decided to take the liberty of attempting to look this one up Smile . After coming up with no helpful results I decided to come here. In Algebra II this year, we are graphing inequalities by measures of shading. For example, the inequality y<3x-5 you would do as follows:

1.) Plot the line y=3x-5
2.) Shade in the area below the line because y is less than the given equation.

I have looked at the Y= button on my calculator and saw that there is a way to do somewhat of a crosshatch, which would require me to know where to shade on more complicated systems of inequalities. I was wondering how I could do this on my calculator or make a program to do it for me. We have been given systems of 3 or 4 of more complicated inequlities than the example that I used and I would like to be able to check my answers with the calculator. :biggrin:
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 01:08:24 pm    Post subject:

http://education.ti.com/us/product/apps/inequal.html Wink
There's also the < function if you go on top of the \ and hit enter a bunch of times.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2005 01:09:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 07:08:46 pm    Post subject:

Wont that graph >= and not > ?
MeBeatYou

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 07:55:09 pm    Post subject:

Actually, mine doesnt have that. I have a TI-84 Plus SE and it doesn't have that as an option. I'm not quite dumb enough to skip over that :hmpf:

My choices are normal line, something that looks like a dotted line, a shaded area on top, a shaded area on bottom, a thick line, a key looking icon, and an Italic "0" looking icon. That is all I have so that is why I was wondering how to do this. As for the > or >= , It does not matter to me because I can look and know that it should be a normal line or a dotted one, I just want the shaded areas done for me.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 10:47:14 pm    Post subject:

What? The 84 doesn't have the extra lil things when you hit \??
What gives?
Raster

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 12:51:50 am    Post subject:

I remember doing that stuff in Pre-algebra :biggrin: .
MeBeatYou

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 05:51:34 pm    Post subject:

Ummm Brazcus... http://education.ti.com/us/product/apps/inequal.html that link right there. It will not let me download even after logging in. It isn't showing up as a "Free App for TI-83plus\TI-84 plus family"
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 06:04:51 pm    Post subject:

The 84+/SE have the same graph style options. Straight line, thick line, shade greater than, shade less than, animated line, animated ball (without drawing line), and dotted line.

The shade options aren't available in any mode other than Function, and the animated options aren't available in Sequential mode.

Edit: now when you set more than one of the function mode flags, then you get into fun options.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Nov 2005 06:05:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
chipmaster

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 06:42:34 pm    Post subject:

If you have an 84+se, chances are you alread have inequalz. Just run it and you will have the ability to graph = >= <= > < and it does the shading for you. Also you can graph X= graphs as well, although I believe the functionality of that is quite limited.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Nov 2005 05:36:15 pm    Post subject:

Isn't that what DrawInv( is for? I suppose you do have to first find the inverse, but that's not that hard, is it?

And for inequalities you can just test one point above and one below to see which shade option to use. If a program could edit the shading options for Y= vars, you could automate the process.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Nov 2005 05:47:28 pm    Post subject:

To draw the graph of x=f(y) you draw the inverse of y = f(x), you don't ever have to do any work.

For inequalities, one option can ALWAYS be used for < and <=, the other can ALWAYS be used for > and >=.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement