This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. NimbusOS => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> NimbusOS

» Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Nov 2005 04:38:06 pm    Post subject:

Now that some of you have tried it, what is your impression?
Is there something can be improved, or is it fine the way it is?

For reference, I include the list of changes:

Visual changes
-> Got rid of the dissolve APPS menu effect when starting
-> The popup-bar indicating LCD contrast has been removed, since I thought it was unnecessary.
-> A black (empty) battery icon now means your batts are good.
-> Replaced the old App1 logo with Sir Robin's logo.
-> A scrollbar has been added to the programs list.
-> Added the opportunity to display free memory as a percentage, rather than bytes.
Settings
-> Added a "use failsafe LCD delay" option. Maybe it will help those who have crappy LCD drivers, I don't know.
-> An options menu has been created, from where you can alter the settings.
Main screen
-> Added shortcut keys to page up/down/home/end of programs list.
-> Program information will become updated first when you release the up/down key. This speeds up the browsing.
-> Program sorter has been rewritten, and now runs @ 15 Mhz on compatible calcs. I tested NimbusOS with 250 progs on a TI-83 Plus, and the sorting speed was still acceptable Smile
Safeguards
-> You will be asked to confirm, when archiving under low battery conditions.
-> Program writeback becomes automatically disabled when batts are low.
-> Installed put-away notification for asm programs. This means APD, pressing 2nd+quit/off or linkport activity during a bcall GetKey, will not cause memleaks anymore.
-> The error handler for basic progs has been improved. Now it displays the error string as returned from TI-OS, along with the progname in which the error occured, and also the statement that triggered the event.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Nov 2005 04:48:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Nov 2005 06:40:55 pm    Post subject:

1- Don't show 'Unknown' programs! At first glance this seems like a good idea, but it shows external program levels, programs such as desdata, etc...
2- Expanding on that, perhaps allow the user to enter in from the GUI new program types, with an offset of where the description is at and where to start executing the program? Going on a tangent here...
3- In an options menu, 'Enter' and '2nd' should be inter-changable! This took me a sec to figure out.
4- 'Alpha' should go to the options menu Smile
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Nov 2005 07:18:23 pm    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
1- Don't show 'Unknown' programs! At first glance this seems like a good idea, but it shows external program levels, programs such as desdata, etc...
2- Expanding on that, perhaps allow the user to enter in from the GUI new program types, with an offset of where the description is at and where to start executing the program? Going on a tangent here...
3- In an options menu, 'Enter' and '2nd' should be inter-changable! This took me a sec to figure out.
4- 'Alpha' should go to the options menu Smile
[post="60565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for the input. The second suggestion will not be worth the effort to implement in App 1, but for the rest, I am positive.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Nov 2005 08:21:49 pm    Post subject:

My suggestions:
-Basic programs should be detected as such when they start with :: but don't have a description. In fact, maybe detecting all Basic programs should be an option.
-NimbusOS also doesn't detect if something was stored in Ans on the last line of the program (in which case, it is displayed instead of Done). Some of my programs, at least, output answers that way, so detecting this would be helpful.
-Maybe one of the options would be to wait for a keypress after Basic programs are finished running? I know I can't read output in the few milliseconds that "press any key" flashes.
-allow the user to type in an amount for the APD delay, instead of increments of 15 seconds.
-in Basic program descriptions, colons don't seem to be detected as such, but are perceived as newlines. For example, a description of "TETRIS:THE GAME" would appear as TETRIS
-the "loading..." text when loading an assembly program isn't centered and isn't uppercase. It also displays on the homescreen after exiting from NimbusOS.
-maybe keys should be more MirageOS-compatible? (Mode to exit, alpha for otpions, etc.) Even better would be the ability to change the keys.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Nov 2005 08:24:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Nov 2005 09:40:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
In fact, maybe detecting all Basic programs should be an option.

No, for the reason I listed: Many BASIC programs (in fact, I'd wager 35%) use 'subroutine' programs, sometimes as many as 30. Stick with ::. Just my 2 cents. Other than that, all looks great.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Nov 2005 10:37:06 pm    Post subject:

That's why I was suggesting making it an option, so that you could turn it off and not see the subroutines.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Nov 2005 03:05:28 am    Post subject:

My basic formula programs dont work with Nimbus because they use Ans on the last line to display the result. You might want to fix that.

Also, the pause at the end of the prog doesnt seem long enough. Maybe you can make it so that it stays paused until a key is pressed?
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Nov 2005 09:08:28 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
My basic formula programs dont work with Nimbus because they use Ans on the last line to display the result. You might want to fix that.
[post="60606"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sure, I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise it will work in a desirable way.

leofox wrote:
Also, the pause at the end of the prog doesnt seem long enough. Maybe you can make it so that it stays paused until a key is pressed?
[post="60606"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, I realize the pause should last much longer. Easily fixed.

-----------
With your comments in mind, I plan to make detection of all basic programs optional. Even if you don't run them, you still might want to archive/unlock them etc.
katmaster

Posted: 05 Nov 2005 03:20:59 pm    Post subject:

where do we sign up to try it :biggrin:
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Nov 2005 04:59:23 pm    Post subject:

I haven't found any bugs so far, but I definately agree with the basic programs not being shown unless you want them too.
I suggest to make the choice of showing all basic programs, only ones starting with :: and showing none.
I'm not sure why, this might be a bug but the same thing happened with wizards on my calc, sometimes the far left 5 or 6 pixels don't change when the screen gets scrolled and all the titles of games get messed up. I have an 84+ silver. OS v. original on calc.
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Nov 2005 10:10:55 am    Post subject:

I agree about the Basic programs not being shown(unless you enable some option) and also no-shell assembly programs. I mean, on my calc, all I have is fakeres3, some game levels, and a few of those blue screen progs. I don't really ever run those from a shell anyway(fakeres3 won't work from it anyway).

Also, just curious why you don't use [MODE] as a quit button.

bananaman: try enabling safe lcd delay from the settings menu, it gets rid of some of the wierd visual bugs. (at least on the 84+SE)
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Nov 2005 03:54:06 pm    Post subject:

I looked at the bug topic and my error has been detected by one other 84+ user, it's exactly the same as the first post in that topic.
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Nov 2005 07:27:38 pm    Post subject:

If all 84+SE users have a problem with the display unless the option to use a safe LCD delay is selected, why don't you have NimbusOS automatically enable the LCD setting if the calc is an 84+SE.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Nov 2005 07:51:58 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't matter if you have LCD safety set. It always does it. No matter what your settings are.
I tinkered around more and it only happens when moving the selector and the screen doesn't scroll.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 01:44:44 pm    Post subject:

katmaster wrote:
where do we sign up to try it  :biggrin:
[post="60623"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

http://david.unitedti.org/nimbus

bananaman wrote:
I haven't found any bugs so far, but I definately agree with the basic programs not being shown unless you want them too. 
I suggest to make the choice of showing all basic programs, only ones starting with :: and showing none.
[post="60626"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I say that's a good point. We will add something like this to the options screen:
1. Display unsupported progs (Default: off)
2. Display nostub asm progs (Default: off)

CompWiz wrote:
Also, just curious why you don't use [MODE] as a quit button. 
[post="60698"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It simply didn't occur to me Smile It will be added.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 01:48:56 pm    Post subject:

CompWiz wrote:
If all 84+SE users have a problem with the display unless the option to use a safe LCD delay is selected, why don't you have NimbusOS automatically enable the LCD setting if the calc is an 84+SE.
[post="60753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Because not all of them has bad LCD drivers. The "Safe LCD delay" is just a quick fix, which will slow down the display update frequency in many games when enabled, as a side effect. Btw, NimbusOS itself always uses the LCD in so-called 'safe' mode.
chipmaster

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 04:54:20 pm    Post subject:

Plus the LCD safe thing does not fix the problem. Sad
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 07:00:54 pm    Post subject:

Try This program. It fixes the lcd driver settings on 84+, 84+SE, and 83+SE. The difference is noticible in some programs.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2005 07:02:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
chipmaster

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 07:04:58 pm    Post subject:

I tried that and I still am noticing a problem. The only difference I notice after running that program is that the leftmost portion of the screen takes a little while to appear on startup, but the affect I previously described still happens Sad
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 08:24:27 pm    Post subject:

David: Do you plan to ever support MirageOS programs?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement