This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Raster

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 11:58:09 pm    Post subject:

Ok, this is cool that there is a science thread up, now I can get some posts in Razz .

Now, I need some information of what metals are best to use to electrolisize water?
I heard a combination of these elements:
Lead
Copper
Zinc
Steal

But all of them I have been having bad luck with.
Another question is... what is better more current, more voltage, or a combination of the two?

Yes, I have used google, I can find much information, exept "Simple Science Fair Project" and stuff like that.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2005 11:48:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 03:42:08 am    Post subject:

I've heard just plain old tap water works fine.. or do you mean for the pins to put in the water? Try carbon.

Of course, you can always do it the old way: try a lot of different combinations and see what works best.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 01:50:25 pm    Post subject:

Oh yeah... I remember I got third place on the science fair 7th grade for doing electrolysis.

I used two of the big batteries (the ones with two lil' springs attached on the top: what are they called?). Make sure you put salt in the water (or baking soda if you don't want chloride as a byproduct): that increases the conductibility of the water.
Also, if you want to catch the gases and show that there's twice as much Hydrogen as Oxygen (H20), use two bottles and balloons. Make sure you run it overnight before the fair and use plenty of water (maybe 2L bottles).

Maybe I could have gotten second place if I had mentioned different metals and such... that's a good idea. Good luck!

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2005 01:52:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raster

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 05:44:08 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Oh yeah... I remember I got third place on the science fair 7th grade for doing electrolysis.

I used two of the big batteries (the ones with two lil' springs attached on the top: what are they called?). Make sure you put salt in the water (or baking soda if you don't want chloride as a byproduct): that increases the conductibility of the water.
Also, if you want to catch the gases and show that there's twice as much Hydrogen as Oxygen (H20), use two bottles and balloons. Make sure you run it overnight before the fair and use plenty of water (maybe 2L bottles).

Maybe I could have gotten second place if I had mentioned different metals and such... that's a good idea. Good luck!
[post="60020"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I understand of how it works. I just want to make it more efficient, and get some more information on what is the best way of electrolysis. But Thanks anyway. I may post on my site of what I have accomplished.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 05:50:02 pm    Post subject:

Well, first off: don't use distilled water sine it's not a very good conductor.
Also, try adding an acid or other things like lemon juice to the water.

Hope that helps...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 06:41:28 pm    Post subject:

This is a real coinscidence because I was thinking of this website I saw a long time ago on exploding water. They had nice pictures.

Anyway, I think regular driking water works, the big problem is all the nasty corrosion your wind up with. I tried paperclip eletrodes in high school and came home to a rust cocktail.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2005 06:41:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 06:50:25 pm    Post subject:

Distilled water and some nitrous chloride is perfect.

And if I remember correctly, it's more about the contact surfaces of the electrodes with the water than the amount of current, voltage, or ions (salt/acidity) or whatever.

edit: on second thought, don't use nitrous chloride, aka salt. Electrolisys of a nitrous chloride solution releases Cl2 which isn't very healthy. Check wikipedia to find out why. Luckily there's plenty of alternative ions you can use along with Na.

Sigh, if only I still had my chemistry book. :<

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2005 06:59:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raster

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 07:03:21 pm    Post subject:

I understand the dangers of many elements (Thats why I want to make Na, DONT ASK/TELL ME HOW!). I just want to experiment with water as practice. Before I start separating other compounds into elements.

And, I have been using Lead (Solder has a high about of lead in it), and so far it has gone well. I also used 2 AAA batterys. At first I used a 9V battery which has more voltage then current compared to the 2 AAA. So, It seems more current works better than more voltage.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 09:54:30 pm    Post subject:

I love electrolysis! Use a tap water/NaCl solution, and graphite electrodes made from a split pencil. Or just skip the electrolysis and just make an carbon-arc with the electrodes and melt pens in class with it :dry:

Edit:
===
oh, and the 9v's do work better. The big batteries are 6 volts, also called lantern batteries, 2 of those will last longer than 2 9v's, but wont electrolyze as fast...the ultimate would be an old toaster plug (when using AC beware of frying yourself), or a car battery...

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2005 09:56:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raster

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 10:04:21 pm    Post subject:

The 9V battery didnt work with me, all it did was heat up...
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 10:13:12 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
I love electrolysis! Use a tap water/NaCl solution, and graphite electrodes made from a split pencil. Or just skip the electrolysis and just make an carbon-arc with the electrodes and melt pens in class with it Dry  [post="60076"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
...must...learn...secret...of...pen...melting....
I've gotten pens really really hot before by rubbing them back and forth for a while on a piece of cardboard, and put some in candles, but never actually meleted them yet.

Raster wrote:
I understand the dangers of many elements (Thats why I want to make Na, DONT ASK/TELL ME HOW!).
I remember some sort of class (5th or 6th grade) at a local college where the teacher showed us what happens when you put pieces of (old + impure) sodium in a paper boat, sing the Gilligan's Island Theme song, then make it rain*

*It burned, then blew up as he sprayed more water on. Right in the faces of all the kids whose noses were pressed up against the hood glass. :)

</offtopic>
Raster

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 10:55:14 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
...I remember some sort of class (5th or 6th grade) at a local college where the teacher showed us what happens when you put pieces of (old + impure) sodium in a paper boat, sing the Gilligan's Island Theme song, then make it rain*

*It burned, then blew up as he sprayed more water on. Right in the faces of all the kids whose noses were pressed up against the hood glass.  :)

</offtopic>
[post="60079"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, its on topic. Thats why I dont want to tell anyone how to get sodium out of a sodium based compound. And now, teachers are not allowed to have any of the Alkali metals (the ones in the first Group).
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 12:46:16 am    Post subject:

Well, the previous posters were right, for starters: no distilled/deionized water.

Graphite or copper as electrodes should be fine for most purposes. Not too much salt or you'd be in for a, ahem, "rude" surprise. :)

On the subject of sodium-making and other things to electrolyze, I can do no better than to direct the curious majority to one of the forums I frequent:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk

thornahawk
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 11:50:44 am    Post subject:

We used 12 V adapters in science/chem class at highschool.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 01:25:13 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I love electrolysis! Use a tap water/NaCl solution, and graphite electrodes made from a split pencil. Or just skip the electrolysis and just make an carbon-arc with the electrodes and melt pens in class with it Dry  [post="60076"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
...must...learn...secret...of...pen...melting....
I've gotten pens really really hot before by rubbing them back and forth for a while on a piece of cardboard, and put some in candles, but never actually meleted them yet.

hold the two electrodes while touching each other onto the pen and wait till you see smoke or it starts sinking in. Great for killing tent caterpillars too.
Raster

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 10:05:59 pm    Post subject:

I need to find out where I can get some chemistry supplys for a cheap price... If anyone has any good sites, please tell me!
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 08:41:09 am    Post subject:

pyrotek.org
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement