This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 02:30:48 pm    Post subject:

Game Idea
You travel to hidden mystical places in a fantasy world where there's a lot of nature to find a number of divine artifacts. In these mystical places that you enter you must match the flow (movement, rythm) of the present (animated) plants and animals by singing, dancing, or making music with an instrument. This will cause visual changes to the plants and animals. Patterns will emerge, and the visual aspects of the flow will become more obvious and graphical. Of course, it will be harder to tune into a fast changing flow than a flow that is changing slowly or not at all.

The better you tune into the environment, the more the visual aspects of the environment changes and the more patterns emerge. At a certain moment you are completely in tune with the (present) environment and these patterns and other visual changes will stay. Then you can draw an item from the changed environment (new instrument, new clothing, something awesome I'm not going to tell yet Wink, etc) by drawing your (character's) finger over any pattern and equip or wear it.

These items will influence (improve!) your capability to tune into places.

You will have to find a way to access and find a number of divine places in the world where you can tune in and find the special, divine, artifacts you seek. Once you combine all the artifacts something nice and secret will happen.

Game Flow Design
This lays out the theoretical flow of the game. Menu's do not need to be words on the screen, but may let you choose between options in a different way, or maybe they will just be nicely drawn words on a screen. We'll see.

Main Menu

• Play

• New Game

• Type your character's name.
      • Choose your character's gender.
        A girl and a boy are drawn on the screen, you choose which you want to be.
      • Customise character.
        You get to change the appearance of your character by selecting a body part and moving or adding x pixels. This is saved then saved.
      • Choose your style, dancing, singing, or playing an isntrument.
        This determines what item(s) you start with and what skill will be high when you start. You develop skills by using them and you can always use all skills, so you can always change to a new style if you want to, or eventually even combine styles.
      • Confirmation menu: confirm / start over / back to step x.
      • A nice intro scene that can be skipped.

• Continue Game

• Travel
      • The basic map outlines and known places are drawn when this state of the game is entered.
      • More details are drawn on the map while the character travels (walks around on the screen).
      • Enter Area

• Draw basic area. Water, plants, animals, etc.
        • Draw character. (big enough to show items and stuff)

• Gameplay

• Get player input.
        • Animate environment according to "flow."

• Reward Sequence

• Nice Animation
        • Get Reward
          A hand cursor is shown on the screen, you draw a pattern on some of the patterns and other graphical changes in the environment. The game analyses what you selected and turns it into an item. Select a triangle and it could be a hat. Select a line and it could be a flute. etc. This "could be" checking won't be done untill you try to equip it as something, you can wear anything shaped like a hat as a hat, but you can also end up playing a fantasy instrument that looks like a shoe. Fun.

• Back to travel.

• Character Overview
    Stats (skill levels) and what she looks like.
    Worn Equipment.
    Found items.
    etc.
  • Credits
  • Quit
Pause menu

• Character Overview

• View
    • Equip

• Save
  • Load
  • Quit

It will be written in basic but use an assembly library. Currently I'm looking at codex, but I may change to xlib, or a custom library.

Discuss.
axcho

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 03:27:37 pm    Post subject:

Wait, this is for the calculator?!

Wow, well I was going to suggest something, but I assumed it would have colors and a high screen resolution. This sounds like a very interesting project and if you need any help with it I'll see what I can do.

How are you generating the patterns? Maybe you could use CATs for the overworld map? I'll try and get the CAT Lab out soon so you can see what it would look like with random CATs.

I was going to suggest using some sort of L-systems for the patterns and plants. Here is an introduction to it if you are not familiar with them:
http://algorithmicbotany.org/vmm-deluxe/

Do you know much about Aikido? The "ai" in Aikido means harmony or blending, and it goes well with your theme. If you want a Japanese title, you can use that word! It also has a homophone meaning love, which is drawn with a different character.

I'd be interested in seeing some concept art for this game!

Is there an element of exploration in this game, or is it purely a rhythm game? I think that exploration would be an important feature. Different places could have different types of environments - all algorithmically generated, of course.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 03:41:11 pm    Post subject:

holy smokes Arcane! It would take me a while to program this on the computer.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 03:42:09 pm    Post subject:

Yes, this is for the calculator. I'll make a Java version some time though, maybe as a concept or maybe after the calc game.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a CAT?

That link is very interesting, but I don't believe the calc is capable of generating the places so they will probably be manually designed and stored in the game. Even just drawing them will be hard enough for the calc. Maybe without TiBasic though.. hmm..

I'm making some concept calc art right now.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 04:59:48 pm    Post subject:

Concept animation (don't panic if it's down, working on uploading it here on uti)

[attachment=863:attachment]

edit:
/giggle :ninja:

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jul 2006 05:15:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 05:24:53 pm    Post subject:

Has there been anything like this before (not just in calculators)? I'm excited
about the concept—It looks like something I could really get addicted to... 8)

What other scenery should be included? I'm thinking the base of a waterfall.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Nov 2005 12:51:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 05:58:26 pm    Post subject:

It'll definately have some african- and south american (aztec) jungle themes, maybe australian bush, new zealand mountains, and of course a special beach and 1 to 3 special fantasy theme's I'm not going to post yet. :)

Stuff like:
various rocks (these may be possible to generate randomly)
normal and jungle trees and plants
those silly australian trees
cacti (sp?)
aztec fountains, waterfalls, piramids, etc
some wierd fantasy stuff (secret for now Razz)

Of course you start at an "ordinary" forest, or a plain like in the animation above.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Oct 2005 06:01:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 06:13:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for posting the concept art. So the environment grows over time. I hope it can be algorithmically generated. Otherwise it would get boring pretty easily, depending on how the gameplay works. There have to be varying environments to respond to, otherwise the game becomes like Galaxian.

For a simple example of algorithmically generated graphics, you could take a look at my mandala generator.

I am very curious of how the controls will work. And how is the "flow" represented?

Why do you want to program this in basic? I would do it in assembly if it were my project. If you end up doing it in basic I can try to make a CAT routine that interfaces with basic. Maybe give it a few numbers in Ans, and call the program? And there are probably other algorithmic ways of generating graphics.

CAT stands for Cellular Automata Tile. I guess I'm the only one who uses that term.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 08:38:39 pm    Post subject:

Im loving this project already.

is it just me or does that guy look swedish?

Last edited by Guest on 27 Oct 2005 08:40:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 11:54:17 pm    Post subject:

Heh, sounds like a fun game Smile. Timing/Music games combined with an RPG into an all original new concept Smile
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Oct 2005 08:44:12 am    Post subject:

wow sound nice and original, I cant wait to see what you will co0me up with Smile
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Oct 2005 09:32:56 am    Post subject:

axcho wrote:
Thanks for posting the concept art. So the environment grows over time. I hope it can be algorithmically generated. Otherwise it would get boring pretty easily, depending on how the gameplay works. There have to be varying environments to respond to, otherwise the game becomes like Galaxian.

For a simple example of algorithmically generated graphics, you could take a look at my mandala generator.

I am very curious of how the controls will work. And how is the "flow" represented?

Why do you want to program this in basic? I would do it in assembly if it were my project. If you end up doing it in basic I can try to make a CAT routine that interfaces with basic. Maybe give it a few numbers in Ans, and call the program? And there are probably other algorithmic ways of generating graphics.[post="59759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
No, the environment doesn't grow over time, there's a graphical effect that comes into play to show how well "in tune" you are with the environment. This graphical effect consists of curves and patterns. The "flow" of the environment is represented by the environment being animated in a certain rythm. (which will be made up of a 4x4 pattern)

Places will be randomly generated, but only in composition, so where plants and animals are placed. Generating how each plant looks may be something for a PC version.

This composition may be done by giving each object and place surrounding boxes that determine what can be placed there and how. A scene will hold a box for the character, boxes for animals, boxes for plants, boxes for trees, boxes for water, a box for the sky, and boxes for sky objects. In turn objects can hold boxes for limbs, branches, and so on. On a programming level this just means that predesigned sprites will be placed dynamically but relatively to eachother at load time (for the random levels), and will move relative to their original position at run-time.

I wish to do this in TIBasic because I know TIBasic.
axcho

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 01:11:13 am    Post subject:

I guess I'll back off then, and let you do this. I'll concentrate my energies on a "random RPG" with CATs and perhaps your people sprites if you don't mind?

Quote:
I thought you knew everything! I guess I just assumed that you were proficient in assembly programming.

So how will you store the graphics for the game?
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 09:24:06 am    Post subject:

hmm axcho plz dont start BASIC vs asm wars on UTI, I though we were trying to support both basic and asm here and arcane is free of making this project in basic if he wish, asm is not done for everyone you know

Last edited by Guest on 31 Oct 2005 09:24:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 12:06:10 pm    Post subject:

axcho wrote:
I guess I'll back off then, and let you do this. I'll concentrate my energies on a "random RPG" with CATs and perhaps your people sprites if you don't mind?
I'd be honoured if you used my people sprites. :)

axcho wrote:
Quote:
I thought you knew everything! I guess I just assumed that you were proficient in assembly programming.
I've had a regular TI83 (which I gave away to my sister) and only had a functioning cable for like a day, when I made one as a miniature project for physics class in highschool. And VTI always gave syntax errors when trying to run assembly programs. And still does. So I've never really had a chance of learning assembly, but I have a good.. basic understanding of it.

axcho wrote:
So how will you store the graphics for the game?
[post="60098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The objects will probably be subroutines with line()s with relative positions in them so they can be placed anywhere. Or, if using a library, however that library uses sprites.

The graphical tune-in effect will probably be formulas for regions around objects (each object with it's own formula for the shape of the lines around it) or something like that.

Will have to do some testing with a Java concept version.

kevin, I he isn't starting a basic v asm war.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Oct 2005 12:06:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 03:02:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
hmm axcho plz dont start BASIC vs asm wars on UTI, I though we were trying to support both basic and asm here and arcane is free of making this project in basic if he wish, asm is not done for everyone you know
Kevin, look at my ticalc account. Do you think I'm about to start a basic versus assembly war? Very Happy

Quote:
I thought you knew everything!
This was meant to be a compliment. Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding.

[EDIT]
Rambling on about TI-BASIC and assembly programming...
I like both TI-BASIC and assembly. I started with TI-BASIC, and only now am I starting to program in assembly. I did read several z80 tutorials only a year or so after I was introduced to calculator programming, though. I enjoyed thinking about bits and all the shifting and masking that goes along with it, though until recently TI-BASIC occupied most of my attention.

The reason I like programming in TI-BASIC is because I like working at the limits of the language, where I can feel the fundamental structure. It is quite easy to find a limit to TI-BASIC! But every now and then one may find that the walls may be pushed back a bit farther than expected. Discovering textsprites and plotsprites may be an example of this. The reason I chose TI-BASIC is because it was the first language I was able to practice on extensively. It is so portable, I could program in class, while riding in a car, on trips. I always liked little portable things, and the calculator holds a world of a programming environment to explore. I never had a Gameboy or other handheld computer before the calculator. I like making stuff better than playing it anyway. There is more to explore in TI-BASIC than in the strategies of Super Mario.

Assembly programming also allows working at the limits of a system. At my level of experience, though, there is not such a noticable difference between an assembly program at the limits of its capabilities and one that is horribly unoptimized. On the other hand, it is easy to tell if a TI-BASIC program is optimally optimized. I have compared it to a Haiku poem that is beautiful within its strict limitations. Assembly is not so portable, either. However, z80 for the calculator does still hold the appeal of creating a miniature world. I also have found myself hitting against the limits of TI-BASIC, so I am increasingly turning to assembly for my new projects.

I can't say much for TI-BASIC with assembly libraries, since I have never made any such programs. For me, I would rather use assembly only when I need the extra power. I don't find TI-BASIC any easier for the high level organization of programs, so I probably would not choose to deal with the extra hassles of interfacing two languages. However, I haven't made any assembly programs which require much management, so maybe my attitude will change with experience. And I'm sure that some people find it more convenient, or enjoy the challenge of this interfacing.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Oct 2005 05:47:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement