This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. NimbusOS => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> NimbusOS

» Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 07:10:58 am    Post subject:

Status update
I apologize for the silence around NimbusOS. I know it seems hugely confusing
that I first declared "development ceased", and then began programming :)

I also said I was going to hand over the development, but the plan has changed.
I will now try to finish NimbusOS App 1 myself. Everything on the
to do-list I posted at http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=3612
is already done, except the options screen, which I plan to complete
next week. That will also mean beta 6.0 is done!!
NimbusOS stills need a couple of new icons and a splash screen, though.

Sir Robin and leofox, don't take this personal: I don't have any doubts about your
skills, and you will probably have more to do after the App 1 release.
Thanks!
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 04:19:28 pm    Post subject:

Great to hear that this is still going good Very Happy.
*Dances in a circle and then falls down, and at the same time types this!*
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 04:34:59 pm    Post subject:

this counds very interesting. one good thing would be to have support for all the spiffy file-types of DoorsCS, that way people who use those file wouldn't be left out. if it's good, it could become the standard shell for all calcs even more than MirageOS is now. it would also help if you had somethng similar to Mirage's GUI Files. then people could make their own interface he way they want it. if all this would increase the file-size too much, though, then don't do it. the Mem restrictions on the 83+ are just too big to work within very well.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 07:33:24 pm    Post subject:

heres an idea. Add support for USB drives, using an USB8x type driver, but so that programs stored on a drive wouldn't have be moved back and forth when they want to use it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 07:38:44 pm    Post subject:

That isn't a feature most people would use, and might push you over the edge memory-wise to two flash pages. If you really wanted to include things like that, I'd say you could release a Lite version and a Full version with unnecessary features. And it's not something to be worried about just yet...
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 07:43:21 pm    Post subject:

David has been working on this shell for ages. Even back when I was still a member of Cirrus. To add more features such as the ones you have suggested would mean that the app would take longer/more effort, and puts more pressure on the programmer, which in turn can cause them to lose interest. (I know this from personal experience.)

I am glad to hear that you are working on Nimbus again David, and I can hardly wait for it's completion. No super fancy stuff let's just see it get done first :biggrin: good luck.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 08:13:45 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. After we get it done, we can think about adding extra features.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 02:34:23 am    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
heres an idea. Add support for USB drives, using an USB8x type driver, but so that programs stored on a drive wouldn't have be moved back and forth when they want to use it.
[post="59466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I believe Dan is going to do that in MirageOS. Although i agree that you should finish the app first.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 12:23:25 pm    Post subject:

Justin W. wrote:
David has been working on this shell for ages. Even back when I was still a member of Cirrus. To add more features such as the ones you have suggested would mean that the app would take longer/more effort, and puts more pressure on the programmer, which in turn can cause them to lose interest. (I know this from personal experience.)

I am glad to hear that you are working on Nimbus again David, and I can hardly wait for it's completion. No super fancy stuff let's just see it get done first :biggrin: good luck.
[post="59471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks, I'll need it! :)

As previously said, no new features will be added to the App 1 release. However, the project team is wide open to suggestions concerning subsequent releases.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 12:32:33 pm    Post subject:

So are you providing MOS support in this release? If so, I might want to talk to you...
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 03:25:57 pm    Post subject:

ooohhh....a rival...!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 08:12:16 pm    Post subject:

I liked the name, my link cable isn't working (again!) so I can't try the software. Not that I have many assembly programs to use shells with..
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Oct 2005 08:35:17 pm    Post subject:

BES has been Asm since version 3. Anyway, back on topic, how long till release of beta 6?
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 04:39:10 am    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
So are you providing MOS support in this release? If so, I might want to talk to you...
[post="59525"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So you can talk me into giving away the MOS libs? Just Joking
Nope, no MOS support in App 1.

elfprince13 wrote:
BES has been Asm since version 3. Anyway, back on topic, how long till release of beta 6?
[post="59621"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's progressing nicely, I am creating the GUI for the options screen right now, next step is to make it alter the settings. Then, I'll probably do some final optimizations, and after that do some beta testing myself, before the real beta testing starts.
My best guess is that beta 6.0 will be finished in this week.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Oct 2005 04:03:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MissingIntellect

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 03:33:37 pm    Post subject:

It's great to see this project alive again, and it's looking great! Very Happy
I'd also love to use my assembly skills to help contribute to the project in the future! Smile
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 07:33:17 am    Post subject:

Status update
I'm a little bit behind schedule, since I discovered a couple of bugs, which interrupted the planned development for a while. I said the beta would be done this weekend, but as it turns out, it will be ready for public beta testing next week.
It's progressing though, and I am about to let beta 6.0 run on a real calculator (my own), for the very first time.
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 02:53:38 pm    Post subject:

where do we sign up for beta testing? or can anyone who wants to dl it beta-test it?

Last edited by Guest on 29 Oct 2005 02:54:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 03:45:51 pm    Post subject:

aforsy wrote:
where do we sign up for beta testing? or can anyone who wants to dl it beta-test it?  [post="59938"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The beta testing will be restricted, meaning that you'll have to sign up using a webform in order to try it.

A news item will be posted at United TI, with further instructions within a couple of days.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Oct 2005 05:54:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 03:53:01 pm    Post subject:

sounds good. i'm looking forward to it. i have no idea why, but MirageOS always made me feel uneasy, so i'm interesed in there being an alternative.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Nov 2005 06:30:04 pm    Post subject:

Status update
NimbusOS App 1, beta 6.0 has been completed!!

Beta testing sign-up will be available tomorrow (Wednesday). See you then, goodnight Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement