This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Fate by Fire: The Sword of Neisius => Your Projects
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 09:22:49 pm    Post subject:

For the first time in nearly 6 months, I sat down to begin working on my project. Hard to believe it's been that long, yet I still remember all my coding techniques, and still understand the language as if it was just yesterday that I had ceased to program it.

However...somewhere in the mix of transfering files from my parents old computer to my new laptop, something vital has gone missing. All the graphics and tiles (the essentials to this beautiful work in progress) have dissappeared. I have no copies of it on backup, and unfortunately since the transfer, my parents hd has been completely reformatted.

I will be trying to contact Cyan to see if he has any of the old files (fingers crossed).

If he does not have the files, then it is likely this project will die.

This does not mean I am leaving though. If worse comes to worse, I have plans for another project (grayscale) although I'm not going to release details at this time.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 09:30:49 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely not; you will remake them... that game had graphics good enough to make m- a kid pee his pants impatiently.

Ok, if it has to happen I suppose it has too.

*Sighs*
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 09:38:01 pm    Post subject:

Is there any way you can extract them from the 8xps you already have? Or even get them from old screenshots?

[edit]
You know, graphics always seem to turn out better after they're redone. Just how much did you lose?

Last edited by Guest on 20 Oct 2005 09:49:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 09:44:21 pm    Post subject:

Certainly you could dissassemble the 8xp's.
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 09:59:48 pm    Post subject:

A little relief I found half the tiles in a demo pic I made a while back. Still none of the others yet.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 10:12:51 pm    Post subject:

Most of us are hoping and praying right along with you. Com'on, com'on...
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 10:32:05 pm    Post subject:

You do understand offsite backups, right? Stuff like freewebpage.org is immensely valuable.

Glad to hear another great project has risen from the dead.
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 10:46:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm just hoping that somewhere in my infinate stack of cd's I have the rest of the tiles somewhere.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Oct 2005 10:57:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 08:49:37 am    Post subject:

I think you will finish it, if some tiles are missing you could remake them or we could help making some. Maybe they are on one of your old web host but I really hope to see this finished Smile
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 10:39:26 am    Post subject:

Post sprite requests for the ones you couldn't recover.

That's what the community is for. <3
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 09:02:07 pm    Post subject:

Other than the graphics and tiles going AWOL, are there any other essentials missing in action? * Really hopes Z80 code isn't one of them *
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 09:50:55 pm    Post subject:

No all my original code is here, however most of it has to be rewritten as it's scattered pieces and lacks any real organization. I have the majority of the major routines I need, although I never really could decide on a decent scrolling engine.

At first I wanted to do smooth scrolling, but with grayscale, any thing that moves too quickly, such as character and tiles become a blurred mess.

Then there was tile scrolling in which the map would move behind the character one tile at a time. This resulted in a vary fast paced type scrolling, however graphics in motion suffered horribly, and the motion of the character is dicey.

My most recent thought was 8 direction movement(smooth) with Zelda style map movement, in which the character would reach the edge of the screen and load the next map section, although slightly agrivating it seems like the best alternative, as the map remains fluent and is much more effective in regards to animated tiles

If anyone has a better suggestion/solution, please feel free to help. The coding isn't an issue to me, it's te theory behind it.

oh all tiles are 16*16

Last edited by Guest on 22 Oct 2005 09:52:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 10:34:11 pm    Post subject:

i guess you will announce this on Maxcoderz as wel soon, right?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 11:35:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, we've got to get the word out on this one.

Speaking of MaxC, there's been a lot of buzz over there about Duck's Grayscale Engine. I don't know what it is or if it's what you're looking for, but it sounds promising.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Oct 2005 11:36:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 02:41:08 am    Post subject:

I believe this game already uses Ducks engine. However, the guys at revsoft made a faster one. You might want to check that out.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 07:00:08 am    Post subject:

Revsoft Good Idea. Bookmark us now Smile

a, beaten to it by Leofox. Yes, Jim E made a faster one. It's bigger too (unrolled loops) but I don't think it adds too much more. It uses SMC though I believe.

Even funner; he also made a greyscale tilemappper! http://www.revsoft.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57

Last edited by Guest on 23 Oct 2005 07:01:41 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 11:08:03 am    Post subject:

SMC would cause problems in apps unless you exported the grayscale code to an appvar or something...
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 11:34:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It uses SMC though I believe.

I think this is only certain routines however, for example when doing 'xor' & 'or' logic (it's so hard to talk about booleans when you have to use the words 'or' & 'and' =/). Or something like that. Yeah.
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 07:13:01 pm    Post subject:

Duck's routine also uses some SMC, but I modded it with his permission to make it applicable to my application. Speed isn't everything in this, as to much speed cause horrendous blurring. I think I'll stick with the Zelda style, it seems most appropriate and I need to get this project back in motion.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 01:08:48 am    Post subject:

Let me know if you need something disassembled.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement