This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 04:42:21 pm    Post subject:

I am starting a starcraft game (much like the real one) but i want to do slight scrolling...
I am going to use a matrix (it is so easy that way) and 10x10 sprites (8x8 for real i think)...
I want it so that if you goto the bottm of the screen it will load the next line in but, should i clr the screen and then reload it all, or just relaod a whole screen??
if i could do it one sprite at a time that would be pretty kewl

If I do A->LSC(1

Can i send LSC(1) to player 2 (over the cable) with out having to pause the game? and without using a asm prgm (asm is okay though)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 04:49:49 pm    Post subject:

JesusFreak wrote:
I want it so that if you goto the bottm of the screen it will load the next line in but, should i clr the screen and then reload it all, or just relaod a whole screen??

Unless you want the sprites to be drawn on top of each other (messes things up) you'll need to clear the screen first.

Quote:
Can i send LSC(1) to player 2 (over the cable) with out having to pause the game? and without using a asm prgm (asm is okay though)

No, it needs to be in pause to 'send' anything.
Ben Trettel

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 05:11:15 pm    Post subject:

My answer to your first question:
There are many ASM programs to make the screen scroll in a direction.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Jul 2003 05:11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 07:07:10 pm    Post subject:

Nope you must be in pause in order to send/ recieve. But, gl i hope it tursn out good b/c starcraft is the best game ever created Very Happy .
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 09:11:42 pm    Post subject:

wow the send thing sucks, i thought i did the send before...

That really will change the game though (i starcraft it sends data over tothe other comps. without pausing)

Only problem now is if player two puts a character on the same screen as the other player...

Also can i add a list to another ie. LSC1(1-60 and add LSC2(1-60 to the end? and store it to LSC3(1-120

and what are the ASM prgms that i could use?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Aug 2003 03:44:42 am    Post subject:

JesusFreak wrote:
Also can i add a list to another ie. LSC1(1-60 and add LSC2(1-60 to the end?  and store it to LSC3(1-120

60->LSC1
60->LSC2
120->LSC3
LSC1+LSC2->LSC3

works unless dim(LSC3) < dim(LSC1) + dim(LSC2

Last edited by Guest on 01 Aug 2003 03:45:16 am; edited 1 time in total
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 01 Aug 2003 04:19:14 pm    Post subject:

is there a way i can pause for a set amout of itme like you pause and if he doesn't hit enter in 5 seconds it automatic does the enter command?

that way i can pause for like a sec every 30 or so and sent the info really quickly...
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 01 Aug 2003 04:20:13 pm    Post subject:

just thought...

I could make it turn based, but i don't like turn based very much
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Aug 2003 06:35:56 am    Post subject:

JesusFreak wrote:
is there a way i can pause for a set amout of itme like you pause and if he doesn't hit enter in 5 seconds it automatic does the enter command?

that way i can pause for like a sec every 30 or so and sent the info really quickly...

nope :(

But I'm sure it could work in a non-turn based way, can't remember how though.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2003 06:37:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 02 Aug 2003 07:37:53 pm    Post subject:

it can't work in a non-turn based way b/c you need to send character locations, and terran changes (buildings, trees being blown up etc.)

I was thinking of doing the game in a advance wars way, a marine has attack of one and dfence of one, all characters have 10hp, but different attack and defence stats., a tank would have 10attack, 10 defence or what not... just a thought
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 01:11:26 pm    Post subject:

hey... how do i set 0 to a matrix, i like mean every slot (18x12)
Ben Trettel

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 01:32:26 pm    Post subject:

You do Fill(0,[A]
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 02:39:05 pm    Post subject:

thanks, i have never used a matrix before, but i need to for the starcraft game...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 02:44:37 pm    Post subject:

Matrixes (or matrice ? matrices?) are slow and take a lot of memory though, you should use lsits or strings since they are faster and take much less memory.

Anything you can do with a matrix can be done with a list or a string.

(lists are also a bit slow though)

Last edited by Guest on 03 Aug 2003 02:45:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Trettel

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 02:49:20 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. And stings are searchable, too.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 02:57:01 pm    Post subject:

But there's only 10 of them and they get overwritten all the time, so you should go for lists and use strings to hold temporary data.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Aug 2003 04:17:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Trettel

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 06:50:19 pm    Post subject:

Strings are best for database use because they are extremely small, you can Archive and UnArchive them in programs, and search them.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 07:45:56 pm    Post subject:

haven't learned to use strings yet, other than for names and such.

Also the matrix is faster, which is better for the game, when you have to load so many (not really though) sprites in.

Also A matrix is easier to manage than a list which i have done before, but the list was rather large, 4 screens of 55 sprites (220 in all) might not take up much memory but it is not very fast to search the list, while i align my matrix to where the cursor is at all times.

at wait, i can archive and unarchive a matix in a prgm?, hummm..... it really doesn't matter b/c each time you play the game will last for less the 30mins i hope (not really longer would be better but then it gets repetive) and 30 mins is enough time to play the game during lunch or study hall, so Matrix [A] (should i change that b/c it is used to often) will be over written or can be deleted, b/c the game would be over and ther would be no need to save the matrix like you would do with a string or list.

Here is the second question (i think): do you guys think i should make pre made levels too (right now i have a random map generator) that way i would feel more like a real game then a pur random one.

Third Q (question): I was wondering how to make a AI or if someone would like to help make an AI for the game, but right now two players is my first priorty

Q Four: should i make 2 players onone or two calcs. or both?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 05:20:14 am    Post subject:

JesusFreak wrote:
Also the matrix is faster, which is better for the game, when you have to load so many (not really though) sprites in.

Lists are faster, they just are.

Quote:
Also A matrix is easier to manage than a list which i have done before, but the list was rather large, 4 screens of 55 sprites (220 in all) might not take up much memory but it is not very fast to search the list, while i align my matrix to where the cursor is at all times.

Then you should try using a better routine to search the list.

Quote:
Third Q (question):   I was wondering how to make a AI or if someone would like to help make an AI for the game, but right now two players is my first priorty

All you need is a bunch of if..then.else statements that decide what the opnnonent will do, where to move units, what buildings to build, etc. Put those in the main loop.

Quote:
Q Four:   should i make 2 players on one or two calcs. or both?

Two.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Aug 2003 05:20:32 am; edited 1 time in total
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 11:46:54 am    Post subject:

i know how to align a list to my cursor but...

also if i do make it for 2 calcs. it will have to be turn based, b/c of the constant terran changes that happen...

If it is turn based, should you have a tunr limit, like 5 mins and a button to end early? (money will be given on the start of a turn, not during if turn based)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement