This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
One_Fast_Kid

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:16:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure if its possible, but after I finish my unit converter program I want to make a compression program for lists and strings. I know there is already an assembly version out; this is more of a learning expierence for me (and hopefully others for that matter). I will probably not include a GUI with it unless requested as I intend it to be more for programmer's use.

Does anyone have any expierence with compression? I've look at howthingswork.com many months back and I remember images branching off a tree. It wasn't very helpful in terms of how to compress in a high-level language. Neutral
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:20:24 pm    Post subject:

Try looking up RLE or Run Lenth Encoding.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:29:26 pm    Post subject:

A list compressor might be doable. Strings might be another story because you can't exploit repetitive patters in text quite like you can with other data. But to second Rezek's post, RLE is the best method to start any research on.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:35:59 pm    Post subject:

this is something to read over as well. It's not exactly what you're going to do, but there is compression involved.
Jutt

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 11:05:47 am    Post subject:

On string compressiong:
I had the idea to make a program that could save a string more efficiently making it 1/3rd smaller. The only restriction is that the string contains no more that 36 different characters (Pobably A-Z and some punctuation marks).

The prog changes 3 tokens into 2. There are 36^3 combinations of three tokens. Also there are more than 216 one byte tokens available - that makes over 216^2 combinations. 36^3=216^2, thus 3 tokens can be replaced by 2.
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 06:01:42 pm    Post subject:

A through Z + 0 through 9 + punctuation, math, etc. = more than 36. more like 50
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 06:06:49 pm    Post subject:

Supposing you only used 36. I don't think you're likely to unless you write in all uppercase.
One_Fast_Kid

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 06:14:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, its defentely going to support both upper and lower cases, numberical and mathematical numbers, and probably finance vars for compatibility for some programs that acctually use them.

Thanks for the great links and help, should be starting the project in a few days.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 09:02:36 pm    Post subject:

Note that RLE doesn't work well for strings of text, unless you post like this:
Elseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Subtlety-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (inside joke to 3FG)
It does work well for level maps etc, sometimes. Check out Vertical RLE as well; does great for pics.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement