This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
yugniht

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 12:36:52 pm    Post subject:

If you want to, then go right ahead. We'll see how it turns out and how many people are willing to pay even a quarter to put an ad in. I don't think anyone would even pay a dime to read a calc mag. The demand isn't that high.

And if you pay for it yourself, I'd like to see how much more news you get than ticalc's newsletter. Even those have begun to slack. I don't want to be "mean" but I also don't want this thing to be blown out of proportion and a month later everyone is saying "Well, at least we tried"

As for doing it digitally, one person pays and sends it to everyone and their mother for free.
yugniht

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 12:39:45 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I forgot:

Some kids at my school started an independent school newspaper where they reported on what they wanted to and it started out good. It didn't last a year before the articles were crap and it went into your hands and then directly to the trash. And the only reason it started out good is because it was free. They actually managed to get sponsers. If the students had to pay even a dime, almost no body would have bothered.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 12:49:47 pm    Post subject:

something that should have been asked a week ago: why do we need a P.O. Box?
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 07:55:20 am    Post subject:

Exactly, ADs would pay for the magazine, but what kind of company would be crazy enough to put their ad in a maganize that a few hundred people are going to read and they all have an age span of 13-19 Sad
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 01:08:27 pm    Post subject:

Tyler, have you been reading ANY of these posts? The ads aren't going to pay for the magazine. That's not what they're for. Please go back and read every post here and then think before going back to saying that BS, ok?
yugniht

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 05:08:20 pm    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
Tyler, have you been reading ANY of these posts? The ads aren't going to pay for the magazine. That's not what they're for. Please go back and read every post here and then think before going back to saying that BS, ok?

whoa...go easy on him. It's just a post.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 07:01:49 pm    Post subject:

actually that's the second time he's posted that.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2003 11:52:58 am    Post subject:

OK - make the magazine online with a very very small subscription fee and various items directed toward both programmers and teachers. If you can make it professional enough and offer free samples of classroom activities and such, teachers may buy in and help spread the scope and presense of UTI.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Choosy ninja's choose .GIF.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 07:31:01 pm    Post subject:

Random Revival of the Week(tm)
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 09:01:26 pm    Post subject:

Anyone thought more about the UTI Monthly Idea? Maybe a new admin (or just UTI Member) could be dubbed editor. :lol:

I personally would think Arcane would rock doing that, but that's just me Laughing
Bluefire

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 10:14:16 pm    Post subject:

i have an idea, we could release a book about the history of programming calcs, explaining when all the great routines were created, when ticalc came out, and have an entire history and realease it as a book, then we complete our book, pitch the idea to a company, and when the idea sells, everyone who helped could get a percentage of the money, depending on how much they submitted, i have helped someone publish a book before (ever heard of Apogee?) and i can help witht the process, post if you wish to work on the book with me =)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 02:28:32 am    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
I personally would think Arcane would rock doing that, but that's just me Laughing

I'd love to do at least Graphics/Design, thanks.
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 07:12:04 am    Post subject:

Has anyone thought about making a weekly or monthly newsletter?
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 01:39:54 pm    Post subject:

How about instead of actually publishing it, we do it electronically? Neutral
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 30 Apr 2004 03:20:19 pm    Post subject:

According to the poll, we have 11 people who want it an three who don't, so I think we should go ahead and do it. I found a job where I can get $12/hour starting so I can get us enough seed money. How about we send trial issues to all currently active UTI members with pleas for subscription?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Apr 2004 05:57:39 pm    Post subject:

seed money? for an email newsletter?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 May 2004 04:11:44 pm    Post subject:

It would have to be an online subscription. Maybe we could put ads in it and make it free.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 May 2004 04:17:27 pm    Post subject:

Um, last time I checked sending e-mails was quite free of charge.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 May 2004 05:26:43 pm    Post subject:

Yes, and you can even do it from a simple PHP script Laughing.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 05 May 2004 02:39:38 pm    Post subject:

Well, I was kinda hoping we could do it in print format. As I came up with the idea, I feel I should maybe do it. I ran the idea through here first to see what kind of input I could get regarding it. There are lots of great ideas, and I will be using most of them and giving credit where it's due. If you want to help, then speak up now.

Last edited by Guest on 05 May 2004 03:06:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement