This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 02:35:41 pm    Post subject:

Before you begin learning visual c++ what other languages is it recommended you know?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 03:37:48 pm    Post subject:

You're having problems with learning C++ first?

I learned C before C++, but I don't think you need to do that, since as long as you proceed gradually you'll probably learn the C part of the language first anyway.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 05:38:03 pm    Post subject:

If I were you, I'd mess around with Visual Basic first so you can get used to Visual Studio.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 05:55:35 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Before you begin learning visual c++ what other languages is it recommended you know?
[post="54900"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you mean "Visual C++" the IDE, I'd suggest reading the help file and orientation lessons, if any. If you mean "C++" the programming language, then I'd suggest learning C++ sans WinAPI (i.e. [font="courier"]cout
, not [font="courier"]MessageBox()).

Brazucs wrote:
If I were you, I'd mess around with Visual Basic first so you can get used to Visual Studio.
[post="54904"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Essentially what you're saying is, is that the best way for the OP to get acquainted with Visual Studio, is to use Visual Studio with the added waste of effort on learning a totally different language?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 11:26:30 pm    Post subject:

As someone said, Visual C++ isnt a language, just an IDE. And why does every single topic in this forum end up with "go learn VB!"? It's such a crappy language. If you can't take the time to learn C/C++, or you can't comprehend it, go mess with some gamemaker, VB wont get you far.
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 01:16:45 pm    Post subject:

It realy doesn't matter whether you learn C or C++ first. There both practically the same thing. C++ just has a few extra features. It is important to learn both of them though. C generaly produces faster and smaller code so its good for smaller-medium sized projects, but OOP techniques are a little more complicated. If you need true OOP and are working on a large game like metroid, C++ is the way to go. At that point, the performance difference is minute. I think its also nice to have a joint C/C++ compiler like Dev-C++. You might have some compatibility issues with Visual C++, because MS designed a dumb language called C#,a ripoff of C, but slower and bloated. Don't even try to make a game with it.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 02:22:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
...learning a totally different language?
He probably already knows TI-BASIC. IMO, it's just a small step to get acquainted with VB.
Quote:
If you can't take the time to learn C/C++, or you can't comprehend it, go mess with some gamemaker, VB wont get you far.
I agree, but he specifically asked for another language as a stepping stone to C++.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 03:25:29 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I already know TI-basic. I also know a little in C++, but not a whole lot.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement