This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 08:50:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for reading this! My problem is that I have a moniter resolution that is very high, so often I work really hard on a website, only to discover (mostly when viewing from school computeres) that it looks horrible at 800x600! Recently I worked on a template for a certain, err, well basically I would like everyone that has the time (just a few seconds) to view the page: http://rezek.o-wh.com/blah.htm . Please note that it's not supposed to be aesthetically pleasing (in terms of table borders and images, ect), but the size of everything should look nice on lower resolutions. So just view the page and fast-reply back with your feed-back, thanks!

If anyone of you knows a better way to get around this problem, do share. Again, thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, and the 'content', you may find... well I'll just tell you it's not worth reading it.
Razz
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 09:02:17 pm    Post subject:

Set your resolution for 800x600 (or something similar) and design your site then. It makes for wonderful fun. Laughing (I practically had to do that a couple of times in my web design class to make sure the page looked nice...)

Is there any chance you could post one of your pages that look terrible at lower resolutions?
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 09:08:37 pm    Post subject:

I would set my resolution to 800x600, but it looks horrible, everything is blurry. What I can do is burn the files to a CD-RW, put on other comp (with no internet access), wait for it to load, decide whether or not to change it, go back, change, and repeat. This process is, however, unbearably slow.

Hmm... I don't think I have any off hand, but I'd be happy to make a couple for you Razz.

EDIT: Aha! I remember one, it was the index of an old top-secret site :ninja:. There was a banner that looked complex and the site had a bunch of stuff on it, until I had the (mis)fortune of seeing it on a 800x600 comp. The banner went over the edge of the page, so you had to scroll to see the entire thing, and the news items were horribly aligned. The site looked like it was done by a two-year old!

Also, another plan I have is that once my parents get a comp with web access, I'll develop on this laptop in the same room and just push f5 (refresh) on there's, or do my design on it in the first place Rolling Eyes.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Aug 2005 09:11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 10:05:13 pm    Post subject:

Yep, looks fine on 800x600. (This computer suX0rs big time, any higher and I have to scroll the actual screen. Sad)
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 10:41:09 pm    Post subject:

what about setting a web browser to 800 x 600 or so and viewing the page in a window.

You should probably use all percentages and no fixed point sizes due to resolutions.

I sometimes see really crapping looking websites.

I have 1920 x 1200.

BTW, I am sorry your school uses 800 x 600 that does suck.

I work for an entire school district with about 12000 computers 97% plus are running at 1024 x 768. A very small percentage still runs 800 x 600 (bad setting that is all), and some of the newer LCDs are 1280 x 1024

We have no 640 x 480 anywhere. We got rid of our last two NT 4.0 servers a few months ago and with them went our last 640 x 480 computers.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 11:16:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You should probably use all percentages and no fixed point sizes due to resolutions.

Yes, that pretty much is the answer. An important aspect of building a website is to keep the design fluid, meaning that it should be accessible without any definite shape. A good experiment, as Jbirk proposed, is to view the site in windowed form (not maximized) and then to adjust the dimensions to see how it appears, rather than expressing it as a different resolution. You'll get the feel of various height-to-width ratios that way.

I don't want to sound like an advocate for the W3C because some of them are just absurdly stubborn, but I strongly advise you to look into CSS, and maybe even some XHTML to back it up. It's really not a difficult transition. That is, unless you're used to WYSIWYG editors like Microsoft FrontPage or Dreamweaver. These never actually teach HTML basics, but the alternatives—they really do open your eyes to a brilliant new level of web design, enabling you to match the productivity of your script to the abilities you possess as a designer.

So, give it a week or two (for me it was only a couple of days), and you'll know what I mean.

[EDIT]

Good filler content. :D

I usually toss in some random information taken from the W3C website, as seen here and here.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Aug 2005 11:28:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 07:01:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks again! This had been my first forray (spelled right ?) into using width percentages, and I wanted to see how it would work. Also, are you suggesting that resizing the browser window to 800x600 would give the effect of an 800x600 full-screen resolution, minus the blur? I'll give it a try.

@Supergoose: Indeed, the application I am building is going to be XHTML, with an aim for Strict. I'm learning CSS right now, but I'm not very good at it. Currently I learn by reading www.w3schools.com and looking at others code.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 07:16:07 am    Post subject:

Percentages aren't a great solution in my honest opinion.

The only percentage I ever use is 100%, other than that I use fixed point sizes, and yes, I design my pages for all resolutions, and they look fine in all.

But that's with CSS.. instead of setting the div/table's size, you set the margin's size, sometimes combined with position relative.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement