This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 08:46:58 pm    Post subject:

currently, I am working on a side scrolling game engine...tile by tile scrolling, scrolls with character (when you character is in the midle of the screen, it srolls the screen so you can see in front of you), and is being carefuly documented and planned so the chance this thing gets finished is high.

Also, I am in the planning stages of a RPG engine...I plan to have 16X16 tiles for it and for it to be real time combat (similar to MMBatleNet in design, face L/R but can move up and down.) I hope to have no need for a overworld engine...but I can't say I won't go that route if I can't keep the size down.

Finaly, I am experimenting with a simple puzzle game concept. It realy shouldn't be hard to make...check back for more details soon.

PS: As far as progress, I will continously update this post to anounce it and anounce any delays/cancleations.

-------------------

more about the side scroller:
The program consists of a title screen, then a menu (new, continue, options), then it either writes a new set of stats for you if you select new game, or will simply recover the old stats (continue) from a list (I plan to create some kind of encryption for it). The program then opens the map subroutine wich stores it into a matrice, loads the enemy locations and data (not yet implimented) and loads any power ups and checks for permenantly destroyable objects to generate (not yet implemented).

It returns to the main program and begins the game play loop. This contains only the code to draw the current map, open player routine, enemy routine (empty), and enviroment routine (empty), then update the display before doing it all again. I hope by breaking the program up like this, I can increase the reuseability and ease in debugging of the code. Also, I plan to document all of the routines on my computer to keep things moving. While it has taken a lot longer to get much done, it seems worth it.

I plan to have the enemy loop generate enemy data if a certain number of enemies have not already been made and put on screen, and when they go so far off screen to "kill them" so that I can create more enemies. I also plan to have the game limit spawn points for most enemies...so as to keep the game from having endless streams of monsters. I am basing the actual enemy execution code on that from my Cat Trap game...a looping set of lists to execute, fewwer or more deppending on how fast I can get the code (as a whole) to run. I may try and convert this all into assembly to make it more playable. Currently though, I have not created any monster AIs.

The enviroment code will be for things like rising lava, falling fire balls, water ipedeing your movements, and enviromental animations like rain. It may be srapped.

Well, there is some info on that...nothing much to report on the others as of yet other than I am working on them a bit. the last coment was meant for max coderz...forgot to edit it

Last edited by Guest on 09 Aug 2005 01:43:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 09:25:57 pm    Post subject:

Sounds cool...cant wait to see progress.
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 10:36:56 pm    Post subject:

more response here than at maxcoderz...*crickets*...nobody cares *sighs*... *more crickets*
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 10:58:06 pm    Post subject:

lol.. it's 11:40 I can actually hear crickets outside. Chill man, it's only been 2 hours.

But the side scrolling game looks like it's gonna be good. Any ideas for the story?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 01:52:15 am    Post subject:

Uh...I wasn't home until now to see this? But hey it looks very promising.

--AlienCC
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 08:27:42 am    Post subject:

hmm sound nice, sorry for not replying, I didnt visited UTI late in the evening, sound nice, will this be a bit like this?

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/367/36789.html
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 01:42:18 pm    Post subject:

the side croller will probably be metroid or castle vania...I am going to see how hard it will be to make each and take the easier
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 03:10:27 pm    Post subject:

Maybe castlevania would be cool, I never saw any of these on calc
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 08:51:36 pm    Post subject:

Kevin wrote:
Maybe castlevania would be cool, I never saw any of these on calc
[post="54217"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

probably be easier...simpler monsters and bosses in that series
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 12:04:46 pm    Post subject:

yeah making a 56x48 boss move on the screen (Kraid) wasnt a big deal Very Happy
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 10:05:53 pm    Post subject:

on the RPG, I plan to have a lot of central characters...and a very developd and complex plot filled with political struggles, betrayle, and conspiracy set in a medevil world...a strugle between science and religion...

Also, I ironed out all of the bugs in the scrolling code. I plan to do a lot of coding on this tomorow...maybe finish up the character code entirely...perhaps get to start working on the enemy manager
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Aug 2005 06:37:11 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I have added all of the element checks (walls, stairs [which are non solid like how all the CV games are], candles, collapsing blocks, and jump through floors [you can jump through them but not fall back the opposite way]) and as far as stairs, I have decided to go the cheap route with them...it pauses the game action and you character either goes the entire length down or up the stairs without any options to jump off them or change directions)
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 07:15:13 am    Post subject:

wow nice, any chances of seeing screenshots soon? :)

@admins: shouldnt this be placed into Announce your projects section? 9_9
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 07:25:56 am    Post subject:

It is now, sometimes a topic just slips past the admins, super mods, and mods. Surprised

Last edited by Guest on 13 Aug 2005 07:26:40 am; edited 1 time in total
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 09:42:31 am    Post subject:

@arcane: Thanks for moving it
@kevin: once the main engine code is finished, I will begin making sprites and taking screen shots, besides, it would just be a little samus sprite (I need to replace it) jumping around a screen right now and it woukd not reflect the speed of the games at finality
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 09:58:17 am    Post subject:

Still, I find that people get more interested in a project if you show them anything, be it a title screen or a character moving. So long as it's actually in the game. For example, I could have cared less about Grand Theft Avacodo, until I saw a screenshot, then I was excited.

:)
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 01:54:21 am    Post subject:

this is the title screen I made by extsensively modifying a picture I found (I know, cheap, but it was still alot of work and took a good bit of skill) but the text and title were made by hand of course.
I have finished coding every thing but atacking and item detections in the character department...which I will code latter...I am currently working on the enemy code.
0oruneo0

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 02:40:08 pm    Post subject:

Using any ASM libs? (XLib, Omnicalc, Codex, etc.)
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 11:28:14 pm    Post subject:

0oruneo0 wrote:
Using any ASM libs? (XLib, Omnicalc, Codex, etc.)
[post="54395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The xlib app

PS: how do you guys like the title and the title screen?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Aug 2005 11:40:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Aug 2005 08:10:19 am    Post subject:

The picture of the two dancing looks sweet. Did you come up with the title 'Silent Waltz' yourself? If so, two thumbs up. It's got that... I don't know, intrigue to it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement