This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Aug 2005 05:41:22 pm    Post subject:

Hello, all.

I have recently been trying to write a Layered Service Provider, but every time I compile/install it, it blocks all new connections. That includes connections to the DNS server as well as connections to a direct IP. Current connections such as IRC still work just fine (with send/receive). It's highly confusing to me. I'm compiling the original sample from the SDK (no modifications) and still getting this strange behavior... Maybe I've done something horribly wrong somewhere... I just don't know...

I was having the same strange behavior when I tried doing it as an NDIS IM Driver, but an LSP suits my purposes better (being User-Mode and all...).

Cheers?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2005 06:47:48 pm    Post subject:

Maybe a firewall conflict?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Aug 2005 07:59:36 pm    Post subject:

Why are you writing an LSP?

LSPs suck! I don't trust them! You have no business writing a program that all IP packets must go thoguh in my opinion... unless you are writing something like a firewall..

-Jbirk
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Aug 2005 05:25:31 pm    Post subject:

He is writing an LSP, because he is paid to do so, plenty valid reason for me. If you're developing software that other people are going to purchase to do just that, who cares?

This should only be a problem if you force the software on someone without their knowledge. So, who's going to monitor the monitors?

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 12:08:43 am    Post subject:

Sounds like a really a good reason to me. Go for it!

Besides, there is always LSP fix for removing LSPs.

Just currious what is the LSP supposed to do? Sorry if I went off on you, but it has always seemed to me as if > 90% of LSPs are evil! The only good ones I know of are for Novell networking and firewall programs.

-Jbirk
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 05:29:07 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Yes, AlienCC is correct, I am getting paid for this project. (if I can ever figure out the bloody thing) :P

Information:
I have no firewall, filter, anitvirus, etc. installed on this machine. All I've got on here is the basic Win2kPro protection, and I use Firefox for my webbrowsing.
I have serched Google almost endlessly it seems, but to no avail.

Please visit Radar Factor's home page where I have posted some information about the project. It must be able to at the very least delay packets until the user logs into the program. It also must be able to let it's own packets through, obviously. :lol:

The short answer is yes, it is kind of like a firewall.
The long answer is that no, it's not a firewall, but is probably closer to solicited spyware. (solicited may be the wrong word, but so might spyware. Laughing )
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 07:29:41 pm    Post subject:

Forced network monitoring?

Anyway, I'd develop with all firewalls off, especially XP's, it's not like it's any good anyway. Just try it with that off, that's all I can tell you.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 07:43:21 pm    Post subject:

I could figure out how to do most of it, except for stopping packets all together. You would need to get into some REALLY low level programming for that. All the rest of it though, I can help you with if you run into problems.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 08:11:36 pm    Post subject:

ArcWiz: Look up. I'm running Windoze 2000 Pro.
JoeImp: Thanks for the offer. Smile The only problem I've run into is what I've already posted! It's driving me insane!

An LSP is not low-level, it is user-mode, just like those little apps you make to do silly little things.

The really strange thing is that I had the exact same problem with the NDIS IM Driver.

It's starting to tick me off a bit... I'd really like to get this done, but cannot continue without this crutial peice. Sad
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 10:03:46 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
ArcWiz: Look up.  I'm running Windoze 2000 Pro.
JoeImp: Thanks for the offer. Smile  The only problem I've run into is what I've already posted!  It's driving me insane!

An LSP is not low-level, it is user-mode, just like those little apps you make to do silly little things.

The really strange thing is that I had the exact same problem with the NDIS IM Driver.

It's starting to tick me off a bit...  I'd really like to get this done, but cannot continue without this crutial peice.  Sad
[post="54219"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LSP is pretty low in the scheme of things. I mean heck it is a part of Winsock 2. If you have a broken link in the LSP chain, TCP/IP won't work.

It also works when users are logged out of windows.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2005 05:06:49 am    Post subject:

I'm not really sure I got this right, never heard about LSP before, but from the discription of it, and the comparison to firewalls, I thought this might help.

I think PeerGuardian is a LSP and it is opensource, perhaps you could take a look at the source code for that.
http://methlabs.org/projects/peerguardian-2-windows/

hope this is of any help
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Dec 2006 05:03:13 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys, sorry for the way long delay, but I've reread this topic, and realized that I was just too stupid before to do this.

I started completely over (my boss had me take a break to do some other projects), and now it's working fine! Don't really know what I did differently this time...

I actually had it hooking into Java, and it worked, but it was WAY too slow invoking the JVM every time a packet went through, so I'm in the process of converting it all to C++ again. Thanks for your support/help guys!

(And many many thanks to Jbirk for introducing me to LSPFix... it's pretty much my most favourite program ever now Smile)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement