This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 03:44:09 pm    Post subject:

but mods can't be in the members thing. there are non-member mods, right? Anyway, we could just have a hidden forum with checkboxes:
make visible to:
UTI Members
Global mods
Local Mods
any other future categories.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 03:49:47 pm    Post subject:

62 52 53 53 wrote:
but mods can't be in the members thing. there are non-member mods, right?

Oh, yeah, I'm afraid that's quite true.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 04:13:44 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
There is one for UTI Members, which is pretty much the same as non-ordinary-members.

David wrote:
Not yet Smile

Does this mean there'll be some changes in the moderation team soon, or just that we don't have any global mods yet?

I thought Admin=global mod?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 04:15:53 pm    Post subject:

No, admins can do things that mods can't.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 07:50:05 pm    Post subject:

Having the power to do something doesn't grant one a right or reason to use that power. That said I think the other admins do well with their power, and I well...oops (the forum is running at an all time slow "[ Script Execution time: 3.0590 ]" and "[ Script Execution time: 0.1354 ]", well I guess once I get done with my current processes it will speed back up to the normal 0.03 runtime.

Sure it sucks, but the mirroring needs to be restored (been about a week without it now), and I must change filesystem types on the mirror drive for data integrity...but I'm being "nice" and setting the priority of these tasks to the lowest setting possible so that websites still work reasonably well.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 08:09:38 pm    Post subject:

We think we have it figured out for the most part.

Eventually, we may have one or two global mods, but there would have to be a decent selection process. Essentially, we have to find a trustworthy person.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 03:27:58 pm    Post subject:

No, a trusted person who is on frequently enough. I certainly fit the on frequently enough, but it wouldn't really be fair for me to say you trust me. (well, you sort of do...enough for me to be a UTI member, but I'm not sure of much beyond that.) someone could be perfectly trustworthy but not trusted, or completely untrustworthy, but still trusted. And it's no good to have an extremely trustworthy person who visits the forums once a month.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2003 04:38:28 am    Post subject:

Just make it a fair and decent method of selection.

Have some points on which to evaluate members.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Oct 2003 12:50:15 pm    Post subject:

i know i fit the "frequent enough"
i cannot judge my "trustworthyness", as that is based on other people opinins...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2003 03:51:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't think there's any use in posting on what area's you'd apply for becoming a global mod, those points won't change by posting that and thus your chances of becoming one won't increase but will make you look like one of those little doggies that is jumping up to get the ball from it's master but can't quite get it. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2003 03:52:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Nov 2003 01:19:23 am    Post subject:

*bark* *bark*
*pant**pant**pant**pant*

*woof?*

Wacko Neutral Laughing
NextPerception

Posted: 01 Nov 2003 10:54:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Nov 2003 08:10:12 pm    Post subject:

no problem! Razz
so, on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate my dog-impersonation program? Neutral
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2003 03:05:53 am    Post subject:

I'd give it a six, but this is going way of topic and stuff. (does anybody even care?)
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2003 07:22:18 pm    Post subject:

How about making a hidden forum for the 'ordinary members' only?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 12:41:44 pm    Post subject:

Why would one do that?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 02:33:17 pm    Post subject:

hidden forums are based top-down
if there is a members hidden forum then UTI members and admins would be able to see it also.
if there is a UTI members only forum then only UTI members and admins can view it. you get the picture.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 07:17:07 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
hidden forums are based top-down
if there is a members hidden forum then UTI members and admins would be able to see it also.
if there is a UTI members only forum then only UTI members and admins can view it. you get the picture.

Actually, this is not true at all.

Each group uses a different forum mask and is mutually exclusive.

In other words, we could easily make a form that Members could see but not UTI Members or Staff Members. I guess the Staff members would be able to make changes though and see that they exist throught the Admin CP.

Each Forum has 4 permissions, Read, Post, New Topics, and Upload.

There is an entry for each group.

For Admins, they can read, post, make new topics, and upload for each forum.

To hide a forum, we simply remove the read permission from a group we do not wish to read it. Without the read permission, the forum is automatically invisible because the coding does not print any HTML to show it.

If all forums are invisible to a particular group, that group will not see the existence of the category either.

We currently have the logo forums hidden to all but admins, we have a logo contest poll with 2 forums, which are invisible to everyone but staff. We have the UTI Hidden category with a Forum for UTI Members, and in that category we also have a forum for admins and global mods, which the UTI members cannot see.

We have a total of 6 hidden forums, but they are all hidden for a reason. 4 for the logo contest, 2 you have seen, another 2 you will see. One for UTI Members (not often used) . We also have a private Admin/global mod forum which has not had a post sience NOV 1

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2003 07:21:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 02:15:54 pm    Post subject:

yeah, now that i looked at my admin CP, i see that now. Smile
62 52 53 53

Posted: 12 Dec 2003 09:44:47 pm    Post subject:

How about one place to send requests(ex; name changes, e-mail@uti... ) that any of the admins could do, so that it's likely to take less time to get it taken care of?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement