This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
dabombjr2000

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 06:37:21 pm    Post subject:

Here's the deal, I'm gonna make a new b&w pokemon for the 83+ that requires only pokemon, and I need help planning...
The screen will be made of 8x8 sprites, making a 7d by 11across screen
I've got some more stats to figure out, but I'll do that tommorrow.

Here's what I need:

• A map
  • A bunch of sprites (probably converted from pokemon red or blue)
    They must be converted because the gameboy has a much larger psi and all sprites must be 8x8 or maybe 16x16
  • A whole new story
  • deciding which 20-30 pokemon to use
and everyone that effectively helps me in the project will get credit in the game.
I'll discuss the story and map stuff tommorrow, but I do need a lot of sprites.

Thanks everyone!
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 10:14:17 pm    Post subject:

well, the only probem with creating a new storyline is that they have been using the same story, each episode, for 11 seasons, the gameboy games have the same thing, id say just go with that.

use pokemon 1-20 and pikachu
dabombjr2000

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 10:41:37 pm    Post subject:

Not an entirely new story like that, I'm talking about how like all the pokemon games have a new character and a new land, that sort of thing...
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 02:42:50 am    Post subject:

dabombjr, do you know how the Pokemon battle system works? If you want any help on this like the formulas, or something, shoot me a PM. I pretty much know how the Pokemon battling system works. I also have some ideas for 'balanced' characters.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 05:39:25 am    Post subject:

You might want to keep the number of element types of the pokemon low. The original game had 15 of 'em, but that might be a bit too much for the calc. Maybe only water, grass, fire and normal?
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 09:33:31 am    Post subject:

maybe you could be part of team rocket as far as a new story goes...as far as sprites go, give a few examples of what kinda sprites you want (like go to google and find images or something)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 09:42:55 am    Post subject:

Or maybe you're the owner of one of those already established training house things and you have to defend against little spoiled brats who want to become a super duper pokemon master.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2005 09:43:25 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 12:43:37 pm    Post subject:

Personally, the twist in the Pokemon game were the abilities, types, and the movepools of each individual Pokemon. This is what makes it kinda hard to come up with the 'perfect' Pokemon team.

IMO, it is a good idea to go up to 50 at least. Although it would take a lot of mem... :(

(SALAMENCE PWNS!!!)
dabombjr2000

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 03:34:30 am    Post subject:

1st) Leofox, good point, I'll probably use 5-7, though, to still give some challenge

2nd) Necro, Being a team rocket guy would be interesting, but I'd personally have him start as a team rocket guy, and fight against them for some reason. Everyone let me know what you think...

3rd) Necro, I believe I'm gonna need a lot of 8x8 bg sprites, like buildings, rocks, inside buildings, and such, and 16x16 pokemon sprites(for the battling sequence) of the first 18 pokemon (made up my mind, which is the first 6 pokemon & evolutions)

4th) Arcane, That could be interesting, but it sounds more like just continuous battling to me, give me some feedback...

5th) Shadowing, When I see how big this version is and how fast(or slow) it is, I'll probably make another version with a lot more pokemon and stuff...

6th) Back on sprites, I'll make a pic of the sprites I'm planning to use so far, and give you an idea of what I'm thinking...

Finally, I'll talk to you later, and please give me your feedback on what I've said, because what I think isn't always right...
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 04:32:47 am    Post subject:

dabombjr2000 wrote:
1st) Leofox, good point, I'll probably use 5-7, though, to still give some challenge[post="53354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you are going to use 7, may7be you can best use the ones in the pokémon TCG:
Star (normal, flying, dragon), Leaf (Grass, Poison, Bug), Waterdrop (water, ice), Lightning (electric), Eye (psychic, ghost), Flame (Fire) and Fist (fighting, ground, rock)
jvdthwip

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 08:08:19 am    Post subject:

This is a little off-topic, but...
[quote name='"alexrudd"']How big is the memory of the original gameboy cartridges? Maybe with an 84+SE and some hardware modifications, you could run the actual pokemon on the calculator. They have the same processor, don't they?[/quote]

The Pokémon ROM is exactly 1MB, which is actually quite large for a Gameboy game... Kirby's Dream Land, for instance, is only 256 KB...
Cart sizes are so round (1MB, 512 KB, 256 KB) because, even though the game may have been less, the program must fill the entire cartridge... And those are the sizes Nintendo offered...
Any gameboy game would be a little diffcult to emulate on an 83+ or even an 84+ SE, because it would run very very slow, you'd have to smash the screen and make it black and white, and finally, in the case of Pokémon, the cart data would take nearly all of the space on the calc.
Think about Save data... 10 boxes that can each hold 20 pkmn, plus the 6 in your party, thats 200 nicknames, stats, levels, moves, types... not to mention your items and actual progress... It would all add up to nearly 30 KB...

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2005 08:10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 01:58:27 pm    Post subject:

how much memory at best could it take for each poke??
species identifier- 3 bytes
a 0-99 level- 2 bytes
HP 0-999- 3 bytesstr
Level 0-99 2 bytes
Exp 0-99999 5 bytes
-Move1 indentifier 2 bytes
Mp (no move had more than 45) 2 bytes
-Move2- 2 bytes
Mp -2 bytes
-Move3- 2 bytes
Mp -2 bytes
-Move4- 2 bytes
Mp -2 bytes
Str (0-999)- 3
Cons- 3
Speed- 3
Special Atck- 3
Special Def- 3
------------------
43 bytes *206 pokemon...~8858 if in a single string
if you add a 5 letter name then it jumps to 9888bytes...if you added vitamin counters to prevent overuse of carbos, iron, calcium, ect... at 1 byte each...
w/names 10918... w/o namesis 9888
these are all aproximations though as various headers for the data types would add more onto those numbers

items would take less, and the boxes would probably be best in the archive
shadowing