This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
United-TI Archives -> UTI Members Chat

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 May 2005 05:27:40 pm    Post subject:

Edit: The updated instructions can be found further in this thread here.

Apparently my instructions were not clear for sftp, so here we go with a visual helper!

In Filezilla go into the sitemanager, create a New Site, and configure your subdomain settings like this, using the username and address I sent to you.

If you use these settings you will have no problems connecting to your account.

Remember if you want something available from your http subdomain address, it must be somewhere in the public_html folder.

Please post further questions on sftp connectivity in this thread.

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 30 Dec 2006 09:58:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 May 2005 11:27:35 am    Post subject:

After we upload something to public_html, how do we access it later? Is it http://www.unitedti.org/var/www/users/uti_...c_html/file.doc ?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 May 2005 11:36:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
After we upload something to public_html, how do we access it later?
It's http://brazucs.unitedti.org/file.doc, I think.
That's where you should put your index page, so typing in brazucs.unitedti.org should access your site. Smile
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 May 2005 11:44:44 am    Post subject:

oh yeah... that makes sense! lol, thanks!

Edit: Cool, finally got stuff up! I love UTI!!! :biggrin:
My sig now links to my page...

Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2005 12:50:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 May 2005 05:47:51 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
oh yeah... that makes sense! lol, thanks!

Edit: Cool, finally got stuff up! I love UTI!!!  :biggrin:
My sig now links to my page...
[post="50650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If I don't have Flash Player, what should I click to see the site?

*BZZZZT!!* You have failed Web Design 101!

http://www.randomterrain.com/webdesign/entrance.html
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/when-good-...h-goes-bad.html

Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2005 05:51:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 May 2005 11:06:48 pm    Post subject:

Web design is something that harkens only to the spirits of those who take it seriously. I'm one of those people who take it more seriously than others normally would. This is understandable, as there is a sense of pride in being able to do things the "right way," and for perfectionists like myself, that sort of thing is unavoidable (have you noticed the mounds of edits made in almost every one of my posts?). :D

However, it's easy to press these traits on those who don't want to adapt suddenly, and on those who don't even particularly care to create a broader target market for themselves. Effectively, this causes some unwanted friction from both sides. The bottom line is, if you want to get more serious in the trade, then follow the links, look at some source, consult others for help, do whatever it takes. If it doesn't matter to you really, then it's no biggie. As long as you aren't making websites for others based off of what you would like to see, then there are no changes in screaming need to be made. ;)

All in all, let's leave it to a different topic now, please. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2005 12:04:26 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 21 May 2005 12:28:48 am    Post subject:

How many of my posts have you seen with Edits in them? You could probably count them on less then all the fingers on your hands, benefits to using the that preview button usually at least 5 times for most posts that I type in before clicking submit. Perfection at its finest is hiding the mistakes completely.

Now onto the web content, you can require everyone to view your page in flash if you really want to. However by doing so you have already discounted myself and many others from your group of visitors. Why? Same reason I haven't used Internet Explorer for several years, its a security threat to my personal machine, it allows execution of code I might not want running, and yes I've seen malicious use of flash before. The real point in a webpage is actual content, not "gee-whiz" factor. If you can find a good balance between the two, chances are you've made a successful website.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 May 2005 02:48:34 am    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
After we upload something to public_html, how do we access it later? Is it http://www.unitedti.org/var/www/users/uti_...c_html/file.doc ?
[post="50648"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, you use your subdomain

e.g.

http://test.unitedti.org/file.doc
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 May 2005 05:44:52 am    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
How many of my posts have you seen with Edits in them? You could probably count them on less then all the fingers on your hands, benefits to using the that preview button usually at least 5 times for most posts that I type in before clicking submit. Perfection at its finest is hiding the mistakes completely.[post="50676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
You're an admin, you can turn the edited message off..

Brazucs: i can't see your flash movies.. If i click 'view source' and manually go to the movie, i can see it just fine. Maybe angelfire doesn't support remote linking of flash movies?

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2005 05:49:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 May 2005 08:27:27 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
AlienCC wrote:
How many of my posts have you seen with Edits in them? You could probably count them on less then all the fingers on your hands, benefits to using the that preview button usually at least 5 times for most posts that I type in before clicking submit. Perfection at its finest is hiding the mistakes completely.[post="50676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
You're an admin, you can turn the edited message off..
[post="50684"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I think it's turned off by default even, it is for me anyway.

Quote:
I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to see the site even if you could click past the intro.

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2005 08:28:45 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 May 2005 11:29:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to see the site even if you could click past the intro.
[post="50686"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The 'skip intro' button is in the actual flash movie, and the main site is flash too. That doesn't really matter though, cause even if you have flash it doesn't work..
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 22 May 2005 08:30:11 pm    Post subject:

Yup, I most defintely have flash, and it doesn't load. Might want to fix that Laughing
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 May 2005 01:51:51 pm    Post subject:

Argh, it's Angelfire. It's down as always!
Quote:
Brazucs: i can't see your flash movies.. If i click 'view source' and manually go to the movie, i can see it just fine. Maybe angelfire doesn't support remote linking of flash movies?
Yeah, it seems they don't any more. They used to, though :(

Fixed...

By the way, I'm sorry to everybody (esp. sigma) for getting mad. I've taken your advice into account and might begin to work on a html page that's enhanced by flash (maybe a sidebar or two). Thanks! :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 23 May 2005 02:36:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Solitaire710

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 May 2005 11:50:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Web design is something that harkens only to the spirits of those who take it seriously.

Now you know why I haven't uploaded anything to my subdomain just yet :biggrin:

@AlienCC-
I only forgot to put the port number to '22' Rolling Eyes
*rolls eyes at self.......which is rather hard to do.......finds mirror......commences rolling eyes at self*

Oh and 'Hi there' guys.......This is my second post here as a member Smile
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 May 2005 11:55:06 pm    Post subject:

Well I was getting asked this question enough that I thought it would be helpful to create a topic with a screenshot to further point everyone in the right direction. Seems to be working, I think. It was never my intention to offend anyone with this topic.

--AlienCC
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Jun 2005 08:18:08 pm    Post subject:

@Brazucs:
Look into the <noembed> tag. And the <noscript> tag if you're using javascript. Help in making your site more universally available.

@AlienCC:
Thanks for explaining the sftp connection a little better. Smile
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 08:00:13 pm    Post subject:

When uploading through the browser there is an option to extract zip files, are these the windows type .zip files or are they the *nix type .z files?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 10:31:29 pm    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
When uploading through the browser there is an option to extract zip files, are these the windows type .zip files or are they the *nix type .z files?
[post="52453"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It supports both zip and tar files.

--AlienCC
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 10:25:04 am    Post subject:

hah, it's weird trying it out with java. it freezes up a lot for me. guess i'm going with my ftp client. oh well, question, will coreftp work too?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 05:44:05 pm    Post subject:

If it supports sftp using ssh2, then it should, however I'm not familiar with that client.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement