This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 07:50:09 am    Post subject:

Very Happy If you want to know what its about please post!This is my first major game and I am producing my own company of programmers called Psiwolf Productions.If I can get help or new members for my company please message me or email me at AAashrea@Aol.com
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 07:55:39 am    Post subject:

Moved to Project Ideas/Start New Projects.

I like the idea of an RPG with people changing into demons, I hope it'll be dark and gritty and such, I like that too.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 07:56:13 am    Post subject:

Neutral I guess I'll have to wait a while.Still message me as soon as you can if you have interest!First I need to know how to upload it.Can i use TIConnect?

Last edited by Guest on 13 Apr 2005 12:33:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 01:25:45 pm    Post subject:

Discussion Forum Rules and Policies #3 wrote:
You must not double post or multipost without considerable time between your posts. Unless you have a very good reason too.

Lunar Wolf Demon, check out the Edit button at the top of each of your posts, and then move everything into a single post please. This is a message board and not a chat room, so avoid making posts on whim; you have all the time you need to say what's on your mind in a clear and concise manner. I have a feeling that the rest of this place'll have to run around bonkers to keep up with you! :lol:

Quote:
Can i use TIConnect?

You may use that, or TI-Graph Link, to obtain the file in a PC-readable format for transfer between peers.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Apr 2005 01:39:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 02:40:34 pm    Post subject:

Thank You,Supergoose,I'll try to be more precise with my work.Still I need help with graphics,like pxl-on( and line( and a whole lot of things so if anyone out there can help me please direct them here! Very Happy
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 03:42:32 pm    Post subject:

just ask questions and we'll try to answer them Smile.

oh, and please don't double-post. there's a handy Edit button in the top right corner of all your posts.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Apr 2005 03:42:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 12:32:10 pm    Post subject:

No one is answering my requests. Sad I still need some sprites of like a normal person.Or i can keep writing it in textsprite.If i can find anyway to stop the screen from flashing please tell me.I Have a TI-84+ and i have no idea how to program assembly.So can you please help me?Especially Digitan and Afrosy.Thank You. Neutral
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 12:58:00 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you can show the piece of code that makes the screen flash?
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 02:30:26 pm    Post subject:

If its going to be a graphical basic game i would reccomend the use of these to display maps, sprites, whatever

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/318/31824.html - Codex
http://www.detachedsolutions.com/omnicalc/ - Omnicalc
http://omnimaga.earthforge.com/xLIB_0.3a.zip - xLIB v0.3
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 04:12:42 pm    Post subject:

Although good graphical basic games are possible without those, it's not a good idea for a beginner.
Lunar Wolf Demon, if you have any programming problems (such as a flashing screen) don't hesitate to ask those in a new topic at the TI-Basic forum.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 06:37:48 pm    Post subject:

Could you post a general introduction to the game (a little story on the game setting)?

From what kind of perspective do you want these sprites drawn? Top down? Birds-eye view? From the side? Turn-based battle sequence pose?
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 08:25:20 pm    Post subject:

This is a bit long as i tend to be very repetitve in basic but please bear with me. Neutral
8->X
1->Y
Lbl 9
Output (X,Y,"I"
Getkey->K
While K=0
Getkey->K
End
If K=26
Goto RT
Lbl RT
Clrhome
Output(X,Y,"I"
Y+1->Y
If Y<16
For(A,0,15)
Clrhome
Output(X,Y,"I"
Goto 9
End

Oh yeah,The sprites should be from the side because i want to give it a smooth Megaman Zero kind of sidescroller with shooting and constant jumping and attacking.Ialso need to find a way to make my sprites higly responsive to key presses.Just keep in mind that I cannot program aasmbly nor do i know what it is.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Apr 2005 08:29:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 11:20:24 pm    Post subject:

Although your program's a cool idea, the implementation thereof is really lacking. You should look at your code extremely well to determine what is needed (and, consequentially, what's not needed) to perform exactly what you're trying to do.

For instance,

Code:
If K=26
Goto RT
Lbl RT

All three of these lines can go. Surprised I'm sure it'll make sense to you when you think about it.

If not, then later it surely will.

8) Continuing on...

Code:
Lbl 9
Goto 9

Whenever you have a [font="courier new"]Lbl
and a [font="courier new"]Goto surrounding an entire block of code like that, it might be a good idea to use a [font="courier new"]Repeat there instead. Since it seems to go on forever without any conditions to put it at rest, you can do [font="courier new"]Repeat (until) [font="courier new"]1=0 for the exact same effect. (You'll learn later how [font="courier new"]Repeat 0 is identical to the previous argument.)

Now, for the flickering!
ClrHome may be fast and simple, but see if [font="courier new"]Output(x,y," ") might also be useful in your code.

Note: You can leave parentheses and most quotes "unclosed" at the end of each line...

Code:
Text(0,0,"Hello World")
Can become:

Code:
Text(0,0,"Hello World

It takes some time and patience to adapt to the language. However, if you want to be an expert TI-Basic programmer, you must always believe that there's a better way of doing things: On your quest for improvement, you'll suddenly find out how the language starts to adapt itself to you. :)

If you want a [s]highly efficient, optimized[/s] simple version of the code you submitted here, I've got one ready for you. Wink

...But first, we should know:

Do you want 1) the character to stay in place with everything scrolling past him, 2) the character to move freely until a certain distance is reached, whereupon the screen starts scrolling with each new step, or 3) the screen to stay "fixed" in place until the character moves out of its range, prompting the entire screen to shift over sixteen characters' width until utterly replaced by the next screen? :wacko:

Different wants require different programming. Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2005 12:12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 04:53:46 am    Post subject:

Supergoose wrote:
For instance,

Code:
If K=26
Goto RT
Lbl RT

All three of these lines can go. Surprised I'm sure it'll make sense to you when you think about it.

I agree with taking out the "goto" of the label which is on the next line but for the "if" statements maybe he means to use "if...then" statements around some code blocks

but yes, dont use "lbl"s. theyre evil.
Apostle

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 07:33:56 am    Post subject:

Lunar Wolf Demon wrote:
8->X
1->Y
Lbl 9
Output (X,Y,"I"
Getkey->K
While K=0
Getkey->K
End
If K=26
Goto RT
Lbl RT
Clrhome
Output(X,Y,"I"
Y+1->Y
If Y<16
For(A,0,15)
Clrhome
Output(X,Y,"I"
Goto 9
End

The things in bold that I quoted from you appear to be the problem with the flickering; you put the clrHome in a for() statement to repeat 15 times. Like Supergoose said, using the Output(x,y,"_ statement would erase only the moving item and the rest of the screen wouldn't be erased.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2005 07:34:34 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 08:40:29 am    Post subject:

a little optimization:

Code:
While K=0
Getkey->K
End

can be changed to:

Code:
Repeat Ans   //loops until Ans (the keypress) is not 0
Getkey->K
End

It's a bit smaller.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2005 08:40:51 am; edited 1 time in total
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 09:15:15 am    Post subject:

I would suggest you use xlib for rpgs (it is pretty simple and doesnt flicker, omni+xlib might not be a good idea for newwer programmers) as it doesnt flicker and is probably faster than what you are trying to do right now
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 09:22:51 am    Post subject:

Um i need to move the character and keep the background still until he reaches the end of the screen.Anyway,thanks for the help everybody!I really appreciate it since i have a technology competiton in two days.

Supergoose,my initial idea was to keep the character moving until it reached the end of the screen and then make a new screen but i want to make a real graphical game with a graphical background so I'd pick #2 of your choices.

Quote:
2) the character to move freely until a certain distance is reached, whereupon the screen starts scrolling with each new step.
Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2005 10:02:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 10:20:31 am    Post subject:

Then you're going to want to learn assembly.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 12:24:02 pm    Post subject:

Okay... Sad Can someone provide a link for a website that makes assembly programs for TI-84+.Any site will do.Thanks Again. :)My friend is borrowing my USB cable so I will upload it tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2005 12:24:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement