This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_k

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 10:40:46 pm    Post subject:

This was an idea of mine earlier, I mentioned it to madskillz, and posted it a few times but it doesn't look like the post ever went through... hmm, anyway. When sonic builds speed, the screen should action-blur the screen. How? Just 'OR' re-copy the screen buffer to the left one, two, and three pixels depending on how fast he is going.

-Mike
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 02:00:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if I like the idea of blurring the screen very much. I've tried playing Sonic CD on my dad's old laptop, and it was almost unplayable due to the motion blur from the laptop's crappy screen. I can't vouch for everybody, but I like to see where I'm going and what I might run into, instead of hitting an enemy that I couldn't see coming. The Ti 83's screen is blurry enough when updating as it is, so I'm sure we'll get the desired effect while hopefully still being able to see where we're going if we don't add a blur at all.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2005 04:12:29 pm    Post subject:

Most likely, the LCD will do it's own burning unless the batteries are brand new.

'OR' copying could still be used if we decide to use artificial sprite layers. That would let us draw Sonic "behind" objects (especially loops) just like in the Genesis versions. Plus it wouldn't take very much time or memory to include.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 15 Apr 2005 09:14:07 am    Post subject:

Simply ORing the sprites wont be good enough as if what you want him to be behind has any white in it sonic will show through. You will need to have masks for such layers.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2005 09:24:20 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2005 03:45:36 pm    Post subject:

They actually used that for the scaffolding sprites in Zone 5. It could make a nice visual effect.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 09:29:37 am    Post subject:

We also need something for the underwater parts. We can't exactly put a coloured filter on the screen like the Genesis games did, so we'll need some sort of wavy effect.
Mike_k

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 10:17:15 am    Post subject:

Raiser wrote:
We also need something for the underwater parts.  We can't exactly put a coloured filter on the screen like the Genesis games did, so we'll need some sort of wavy effect.

Hello Ben Ryves....

-Mike
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 16 Apr 2005 02:10:07 pm    Post subject:

You could probably just shift each row in accordance with a small lut of offsets. Might be fast enough. I take it thats what ben did.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Apr 2005 12:58:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to get some of the level artwork done, but I need some input on what levels there should be. Are we going to have external levels? If so, will they support custom tilesets? What levels should be included with the main game? I'm working on Green Hill Zone right now, and Bridge Zone. Gotta have Bridge Zone.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 20 Apr 2005 01:42:52 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea of external levels, it opens up a certain level of flexibility. What does everyone else think?

--AlienCC
Raster

Posted: 20 Apr 2005 07:42:03 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
I like the idea of external levels, it opens up a certain level of flexibility. What does everyone else think?

--AlienCC

I think so, and will there be a level editor to go along with it on the calc?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2005 08:19:37 pm    Post subject:

Since we're using RLE/ZCP compression on our levels, any on-calc editor would need to have compression capabilities. This might be easy or hard depending on which method we're using or if both types are used.

For the game, I figured we can have external levels, then have the game come with a "pack" of levels that go in the same sequence as the genesis and/or game gear versions.
Madskillz

Posted: 20 Apr 2005 09:43:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
(AlienCC @ Apr 20 2005, 01:42 PM)

-I agree with you 100 percent! However, will the level editor be released when the game comes out...maybe not. We could get a level editor done, that way Digi, myself, Raiser, Mike_k, shadowing, and maybe a select few can work on the levels during our own free time and then send them to each other and put them into one file. We may just release it as just Sonic and the first set of levels, but then release another updated version, with fixed bugs, a level editor, and a fresh set of levels. Like Bryan planned with Contra.

Also, we need to think of a time to discuss this guys (meaning programmers/graphics guys). I work tomorrow night and Friday, but I get done with work on Friday at 8 PM...I also have Saturday off...Maybe a PM should be sent to Mike_K, myself, DigiTan, Raiser, and Shadowing...I'll do that right now I guess...
jvdthwip

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Apr 2005 07:09:52 pm    Post subject:

With external levels, you could have Sonic 1 in a pack of levels, and then release Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 as level sets, rather than different programs.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Apr 2005 07:20:36 pm    Post subject:

External levels would definitely be the way to go, but the problem is:
Are you guys up to the challenge? From what I know, it would be somewhat difficult.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Apr 2005 07:32:58 pm    Post subject:

I think calling them Sonic 2 and 3 might land us in hot water with the fans unless we use tilesets from those games too; but I'm behind the idea in general.

UTI and DS tell me external levels aren't as tough as they sound anymore. Mirage OS supposely sets up the VAT functions, and I can use my savegame code from RW to do the same for our TI-82 versions. The thing that's still making me nervous is the level code and how we're going to decompress these 8K levels without a gigantic buffer.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Apr 2005 07:55:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the levels are going to be quite large. Not only that, but there's usually 3 acts for each Zone. I figure it'll keep the filesize of the levels themselves down if we have the level art in its own file(s), and have the levels themselves simply be files telling the game to paste certain tiles from the tileset in certain spots. That way we would only have to compress and store the level's art one time instead of three.

I like the idea of releasing new 'official' level packs to cover the other Sonic games, but we'd still have to update the game itself, as the other games support different actions, enemies and events that the first one did not. Not only that, but people would probobly want Tails/Knuckles in Sonic 2/3. I could draw them, so it's really up to the programmers to decide if they should be added.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's get a simple engine and a couple of levels together first, then worry about extra features later.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2005 07:58:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 04:48:37 pm    Post subject:

I'll try to see if there is a way for use to decompress levels on the fly. If we plan our levels out carefully, we should be able to get well over 50% compression with RLE.

[edit]

Also, the physics code is ready for a tilemap. I'll send out the update (plus notes) sometime this weekend.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Apr 2005 04:53:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 01:24:15 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't Ion have a function designed for external levels? Last I checked, I thought it did...
Madskillz

Posted: 26 Apr 2005 07:58:28 pm    Post subject:

it does...ionDetect

I plan on using that for right now...I have to talk to Digi though.

I saw SniperOfTheNight here a while back, I wish he would post. Wasnt he making the story of the old Sonic TI game?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement