This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 07:28:36 pm    Post subject:

Starting with this report..

http://unitedti.org/members/arcanewizard/U...%20analyses.doc
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 09:32:11 am    Post subject:

After reading the document, I couldn't agree more with everything found in it.

But I don't think we should promote anyone to the Staff position until after the contest ends...I don't see any reason why we should wait that long for the other improvements though.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 10:15:49 am    Post subject:

If some of the other admins (JBirk, Bryan) reply with their opinions and they're satisfied I'll start on it ASAP.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 04:08:34 pm    Post subject:

the "Forum structure and regulation" section sounds like something I could get started on in the TI-Basic forum at any time...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 04:14:49 pm    Post subject:

Most of that is higher level though, but you could make use of the labels-in-topic-titles rule, sure. You wouldn't even need permission for that, though it'd be nice to apply it in all forums at the same time, and accompanying it with a forum news post, and waiting untill after any changes to the moderation team.

I didn't really intend this to be read by the moderators, though, only realised it this afternoon when leofox told me he could, not that it matters.

Now that I think about it, it's cool to have feedback from the mods too, since a lot of changes will resolve around you guys and I can use more feedback.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Apr 2005 04:17:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 04:36:07 pm    Post subject:

I think all of your analyis, while correct, have nothing to do with the problems of UTI

UTI's problem, is that it isnt even really a programming group, its a forum. We do not keep track of our members at all. Most likely because there is way to many of them, and we let them in to easily. I think in order to make UTI better, we must be viewed as a prestigious programming group.

Not a group with like 50 members with only 5-10 really impacting the TI-Community. I know it is called United TI. But that was because 4 Ti Groups merged. All who had very prestigious standards...

I mean look at MaxCoderz and popular it is. It is so popular because of the immense skill its members have. They are all the best at, or extremely talented at what they do. This makes them very popular, and have a huge fan base. They always have big releases, which UTI has not really been doing (Cept Contra)

When I think of UTI this is what comes to my head. May be wrong, may not. but that is the impression that I get. It seems the forum is concentrated on so much, that the other more important stuff seems obsolete Sad
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 04:54:54 pm    Post subject:

I think we should start with re-organizing the forums to the way specified in the document. This should be done in the very near future, maybe not today but before the end of this week.

Some of the updates and improvements will take time to implement, weeks months, I don't know yet. Some of them don't need to be implemented right now, but rather over the next few weeks. Some of them we can get started on as soon as we hear from JBirk.

Additionally I want to note that we really only need one new staff member at the moment...if after a few months we want an additional one Then that would be ok. But I would prefer this to start out as a Super/Global mod so as not to make this person uneligible for the programming contest in case they were planning to participate, or have already signed up.

Any other suggestions that anyone who can read this thread (originally intended or not) provides would be welcome.

[Edit]Additionally why do we not have Digitan's project Robot Wars as a featured project with its own forum?[/Edit]

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 06 Apr 2005 04:58:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 05:34:14 pm    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
I think all of your analyis, while correct, have nothing to do with the problems of UTI

UTI's problem, is that it isnt even really a programming group, its a forum. We do not keep track of our members at all. Most likely because there is way to many of them, and we let them in to easily. I think in order to make UTI better, we must be viewed as a prestigious programming group.

Not a group with like 50 members with only 5-10 really impacting the TI-Community. I know it is called United TI. But that was because 4 Ti Groups merged. All who had very prestigious standards...

I mean look at MaxCoderz and popular it is. It is so popular because of the immense skill its members have. They are all the best at, or extremely talented at what they do. This makes them very popular, and have a huge fan base. They always have big releases, which UTI has not really been doing (Cept Contra)

When I think of UTI this is what comes to my head. May be wrong, may not. but that is the impression that I get. It seems the forum is concentrated on so much, that the other more important stuff seems obsolete  Sad

I wouldn't see that as the only problem, more like just another one. And since it's easier to reorganise a forum's structure and moderating team I left it to that for now.

Also, processes like management and forum moderation are supportive to the processes of completing good projects, especially team projects, providing a solid working area for such plans.

That's what we need to correct first.

And projects aren't the only cool things a programming group can produce. The assembly contest, for example, is currently taking up a lot (AFAIK/IMHO) of AlienCC's time, and if we had a more communicative, structured, and (therefore?) motivated team it would've been much easier to execute.

Of course, reorganising isn't going to make us magically kickstarting UTI to life and producing awesome projects every day, but with people communicating more, plans being actively discussed, input being expected and respected from the entire team, there's a much better chance of new projects being started and finished succesfully.

Quote:
But I would prefer this to start out as a Super/Global mod so as not to make this person uneligible for the programming contest in case they were planning to participate, or have already signed up.
Good point, perhaps we can wait with assigning new staff untill after the contest.

I really want to reorganise the forum/subforum structure before the end of this week and the moderating team accordingly, though.

Quote:
Additionally why do we not have Digitan's project Robot Wars as a featured project with its own forum?
Well, orginally, the featured project forum was just there for people who'd want to use it. They would message one of the admins and get a forum to work in that way. I don't think there's anyone left that knows that though.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Apr 2005 05:48:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadowing