This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 12:57:37 pm    Post subject:

So.. I made my serial link (AKA $4 link) following the instructions from ticalc. But now, it doesn't work. When i plug the cable into the calculator (without connecting the computer) nothing happens. This looks OK, my 'official' serial link did the same.

But when i connect to the computer, the calculator crashes (the cursor stays black and the calculator doesn't react if you press a key). The LED shines all the time though. If i send something using TI-Graphlink, it acts like no cable is connected.

What can be the solution to my problems?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 01:05:00 pm    Post subject:

If none of the wires are touching/connected where they shouldn't be, it's probably one (or both) of the diodes being connected the wrong way round.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Apr 2005 01:07:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 01:26:26 pm    Post subject:

If the diodes are connected the other way around, the calc ALWAYS freezes if the cable is connected, not just when it's in the comp.

Maybe it's the LED. Led's are diodes too right? Is the LED supposed to always shine?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 02:33:20 pm    Post subject:

Light Emitting Diode

I think it was supposed to stay turned on, and flash on activity.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 02:43:22 pm    Post subject:

i don't see what else could be wrong...

I guess that's my only chance, i'll try tomorrow.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 04:48:11 pm    Post subject:

There's an old thing with the Graph Link cable where if it's not pushed in far enough the calculator slows to a crawl, including the cursor looking like it's not actually blinking.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 05:13:49 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 01:33:13 am    Post subject:

I couldn't get my serial to work either and it's been causing a major headache.

Since no one's said "fire" yet, I'm guessing you used actual zener diodes and not the standard switching type? Somebody should document what the LED is supposed to do so we can know it works. Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 06 Apr 2005 01:35:09 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 09:28:08 am    Post subject:

i went to the shop and asked for zener diodes 4.7V, i'm pretty sure they gave me those. On the schematics it says that the triangle part of the led has to be connected to the com-port. In my cable, the long side of the led is connected to the com-port. I'm not that sure if it's the same.

Do i need special software for home-made cables? I used TI-Graphlink, and i can;t get TI-LP to work.

What does LED with 2v voltage drop mean?
Ray Kremer

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 12:55:22 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Do i need special software for home-made cables? I used TI-Graphlink, and i can;t get TI-LP to work.

You should be able to use the Graph Link software on the "black cable" setting with a homemade serial cable.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 02:20:10 pm    Post subject:

If you're not sure, assume you're wrong.

About the voltage drop, there's a difference in voltage between the anode and kathode of the diode, with that LED it's 2V.

Unlike other diodes a zener diode allows current to flow in both directions, which is why it's so easy to think the cable should be working, but only if it's higher than it's zener value (0.7V) after which you need to limit the current with a resistor or the diode could easily melt.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 03:07:33 pm    Post subject:

Ray Kremer wrote:
leofox wrote:

You should be able to use the Graph Link software on the "black cable" setting with a homemade serial cable.

It's set on Black Link so that's not the problem. I've had a black link earlier, but i broke it.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Apr 2005 07:53:26 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
About the voltage drop, there's a difference in voltage between the anode and kathode of the diode, with that LED it's 2V.

Unlike other diodes a zener diode allows current to flow in both directions...

You knew it's "cathode," right?

I thought the whole point of the diode was to allow current to only flow in one direction?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Apr 2005 03:21:31 am    Post subject:

Heh, it's kathode in Dutch, must've slipped.

Yes, that's normally the point, just not with zener diodes and I think one other kind of diode.

I'm not sure, but I think there's still a voltage drop between the cathode and anode with the zener diode, so that they're not completely useless.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Apr 2005 11:40:55 am    Post subject:

Yep. The zeners will keep the link voltages under 4.7v on the calc side, instead of the +/-25v from the comp. There's really no reason for why ours link shouldn't be working so I think it's the PC settings.

I told some DS guys about the problem, and they said it might involve the BIOS settings.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Apr 2005 11:41:21 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Apr 2005 11:47:57 am    Post subject:

Oh crap, my BIOS sux. It only shows what key i have to press for .5 seconds, and it's different from normal bios, cuz it's DELL.

I'll try though..
Ray Kremer

Posted: 08 Apr 2005 12:33:59 pm    Post subject:

If the BIOS settings is all it is, that's relatively easy to take care of.

http://www.technicalc.org/tifaq/?p2.htm#4.4.5
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Apr 2005 02:25:15 pm    Post subject:

My official Serial Link worked earlier on the same port and everything, on multiple computers. I've tried my link on 2 computers, both of which worked with an official link in the same com port, and it didn't work.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement