This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 04:30:55 am    Post subject:

With the recent release of TI Calculators with a USB Port on them, is it possible that we could get USB Flash Jump Drives to work as Expandable memory? Has anyone even thought of this yet, and if so what are the road blocks from making it a reality?

--AlienCC
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 09:50:01 am    Post subject:

I think there is a possible way. But then we would need to create drivers for the calculator in order to actually write to the flash. That may be the roadblock. Sad
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 10:38:23 am    Post subject:

The USB on a calculator isn't exactly compatible with most regular USB.
Cap'n Refsmmat

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 08:31:16 pm    Post subject:

I think you'd need to use some sort of adapter; I don't know it that adapter already exists or if it would need to be custom-made.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 11:25:54 pm    Post subject:

Heh, I'd think It would need a driver with some sort of modification either done to the USB flash, or the USB port.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2005 01:07:35 am    Post subject:

I was about to say it'd be a longshot but it turns out there are many PIC controllers that support full-speed USB 1.1 and 2.0. All of them sell for under $10, so if someone could get their hands on one, I guess using a mem stick would be a matter of writing a program to do all the FAT32 work and handshaking. I'm guessing the calc already has routines for handshaking since the cable works, so the hard part should be the FAT32 stuff.

Also, if you can use ASM to get full control of the USB port, you might be able to do it without an external equipment--assuming the calc can use full-speed mode. I couldn't find much hard data on these flash sticks but CompuPhase covers some of them in one of their articles. Awesome idea! If someone could pull it off, it might be the best calc mod of all time!
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 09:00:36 am    Post subject:

[quote name='Cap'n Refsmmat' date='Feb 26 2005, 08:31 PM']I think you'd need to use some sort of adapter; I don't know it that adapter already exists or if it would need to be custom-made.[/quote]
Quote:
I think you'd need to use some sort of adapter; I don't know it that adapter already exists or if it would need to be custom-made.

just use the calc to computer that comes with it and out one of those usb extension cords on the end.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 05:51:46 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I was about to say it'd be a longshot but it turns out there are many PIC controllers that support full-speed USB 1.1 and 2.0.  All of them sell for under $10, so if someone could get their hands on one, I guess using a mem stick would be a matter of writing a program to do all the FAT32 work and handshaking.  I'm guessing the calc already has routines for handshaking since the cable works, so the hard part should be the FAT32 stuff.

Also, if you can use ASM to get full control of the USB port, you might be able to do it without an external equipment--assuming the calc can use full-speed mode.  I couldn't find much hard data on these flash sticks but CompuPhase covers some of them in one of their articles.  Awesome idea!  If someone could pull it off, it might be the best calc mod of all time!

I don't think you would actually format it FAT or FAT32.

I think you would just do a RAW write to it.
Redline

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 08:32:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think you would actually format it FAT or FAT32.

I think you would just do a RAW write to it.

You would have to! The only roadblock that I see is that can the flash be paged like the internal flash can? And are there more than 65535 pages on the flash drive? I'm not that good at hardware/assembler yet so I might be asking basic questions...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Apr 2005 09:19:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm mostly concerned about the protocol. I'm pretty sure all these thumb drive makers use their own proprietary methods for handshaking and addressing, etc. So far I've found bubkis on this. I'll look into it more this summer when I have some free time.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement