This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 09:04:56 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy Well Guys,

After reading a PM from MadSkillz, I got real motivated and locked myself in my room for 4 hours!!! I listened to 5 cds, and solved all the hurdles I was having with the Level Editor, I finally have it in my head how I am gonna do what I want to do. It took a while b/c what I have to do with this editor is extremely advanced. I finally developed an equation that would allow the saving of seperate frames, and not require editing to be real time editing. Basically meaning that you can just mess around with a frame and it will only save it if you...well...save it Very Happy Who woulda thunk it?

So I am finally announcing A release date for the Level Editor and the Updated Release of Contra!!!

The release date will be: April 2nd, 2005. Thats right, so after your all messed up from April fools, heres one thing that will not be a trick! Very Happy

The above release date is a maximum date. Basically meaning that the Level Editor will be released BY April 1st, 2005. So if things go better then I expect with programming, and beta testing, then it will be released before that date.

CELEBRAAAAATTTTEEEE GOOD TIMES CMON!!!! Razz

Last edited by Guest on 23 Feb 2005 09:10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndrewT
Outer Limit Software

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 09:30:42 pm    Post subject:

Laughing Sounds really great Bryan! If it doesn't get featured at Ticalc this time around, well... what a bunch of clueless idiots they would have to be! Wacko

Last edited by Guest on 23 Feb 2005 09:31:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 10:03:55 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we should email the admins over there this time. Also, --and I might be mistaken here--but I noticed they deleted axcho's response to their most recent news item when he mentioned Contra and UnitedTI in passing. We should get the word out about the original so it won't go "unnoticed" by the news editors this time.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 10:13:53 pm    Post subject:

found his post...

Quote:
On United-TI, several people have talked about ideas for a new programming language. Try going there (link above) to share your ideas with people who might actually do something with them. Also, I think that BASIC might take longer to learn well than assembly. Contra 83 is an example of a high-quality BASIC game for the TI-83+. What would really help is more rating of the low-quality games.

I don't really feel a need right now for another language besides BASIC or assembly, though. If I want to program in a powerful higher-level language, I would use a computer. The purpose of BASIC, besides for making math homework easier, is to work against the limitations of the language and still make impressive programs (like Contra). Assembly is for making programs that are too complex for BASIC. By the way, strings in BASIC are often helpful for some of the problems mentioned in the article.

Sweet Very Happy

Im probably gonna go promote Contra over at MC, just to get a little more popularity, but I think your right. We have got to find a way to fix them ignoring it. Sad
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 03:19:58 am    Post subject:

I've sent an email to the ticalcs newsgroup, with this announcement, and a link to this topic.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 03:36:31 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Maybe we should email the admins over there this time.  Also, --and I might be mistaken here--but I noticed they deleted axcho's response to their most recent news item when he mentioned Contra and UnitedTI in passing.  We should get the word out about the original so it won't go "unnoticed" by the news editors this time.

It does appear as though they deleted it, which makes no sense as its certainly more on topic then half the drivel they left behind. If I didn't know any better (and I honestly don't) I'd say it appears as if they're somewhat biased towards us.

--AlienCC
axcho

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 12:57:18 pm    Post subject:

It isn't deleted, it's posted under George Limpert's article, not the news article. (They said to post responses there.)
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 02:49:12 pm    Post subject:

Good thing I'm not an expert then eh?

--AlienCC
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 05:27:40 pm    Post subject:

Whew! That had me worried for a while there.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 09:37:36 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you guys a little update on some things and give you a lil more eye candy Very Happy

Hope you like it! Very Happy

I also just got an awesome idea!!!
What do you guys think of a Contra v1.1 Level Editor Contest. Where anyone can submit a fuill nine frame level and compete for the most attractive and creative level. I think it would be an awesome idea because it would cause alot of levels to be made for the game, and would promote the level editor. The reward could be that the level is featured in Contra 2!!!!!
What you guys think about that?

ooops wrong topic Very Happy
MissingIntellect

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 05:43:02 pm    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
The release date will be: April 2nd, 2005. Thats right, so after your all messed up from April fools, heres one thing that will not be a trick!  Very Happy

Erm, it's April 4th now, and nothing... Neutral Neutral
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 07:03:22 pm    Post subject:

I too was looking forward to the release of this...

--AlienCC
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 07:27:56 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he's waiting for me to get my link cable from my friend before you can get your hands on the source?

</wishful thinking>
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Apr 2005 07:47:42 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys, I am very sorry...

1. For obviously missing my release date for the level editor
2. For ignoring the fact that it was after the 2nd, and I had not notified anybody of the current status of the game

The reasons for all of this happening can be explained, however still does not make me feel better about letting Contra fans down. Ok here goes nothing...

1. The reason that I missed the release date can be attributed to one main reason, however alot of roadblocks arose to the point in which it made production very hard:

Everything was going well with the editor, however I hit a huge a roadblock code wise when I finally got to saving/loading the frames inside levels. Now when I hit a roadblock, I am not one to ask for help. I usually just think non-stop for like a week until an idea pops into my head on a new way to approach the problem. However I just could not beat this thing. Therefore I became very discouraged and unmotivated. Now, your probably saying well, why didn't you just ask for ideas? and the truth is I have no idea. It might have been the fact that I was having extreme girl/friend problems, or that I was overworking Sad . But overall that is what happened I hit something I could not figure out, and decided to take a break, but then I just could not remotivate myself. Sad.

2. Now this I have a good excuse for, on April 2nd my car was broken into. I lost all 72 of my cds, and my cd player and now the fucking insurance company refuses to offer me any compensation. I have been one pissed off person the last couple of days and have been real aggressive as you can guess, so I guess I did not think to make a post.

Overall I am sorry that I did not make the release date. I am not one to be late on things and I hate it so much. Production on the Level Editor will continue, however as far as when it will be done I have no clue. This is a very important month for me school wise. I have to finish up on a huge senior project, and do the whole graduation thing. So as you can imagine I will have my hands full. But I promise to work on it whenever I have the chance, in the car, at school anywhere I can.

In summary, The Level Editor will still be completed at a later date. I am sorry for the inconvenience and dissapointment that it may have caused. I will work double time to make it up to you! Sad

However as I mentioned before, I have a problem that I cannot solve code wise, so watch out for a post regarding it ver soon. Thanks again, and sorry. I hope you understand. Sad Sad

The main problem is that I have a list for the curre
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 06:11:02 am    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
2. Now this I have a good excuse for, on April 2nd my car was broken into. I lost all 72 of my cds, and my cd player and now the fucking insurance company refuses to offer me any compensation. I have been one pissed off person the last couple of days and have been real aggressive as you can guess, so I guess I did not think to make a post.

that must've sucked. Have you backuped your cd's? (like ripping them, or copying).
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 10:59:31 am    Post subject:

Just look on the bright side. It's like they say: "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement