This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Apostle

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 02:58:48 pm    Post subject:

This game is basically an action game with a twist: the player can customize the statistics of the units they control by equipping the chassis and various parts. I haven't settled on a particular combat interface, but I'm currently working on a picture compression system for it to aid in drawing sprites. So far there are three equipment parts: chassis, primary weapon, and secondary weapon. The arenas have variables, too, such as size, object frequency, accuracy modifiers (think like fog, but in game represented by big black boxes where you can't see the sprites), and the time a match can take. It is currently written in TI-BASIC because I fear the ASM.

So far I have some nice menu subroutines down and basically the entire User Interface is finished, save the pre-game status viewing (which is going to use my picture compression). It will in the end have a versus/link mode and (tentatively) a mission mode.

The main title is latin, if you were wondering.
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 02:42:30 pm    Post subject:

reminds me of Front Mission

is this gonna be rpg like or side scroller? or is it totally different?
Apostle

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 06:06:31 pm    Post subject:

Well, the combat is action based, so I would say primarily that. The version I am working on only has the versus and AI battle features planned, since I determined that missions might take good a chunk of memory. Still, I think if done right this can be a really excellent, if comparitively simple, action game. I'd consider ASM, but this is not an ASM friendly kind of game. Wink
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 07:58:19 pm    Post subject:

So...would it be like Command & Conquer: Renegade or the Mechwarrior series? Or will it be something more like that Tankers 68k game? (Any concept art yet?)
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 08:09:08 pm    Post subject:

Renegade is 3D, isn't it?
I thought this was 2D. If you can make 3D in BASIC, excellent work.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 03:10:04 am    Post subject:

Apostle, please change your signature. It's kind of... BIG.
Apostle

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 03:04:22 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, kind of like mechwarrior, I guess. I decided I would try 3d becuase it doesn't seem impossible to pull off. A first person view wouldn't be too tough, and if I did it right a level editor could make missions compressable and small to implement.

(the sig is smaller now)
Madskillz

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 09:43:07 pm    Post subject:

I am the Machine....
Apostle

Posted: 21 Mar 2005 02:59:50 pm    Post subject:

Yup...

So now after working on it in 40 minute intervals for 5 days a week, I have about 95% of the interface done. All that remains is inserting enemies (sprites), missions, linking (which I have no idea how to do), and optimizations (I optimized it a bit already, but can probably go further).

Screenshots to be posted soon.
axcho

Posted: 21 Mar 2005 07:59:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm excited to see those screenshots. Did you make the on-screen map and everything for raycasting? Are you going to post the code too, so we can optimize it?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2005 02:38:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah, don't skimp to concept screenshots too. I've found they actually speed up development a little. (Unless you get carried away)
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Mar 2005 02:49:23 pm    Post subject:

Madskillz wrote:
I am the Machine....

great post... Rolling Eyes

anyways, i cant wait for a screenie too!

DigiTan:
Quote:
Yeah, don't skimp to concept screenshots too.
What does that mean? Did you mean you should take pictures of concepts too? I suppose that could help maybe. Itll get people "pumped up" about the game! Laughing
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2005 04:42:21 pm    Post subject:

koolmansam375 wrote:
Madskillz wrote:
I am the Machine....

It was a translation of the title, from Latin, I think...
At least I'm not sure what else would induce him to proclaim this.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 10:05:09 am    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
koolmansam375 wrote:
Madskillz wrote:
I am the Machine....

It was a translation of the title, from Latin, I think...
At least I'm not sure what else would induce him to proclaim this.

Yup, it was a translation of the title. Though i think Machina litteraly means crane.
Madskillz

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 06:47:41 pm    Post subject:

Yes...it is a translation of the title. Finally my Latin has come in handy, other than for the use of roots! Very Happy

I had no idea what Machina meant I have never used it in Latin. So I just assumed machine. Plus the title is incorrect anyhow. The a on the end of Machina means it is plural...so technically it would read, I am the Machines. That just sounds funny. Razz I am sure nobody would look into it that much. Man I hate Latin!
If you want to be technical, it would be Sum Machinam
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 07:40:55 pm    Post subject:

*sigh*
Quote:
I had no idea what Machina meant I have never used it in Latin.
machina, ae, f. machine; siege-engine.
Quote:
The a on the end of Machina means it is plural...

The a on the end of Machina would mean plural if it's a second declension neuter noun. Since Machina is actually a first declension feminine noun, it's nominative singular.
Quote:
If you want to be technical, it would be Sum Machinam
For predicate nouns (when you're saying something is something else), you use the nominative case (Machina) and not the accusative (Machinam)
Quote:
I am sure nobody would look into it that much.
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you...
Madskillz

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 09:04:58 pm    Post subject:

ok...besides you. You are absolutely right, I was assuming it was a second declension noun. Like I said, I have never seen that word before, and I am in Latin 3. It was obvious it meant machine, that was an easy assumption. Very Happy
Well, thanks for setting me straight! Again...I have no idea why I put Machinam, because I had stated it as a second declension noun, the plural of a neuter noun always ends in "a"...leave me alone, I have had a long day! Laughing What level of Latin are you in Robin?

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2005 09:08:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 10:25:05 pm    Post subject:

I took one level of Latin three or four years ago. You should be ashamed of yourself...
Madskillz

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 10:39:58 pm    Post subject:

ha ha...your right, I am! That was just dumb on my part, but like I said, I had never seen the word before, I should have guessed it was 1st, but you never know, it could have been 2nd declension neuter! Very Happy Ok, I am going to edit my posts and pretend this never happend...if only my latin teacher could see me now!

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2005 10:41:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 10:40:16 pm    Post subject:

koolmansam375 wrote:
What does that mean? Did you mean you should take pictures of concepts too? I suppose that could help maybe. Itll get people "pumped up" about the game! Laughing

Yep! It's good for figuring out what graphics will fit on the screen and such. ...And basically getting things to "look right." Most of the graphics in Robot War were drawn out on MS paint months before the first line of code was typed.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement