This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 11:47:42 am    Post subject:

I have this annoying problem, and that is that i can't use firefox. Firefox thinks that there is no internet connection, even though i can just use the internet with IE. I connect to the internet using an Ethernet Modem, which goes to a wireless router. I use windows XP.
On another computer which connects on the same router and same network and everything, Firefox DOES work (actually, i'm typing this in Firefox). The only difference is that that computer has windows 98.
This is quite an annoying problem, because IE is so crappy. I hope you have a solution for this.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 12:07:11 pm    Post subject:

What are your connection settings?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 12:07:57 pm    Post subject:

Are you running Service Pack 2? (Probably doesn't have anything to do with anything, don't ask)

[EDIT] Are you actually running wireless, or are you hard connected to the wireless router

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 13 Feb 2005 12:08:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 12:13:25 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Are you running Service Pack 2? (Probably doesn't have anything to do with anything, don't ask)

[EDIT] Are you actually running wireless, or are you hard connected to the wireless router

Imp

It has SP1, and it's actually wireless connected, yes. I don't know about my internet settings. Is it possible that Firefox uses other settings than IE?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 12:39:16 pm    Post subject:

It uses it's own settings, look in Tools->Options and click on Connection Settings.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 04:36:27 am    Post subject:

You mean 'Extra->Opties->Algemeen tab->Internetinstellingen'? I use Dutch Firefox.

It was on 'direct connection to the internet' (which is wrong i guess) and i changed it to automatic detection. It still doesn't work. The weird thing is that the other computer in the network DOES work with Firefox, with the same settings and stuff.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 05:36:34 am    Post subject:

Oh I didn't know there was a Dutch version yet, funny.

Anyway..

Direct connection means no proxy server, but maybe via a router, automatic detection is for when you do connect via a proxy server.

Do the network settings of Windows match between both PC's? (tcp/ip protocol in specific)
Do you use a router and does it have matching settings for both PC's?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Feb 2005 05:37:07 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 08:16:41 am    Post subject:

yeah, they made a Dutch Version.

Yes, I use a router. The working firefox is set to 'direct connection'. I don't want to mess with the network settings, because it took a while to actually get the internet working on that computer.
Cap'n Refsmmat

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 03:45:06 pm    Post subject:

I believe it can be set up to use IE's settings during install.

That's what I did.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 06:59:26 pm    Post subject:

Do you have your Gateway set?

You should have the following:
A valid IP and Subnet Mask in the Same network range but different host id.
Should have the Gateway set for the router probably.

Any proxy IP and Ports if necessary or a .pac file sometimes.

If you are using a Microsoft Network, all computers should have a different name, but same workgroup if you want them to see each other.

The username you use to login should be different than the computername. I would make it different than the workgroup name too.

To have name resolution between Win 98 and XP, you will need to install WINS on XP. You should also have XP make the 9x Network Disk to update the Networking Client on 98.

The 9x Client is truely inferrior.

My recomendations:
Uninstall Firefox, check your IP settings.
Delete the Firefox directory.
Re-install Firefox and set it up with the connection settings IE uses.

If this doesn't work, go to the working computer and grab the Firefox Profile. Dump it into the profile of teh broken Firefox. That will set your connection settings Smile to be the same as on the 98 machine.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 05:31:21 am    Post subject:

OK, i downloaded firefox again, and made it import everything from IE. It still acts like it isn't connected to the internet at all. ..
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 06:08:31 am    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
Do you have your Gateway set?

You should have the following:

The 9x Client is truely inferrior.

That's already working because otherwise he wouldn't be able to use IE to browse the web.

Leofox, have you tried copying the good FF's settings file to the malfunctioning one?

Have you had a look in about:config?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 01:19:42 am    Post subject:

You make a good point, Arcane.

I think he has a miss setting in say the proxy.

Honestly, I would do the following. Delete the Profile, go to the computer with working firefox and transfer the profile. It really is that easy.

The only thing I can think of is the proxy settings. If the proxy is setup wrong or setup when it shouldn't it won't work.

Tools > Options >Connection Settings in FireFox
--Should Roughly match--
Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings in IE

The only other problem could be packet/traffic shaping services running on your network or your firewall software?

E.g. something could be blocking packets from FireFox. I would check if you have Zone Alarm, McAfee, Symantec, Windows Firewall... and if on a network ask the Network Admin.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 07:41:29 am    Post subject:

I turned Norton Firewall and Antivirus off, as well as Windows Firewall. Windows is complaining that i can be hacked, but firefox still doesn't work.

Quote:
and if on a network ask the Network Admin.

Umm.. i kind of AM the Network Admin. This is a home wireless network, and me an my dad set it up and make sure it works. So we're kind of the network admins.

Quote:
Honestly, I would do the following. Delete the Profile, go to the computer with working firefox and transfer the profile. It really is that easy.

Good, i'll try that.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 09:54:21 pm    Post subject:

Then do it right.

Add/Remove programs.

Remove Firefox. When asked, tell it to remove everything.

Next, go to

C:\Documents and Settings\leofox\Application Data\Mozilla

Replace leofox with your windows username. Application Data will be hidden, but you can type its name in the address bar or tell windows to show it.

You should then just delete the Mozilla Folder unless you have thunderbird email or some other Mozilla Product that does work properly. Then be more selective.

Now, reinstall Firefox and if you want, choose to import stuff from IE (optional)

You can probably find and backup your bookmarks file and your saved passwords file too.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 09:03:51 am    Post subject:

i already did this, with importing from IE and all, but it still didn't work. I'm going to burn the working fox's profile on a CD and put it on the new comp.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 05:39:17 pm    Post subject:

Portable Firefox
If you have a USB drive, you can use this as a temporary solution. :)

Did deleting/copying the profiles work?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Mar 2005 12:56:43 am    Post subject:

Portable Firefox really is nothing more than normal firefox and a special start file to point it to the profile.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement