This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Feb 2005 09:52:36 pm    Post subject:

Just guessing, is L_CH a "check" list? I mean, does it have a listing of all the checksums or something?

EDIT: Or, another guess, is it where your progress is saved?

EDIT 2: There is one place (don't remember which program) where you delete all the lists, using DelVar's. Wouldn't ClearAllLists be better?
Also,

Code:
If H!=1:Then
T2(H=3
Pxl-On(V+1,U+1-Ans+T3(H=2
Pxl-On(V+3,U+1-Ans+T3(H=2
End

Why not do

Code:
If H1=1:Then
U+1-T2(H=3)+T3(H=2
Pxl-On(V+1,Ans
Pxl-On(V+3,Ans
End

Last edited by Guest on 09 Feb 2005 10:00:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Feb 2005 11:12:53 pm    Post subject:

I could tell you but Id have to kill you... Very Happy

Haha j/p But it really is the reason for the amount of detail I was able to fit into the levels and the backbone of this program.

L1 Encoding:
L1 contains the line cordinates nescessary to draw the graphical levels. Format is:
{X coord 1 Y coord 1 X coord 2 Y coord 2}
You will notice that there arent any commas. Thats because I jammed all 4 coords into one 8 digit number. So if I wanted to draw a line at Line(15,24,15,89 - I would use this format L1{15241589} thus using 1/4 the cells.

L2 Encoding:
L2 is the mother list - meaning all the other lists refer to it. It contains the number of cells to execute on each frame. So If i have 50 lines total divided among 2 frames, but i only want 19 on the first frame and the other 31 on the second frame I have to specify in L2. However since L2 does contain alot of information for all the lists, Ill give you the format:
L2{[(L1 Data - Lines)0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0] , [(L3 Data - NMEs)0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0] , [(L5 Data - Weap. Ups.)0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],[(L6 Data - Water)0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0] , [(L4 Data - Mines)0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0] , [(Start positions)0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]
Hopefullly that makes sense. As you can see each list gets 10 cells in L2. 1 thats always 0 and 9 for the 9 total frames. The initial 0 is nescessary to create a difference through subtraction. The start postions are located at the end of the list. Basically just holds all the information on where to respawn.

L3 NME's
No big deal here. Just 4 cells for each enemy. Format:
L3{X coord, Y coord, Direction (either 1 or -1), type of enemy (1-3)}
Thats it!

L4 Mines's
This is simple to just an X and Y coord merged together as a 4 digit number. Extracted using the same method as L1. Format:
L4{Y coordXcoord}

L5 Weapon Upgrades
This is simple to just an X and Y coord merged together as a 4 digit number. Extracted using the same method as L1. Format:
L5{Y coordXcoord}

L6 Water
This basically has the same format, however it only needs and X coord, and an amount so the calc knows how many water sprites to draw. Merged as one cell. Format:
L6{X coordLength(1-26)}

Well I hope I answered that well enough :D

*****Edit Alex posted same time as me Very Happy *****

a, ya learn something new everyday since when has ClearAllLists existed? lol Very Happy Yup your right there.

LCH is the high scores, LCS is the save list

Yeah nice call on the ANS. I believe I originally did that but some how recieved an older backup file of ZNME and must of disregarded it. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 09 Feb 2005 11:18:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Feb 2005 07:05:32 pm    Post subject:

There was a place you deleted the lists I think, that you didn't need to because they got overwritten immediately...
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Feb 2005 10:13:50 pm    Post subject:

I am glad to see people finally programming like I once did in BASIC.

Bryan, We would be happy to host files for you since you are staff.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 11:05:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I am glad to see people finally programming like I once did in BASIC.

Bryan, We would be happy to host files for you since you are staff.

Thanks JBirk Very Happy . Yeah, I am already hosted by you guys. You gave me 200mb of free space so I could host the OLS Website, but for some reason, my ftp client cant generate the file list after it connects. It is starting to piss me off. AlienCC recommends FileZilla, but I cannot stand it Very Happy . So yeah, thnx for hosting me, hopefully Ill resolve the problem before too long.

Quote:
There was a place you deleted the lists I think, that you didn't need to because they got overwritten immediately...

I did that to reduce the nescessary run space that the user would need to have, because its right before it has to unarchive the level vars, and store them into temp lists, and I need to delete them so the calc would have enough space to unarchive all the nescessary lists. But I will use ClearAllLists now that I know about it. Very Happy

I have many Ideas for a Contra sequel...thats right a contra sequel!! I wanna work on it SOOOOO bad, but I gotta get this level editor done first Very Happy
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 06:29:05 pm    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
L3 NME's
No big deal here. Just 4 cells for each enemy. Format:
L3{X coord, Y coord, Direction (either 1 or -1), type of enemy (1-3)}
Thats it!

Could you merge the last two parts of that? -3 would be a #3 enemy facing left, 2 would be a #2 enemy facing right. You could knock off a cell that way.

And, a little more tricky, couldn't you get rid of one of the coorcinates for lines? All of them are straight, so instead of "15241589" for "Line(15,24,15,89" you could have 152489, because the X-coordinate doesn't change. You might need to have a different format for vertical and horizontal, but I think it would still be smaller.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Feb 2005 06:33:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MissingIntellect

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 10:07:25 pm    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
Yeah, I am already hosted by you guys. You gave me 200mb of free space so I could host the OLS Website, but for some reason, my ftp client cant generate the file list after it connects. It is starting to piss me off. AlienCC recommends FileZilla, but I cannot stand it  Very Happy . So yeah, thnx for hosting me, hopefully Ill resolve the problem before too long.

What FTP client are you using? Neutral
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 10:57:34 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
And, a little more tricky, couldn't you get rid of one of the coorcinates for lines?  All of them are straight, so instead of "15241589" for "Line(15,24,15,89" you could have 152489, because the X-coordinate doesn't change. You might need to have a different format for vertical and horizontal, but I think it would still be smaller.

There are levels with diagonal lines.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 12:04:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What FTP client are you using? mellow.gif

I use Flash FXP, I love the setup of it and it is so simple to use. You can easily edit internet files, without having to save and re-transfer. It is just one of thsoe things you use and get used to. :D

Quote:
And, a little more tricky, couldn't you get rid of one of the coorcinates for lines? All of them are straight, so instead of "15241589" for "Line(15,24,15,89" you could have 152489, because the X-coordinate doesn't change. You might need to have a different format for vertical and horizontal, but I think it would still be smaller.

That would only save memory on the install files. It would not reduce the size of the list at all as far as my knowledge goes. Correct?

Quote:
Could you merge the last two parts of that? -3 would be a #3 enemy facing left, 2 would be a #2 enemy facing right. You could knock off a cell that way.

I could easily merge all 4 cells together. However, L3 is the only list that the main loop must actually access. If I merged all the cells together it would save alot of memory, but increase the time in which the loop must concentrate on that enemy. So yeah I know the enemy list could be shortened more, I just saw no way to do so to conserve speed..

...Editer going well!!!
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 05:44:51 pm    Post subject:

Why would adding the last two parts of the enemy list sacrifice any speed? You still test if it's 1, 2, or 3 (abs isn't that slow is it?), and whether it's positive or negative.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 08:20:17 pm    Post subject:

here's a rewriting of ZNME with that in mind:

Code:
L3(S+2 -> V
L3(S+1 -> U    
L3(S+3 -> H
-1+2(B>U -> T
If not([A](V/7,(U+3)/4
Then:Return:End
If TH>0
Then:-V-2
Line(U-1,Ans,U+3,Ans,0
Line(U+1+(H>1)-(H<-1),Ans,U+(H=3)-(H=-3),Ans
If 2=abs(H
Then
-V-3:Pt-Off(U+1+T,Ans:Pt-On(U+1-T,Ans
End
-H -> L3(S+3
RecallPic 0
Return:End
If A-1 != V:Then
Return:End
If 4+4abs(H) >= abs(U-B
Then:6:prgmZSUB:End

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2005 08:25:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 12:31:21 pm    Post subject:

Holy crap Alex. I just now realized what you meant by that. Yes I could definetely use your idea. I thought by add the last two together, you meant merge them wich would require ZNME to unmerge them and increase time. But yeah awesome idea. And now I dont even have to write it b/c sir robin did Very Happy
BarrenSoul

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 03:42:31 pm    Post subject:

oooooohhhh! more source code to look at... my precious... I'm almost failing my calsses and going threw a pair of batteries every week >:)

@_@ ooo so much *decides to let his brain sort it out subconciously*

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2005 03:52:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 12:33:36 am    Post subject:

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you guys a little update on some things and give you a lil more eye candy Very Happy

Hope you like it! Very Happy

I also just got an awesome idea!!!
What do you guys think of a Contra v1.1 Level Editor Contest. Where anyone can submit a fuill nine frame level and compete for the most attractive and creative level. I think it would be an awesome idea because it would cause alot of levels to be made for the game, and would promote the level editor. The reward could be that the level is featured in Contra 2!!!!!
What you guys think about that?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 05:26:25 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will create a (sub)folder for Contra levels, like they did for Mario. *cough* After it gets featured, of course.

EDIT: Maybe wait until after the UTI programming contest(s), though.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2005 05:26:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Apr 2005 07:47:31 pm    Post subject:

Just curious, do you have the newest version of the source? There's no way to tell what's changed and what hasn't. The level editor topic reminded me of this.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement