This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jeffrey

Posted: 03 Feb 2005 06:53:33 am    Post subject:

I decided, for mostly gaming reasons, to repartition my 80gb hd to one 55gb primary, one 20gb non-dos partition(evidently, my harddrive isnt 80gb as advertised).

All of the partitions were primary partitions.

I installed XP on the first partition, C:, and from XP I partitioned the 20gb partition into a 15gb primary and a 5gb primary, bot FAT32.

I installed Windows 98 on the second partition overall (15gb) and it ran fine. I added it to Boot.ini in XP.

The problem is, whenever I set my main NTFS 55gb partition as active, I get a boot screen, as I should. Whenever I select Win 98 from the screen, it complains about not having the necessary dlls in the system folder (ntoskrnl.exe, etc.) and when I download these files, it just replies with a "Load needed DLLs for kernel" software error. XP works just fine.

Now, get this, when I switch my active partition to my smaller, 15gb win98 partition, windows 98 works just fine (of course now I have no boot menu).

So basically, I can get into Windows 98 if I set its partition as active, and I can get into XP if I set its partition as active, but Win98 then complains about missing DLLs.

Here is my boot.ini
Quote:
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Feb 2005 08:44:02 pm    Post subject:

I don't have expierence with dual booting so I can't help you there,
But you were saying how your 80gb harddrive wasn't really 80gb -

Well the reason is, some harddrive makers call a megabyte 1000bytes, when really its 1024bytes. Although it may not seem like a big difference, when you're talking about space that big (gigabytes) it is
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2005 10:33:45 pm    Post subject:

a kilobyte is 1000 or 1024 bytes, a megabyte is 1000000 or 1048576 bytes.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2005 06:42:33 am    Post subject:

I'm thinking win98 is looking for the dll's in a specific path (let's say c:\) but because the order of the partitions is different from when the winxp partition is the active one the partitons are named differently as well so it should be looking in a different path.

Also, you said you made 2 primary partitions in the extended non-dos partition, but you can only have 1 primary partition and you had already made one.

I think the key to fixing this is not changing the active partition after installing the operating systems or changing the having-3-primary-partitions-which-isn't-quite-possible situation...

Create the 55gb primary partition.
Set this partition as active.
Create two extended partition from what's left on the drive.
Then install the operating systems and leave the active partition alone.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Feb 2005 06:43:06 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Feb 2005 06:17:22 pm    Post subject:

You can actually have up to 4 primary partitions, but you have to use partitioning tools such as those that come with linux (not windows), in order to achieve this.

If you create an extended partition that counts against one of your primary partitions leaving only 3.

What I'm wondering is why you need Windows 98 when you have XP?

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2005 06:47:41 pm    Post subject:

I was assuming he used fdisk.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2005 06:52:32 am    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
You can actually have up to 4 primary partitions, but you have to use partitioning tools such as those that come with linux (not windows), in order to achieve this.

If you create an extended partition that counts against one of your primary partitions leaving only 3.

What I'm wondering is why you need Windows 98 when you have XP?

--AlienCC

Some programs for windows 98 don't work with windows XP.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Feb 2005 10:02:29 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Some programs for windows 98 don't work with windows XP.

Which programs are in question? Perhaps would could help you find a better alternative, or newer version so you don't have to use Windows 98?

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2005 02:15:49 am    Post subject:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h.../appcompat.mspx
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 10:09:25 pm    Post subject:

Okay, AlienCC brings up a very good pooint.

On any hard drive you have, it is going to be an MBR type of drive with room for 4 partitions.

FDISK will allow only 1 Primary and 1 Extended if I remember correctly.

DiskPart (comes with win2000 $ XP) will let you have more partitions up to 4, but it doesn't really tell you much about them.

You see, diskpart is dumb. It only makes one kind of partition.

It will make NTFS or FAT32 (?) I am actually assuming formatting sets the type byte becuase ti gives you a choice of ntfs or fat32.

To make a long story short, use fdisk in linux.

fdisk /dev/hda for the first ide drive

m prints help
n makes new
p for primary or e for extended
1 -4

p to show

If satisfied, w to write if not you can just quit.

If making a windows partition, be sure to set the type byte 07 for NTFS and if you need FAT32, look it up :)

Fdisk is very mature and easy to use. It holds your hand.

Procedure to duel boot windows 98/xp is as follows

Install 98 but leave unpartitioned space.

With win98 running, insert the XP CD.

Tell it you want to install a second OS or new partition... whatever. Just don't choose to upgrade.

It asks you some questions... and then has you reboot with the CD in the drive.

From there it walks you through creating your XP partition, formatting it, copying the files, setting up XP and automatically sets up the boot.ini file and marks the new XP partition active.

Durring boot up, it will ask you Win98 or XP XP will be default.

Now that it is too late, I would boot to a 98 startup disk and run
fdisk /mbr

and make sure your 98 partition is active.

Now, XP should be invisible to your computer which will boot 98.

From there boot to XP recovery console, edit boot.ini to add 98, mark your xp partition active, and then run the XP fixmbr command.

It should give you a boot menu and both should work.

If the shit continues to hit the fan, lthe LILO loader can be configured to boot XP or 98. It works great.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement