This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Contra 83

» Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 09:32:58 am    Post subject:

So, i saw there was no topic yet for reactions about Contra (except Draks st00pid rant), so i just started it myself. Here's my reaction (more like a review)

Gameplay: 9.5/10
This game has the best gameplay that i have seen in a TI-BASIC game. The controls are really easy, and there's not much of a lag, even on my non-silver edition.The character moves quite fast, almost like in ASM. There is one problem though, and that is that you can move through vertical walls. This can be quite annoying. That's the only reason that i gave it a 9.5 and not a 10.

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics are allright. So what the character is only 5x3 pixels, so what the levels are made of lines. This gfx are great, if you consider how fast it is and that it's basic.

Replay Value: 10/10
First, it can take quite a while before i finish this game, i've been playing for 1.5 hours now and i'm still in lvl 2... Second, because of the difficulty levels, you can beat the game on easy first and then play on higher difficulty levels. Third, when the level editor is done, you can make your own levels and play even longer!

Overall: (not an average) 9/10
This is a great game, even though the graphics are quite simple and there is a bit of a lag. A great achievement for TI-BASIC!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 12:36:41 pm    Post subject:

Gameplay: 9/10
My only complaint - maybe it's just that I haven't learned to use the [math] key, but I find it hard to move around without falling into water and such. Everything else is great - the character moves quite fast, and the enemies are challenging.

Graphics: 9/10
Obviously they're quite pixely as you can expect from a calculator game, but that does not make them any less of an achievement. The character can face different directions and is animated when moving. The levels' graphics are quite impressive considering they're made of lines. Frankly, if the game were done in ASM I do not see how the graphics could be better, considering the limitations in screen size. Also, I love the title screen.

Replay Value: 11/10
The game has six levels of which I've only beaten one so far, and multiple difficulty settings. Plus, there is going to be a level editor so you can play even longer!

Overall: 9.5/10
The only reason I did not give this a 10 is due to my problem with the controls. Everything else is great!
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 02:12:08 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy YESSSS!!!!! Very Happy

I am glad that you guys all like, wooohooooo!!

I was actually really wrried because I thought that the uploaded version wass the one I had on my calc, and when I played it, there was this big nasty diagonal line going through one of the frames, so I got all worried that that glitch was on the version I released lol, thank god I was wrong. Very Happy

Yeah, hopefuilly I can get this level editor done pretty soon, and that will greatly increase the value of the game. I will try to keep you guys updated on all that...

But yeah, thanks for your reactions !! Very Happy
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 05:09:23 am    Post subject:

teh reaction of my little brother: "vet leuk spel, maar het mannetje is raar" (this game is big fun! But the guy looks weird)
pretty much a summary of the game.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 05:31:04 am    Post subject:

A more accurate translation would be "phat, fun, game, but the little fellow is wierd."

: P

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jan 2005 05:32:31 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2005 05:38:07 am    Post subject:

you always have something to say about my Dutch>English translations do you Razz
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 04:40:53 am    Post subject:

Or, in the words of Altavista, "Nice game, but the male is strange!"

Anyways, about the game:

Gameplay: 9/10
Super fast, compared to other BASIC games. Tough to move around at first, but you get the hang of it. I agree with the vertical wall thing on the first post...

Graphics: 9/10
It's a calculator... you did an awesome job for 6K or so pixels.

Replay Value: 11/10
I still can't get through the first levels, but maybe that's just me Razz .

Overall: 9/10
One of the best BASIC games I've ever seen! Nice job Bryan Thomas. Now, I know it's a lil' early but an ASM version of this would certainly be featured on ticalc.org.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 07:44:01 am    Post subject:

why isn't his featured on ticalc? Is it already uploaded? It'd be a shame if this wasn't featured.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 08:10:16 am    Post subject:

Or you could go for an underground game style, have the game only be known at the coolest of places and not on lame sites like ticalc.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 08:45:17 am    Post subject:

Contra should get the attention that it deserves.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 09:45:20 am    Post subject:

*nods his agreement with those that posted before him*

I'm still stuck on the first level, but what I have seen so far kicks a Very Happy I will however hold off on a review until I actually finish the game, but for now I can pretty much echo everyone else's sentiments. Great job Bryan, it truly was worth the wait Laughing
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 10:45:57 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:

Exactly, not the attention of lame sites.

Quality over quantity.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 05:29:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm still stuck on the first level

Quote:
I still can't get through the first levels, but maybe that's just me

Quote:
The game has six levels of which I've only beaten one so far, and multiple difficulty settings

a, I thought Contra was too easy Sad haha but I am glad it makes the game more of a challenge for you guys. I am a Contra pro (duh) I am like unstoppable since I have played it all the way through soooooo many times. I have mastered the controls, timing, and lag but it did take a bit to get used to. So yeah guys keep practicing, once you really start to get the hang of it you will do better and will make the game a hell of alot funner once you start seeing the much cooler higher levels. Very Happy

Quote:
why isn't his featured on ticalc? Is it already uploaded? It'd be a shame if this wasn't featured.

I uploaded it a day before the release date. It is still pending Sad. I also sent an email to Michael V. and hopefully he makes Contra a featured program. I am worried that it will slip by him without him noticing it if Contra is added to archives before he reads his mail. Mad Hopefully all goes well... Very Happy

Quote:
(leofox @ Jan 4 2005, 14:45 )

Exactly, not the attention of lame sites.

Quality over quantity.

Haha!

BTW: Leave my sprite alone Razz

Guess what? The level editor is going well, I finally got a nice set up I think with nice menus that will allow you to view, edit, create any level you want, although I will have to make level slots so that the main quest levels are not touched. Overall if all goes well, The level editor will revolutionize some things by itself its mad advanced lol Very Happy
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 05:31:58 pm    Post subject:

Laughing By "quality" you mean us? How complimentary of you.

I haven't downloaded it yet (downloading this very moment), but my first impression is that it looks great.

EDIT: O great, having problems installing... But that's because I use all my memory, and I have like 5k archive Neutral Deleting stuff solved some of my problems, but since the installer was stopped halfway thru, I had to delete everything it had already installed Sad Anyway, it says its done now.
You forgot to mention in the readme that it requires some lists with names like CS. And I think you spelled "barren" baron once too, but other than that the readme was error-free.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jan 2005 06:03:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 05:52:51 pm    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
Guess what? The level editor is going well, I finally got a nice set up I think with nice menus that will allow you to view, edit, create any level you want, although I will have to make level slots so that the main quest levels are not touched. Overall if all goes well, The level editor will revolutionize some things by itself its mad advanced lol  Very Happy

Does it allow one to edit together a little storyline (make your own campaigns) where the levels merge into eachother like the original campaign and where you can set up those short story line messages in between levels?

(campaign = quest)
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 07:16:12 pm    Post subject:

A leetle mistake on the TI-84+/SE: if you go into MODE at all, ever, then the ground you walk on in Contra will disappear under your feet. I'm pretty sure resetting defaults takes care of this problem, or if not resetting ram will. I assume you use text to draw the character right?

Maybe you could make a "84+ friendly" version of contra which redraws the ground under the character when needed?
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 08:30:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
O great, having problems installing... But that's because I use all my memory, and I have like 5k archive  Deleting stuff solved some of my problems, but since the installer was stopped halfway thru, I had to delete everything it had already installed  Anyway, it says its done now.
You forgot to mention in the readme that it requires some lists with names like CS. And I think you spelled "barren" baron once too, but other than that the readme was error-free.

Yeah the install file is very large as well as the space required to run it, however as long as you have enough memory that should be all that errors. Hmmmm, maybe an unistal program should be added...

a my illiterate a!!! Very Happy lol j/p

Quote:
Does it allow one to edit together a little storyline (make your own campaigns) where the levels merge into eachother like the original campaign and where you can set up those short story line messages in between levels?

(campaign = quest)

As of now no, however that would be a pretty cool feature to add. Would allow gamers to make there own little story or theme for the level they create...hmmm I will think about that Arcane. How much freedom would you like with that?

Quote:
A leetle mistake on the TI-84+/SE: if you go into MODE at all, ever, then the ground you walk on in Contra will disappear under your feet. I'm pretty sure resetting defaults takes care of this problem, or if not resetting ram will. I assume you use text to draw the character right?

Maybe you could make a "84+ friendly" version of contra which redraws the ground under the character when needed?

Shit, Bluefire actually mentiontioned something about that to me one time, he sent me his calc state but it did not error on my calc (thought he was crazy Very Happy ) But I guess it is just the 84+ thats causing the error. I do not own an 84+ and do not understand how it can mess up on that model, and do not know how to fix it. I will release a revised version of Contra to make it 84+ friendly if you know how to fix it...
Madskillz

Posted: 04 Jan 2005 09:27:41 pm    Post subject:

Well I tested this on the 84+ SE...I must of missed this. I don't ever remember it doing that! Wink I'll have to check again. As everybody has said Bryan, nice work! Like I know I have told you before...it was a great achievement making this in pure BASIC. You did an awesome job. Surely this is worthy of a feature! Agian man...excellent job! A level editor too...wow man, you spare no expenses! Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jan 2005 04:53:11 am    Post subject:

Bryan Thomas wrote:
Quote:

(campaign = quest)
As of now no, however that would be a pretty cool feature to add. Would allow gamers to make there own little story or theme for the level they create...hmmm I will think about that Arcane. How much freedom would you like with that?

Well, besides the level editing that is already possible, all you would need is to be able to edit the intro text for the level you're editing/creating and set an id/name for the level that follows it.
Jutt

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Jan 2005 08:41:14 am    Post subject:

I found a way to fix the 84 bug. It's caused by the textEraseBelow flag which is turned on when you go into the mode menu.
Add these lines at the beginning od the program:

Code:
G-T
DispGraph
Full
Now by displaying very shortly the G-T mode, and thus the Table, TextEraseBelow is turned off.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement