This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 12:58:22 pm    Post subject:

You'd need a lot of memory, and I don't think the CPU is powerfull enough for real time MP3 decoding, even old Pentium I CPU's sometimes have trouble doing that. : /
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 02:30:37 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
You'd need a lot of memory, and I don't think the CPU is powerfull enough for real time MP3 decoding, even old Pentium I CPU's sometimes have trouble doing that. : /

i think if you use full assembly and only use small (= low kbs rate) mp3's, it could work. I think it really depends on how good you program the player. An example: I have 2 mp3 programs on my phone, 1 crashes if you use mp3's higher than 96 kbs, the other can play 160 kbs at 300% speed. So if you just program good enough, this can be possible enough.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 04:19:48 pm    Post subject:

Mozzarella wrote:

Surprised Holy cow! That mod looks exactly like mine! It even has the same name (pratically)! Color me embarrased.

Well anyway. I'm not 100% up-to-date on MP3 encoding, but my guess is because the serial Flash chips used in EED2 (and E2), they may not provide enough throughput to deliver quality sound data. Parallel Flashs and EEPROM might be more promising. That's only dealing with access times. The actual decoding will probably push the calculator's CPU to the limit.

But apparently, 11Kbs sound can work on a TI machines, so I'm optimistic. Wouter Demuynck wrote some TI-82 & DOS code a while back that could play over 25 seconds of .wav. Ultimately, I think it will all boil down to how optimised the code can get.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 04:43:18 pm    Post subject:

MP3 mod of a calculator? Easy. Materials required: calculator, iPod, duct tape. Step one: tape the iPod to the back of the calculator.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 04:50:19 pm    Post subject:

Ray Kremer wrote:
MP3 mod of a calculator? Easy. Materials required: calculator, iPod, duct tape. Step one: tape the iPod to the back of the calculator.

now that doesn't count, does it. That's like saying i can play 3D games, have 160GB archive and broadband internet on my calc. requirements: PC, calc, duck tape

Last edited by Guest on 05 Nov 2004 04:51:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 09:20:40 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:

now that doesn't count, does it. That's like saying i can play 3D games, have 160GB archive and broadband internet on my calc. requirements: PC, calc, duck tape

All is fair in love and war, so sure it counts.

--AlienCC
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Nov 2004 10:13:06 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:

Sure, it would count if you could find some duck tape and your PC could fit in your pocket. There are no such things as duck tape or a pocket PC.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Nov 2004 12:54:02 pm    Post subject:

OK, sorry.....

What hardware mod did you decide on doing? Extra memory?
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Nov 2004 01:04:53 pm    Post subject:

They've done WAV -> Calc... that's close enough if you have an MP3 -> Wav Converter in your PC

Last edited by Guest on 06 Nov 2004 01:06:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Nov 2004 04:34:22 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs may be on to something, WAV would be better as you don't need the higher-quality sound that mp3 gives.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Nov 2004 05:54:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm not onto nothing... It has already been done.
Click
Here's a even green day bit:
Click
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Nov 2004 06:31:58 pm    Post subject:

Looks like I got my names mixed up.

Ess's prog is remarkably easy to use. The quality is lower than most telephones, but then again it's coming out of a calculator, so I'm not complaining. What type of application did you have in mind for this audio, Mozzarella? (Long clips? Game sound fx? etc.)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement