This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Oct 2004 06:54:53 am    Post subject:

Those of you who know me may know that I usually leave the community during school vacations so I'm supposed to leave during christmas and summer. However, I think this time it will NOT be only for 3 months. After I finished hi-school I decided to start college (multimedia class) but as it get harder and harder with 19 hours of homework per weeks my score drop and there is a 90% chance that I abandon school between november and december. I can't afford internet for the momemt and it may take A VERY LONG while to find a job so I will stay without internet. Also I need to repair my computer as well.

So, basically, what it means is that once I will leave I will probably not be here for at least 6 months or even 1 year! Sad . Of course I know that at DP we need to visit the forums every weeks so I know what will hapopen next. This also mean that Omnimaga will no longer be updated (altough it's still a good ressource for RPG gamers). But this DOESN't mean that I stop RL4 as well. I'm going to continue coding during this period, but I will just not be here.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2004 09:44:36 pm    Post subject:

Once again I don't really know what to say. But I guess I'll keep this post from sinking in the active topics list. Well, I know you're pretty focused on school work but have you considered posting occaisionally from the library? It's lousey for privacy, but it's the only internet 'gateway' I've used for months.

As for the scores issue, I've tried the whole calc-hiatus-to-raise-my-GPA thing before...'didn't work. I guess my point is that if you're conserned about your scores and such, it would probably be more effective to work on things like organization, and working with your professors, etc. Study time might be a different issue, but it's generally been my experience that your grades actually get worse if you're not busy doing outside stuff (maybe it's a matter of motivation).

Well, hope all works out.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Oct 2004 03:04:05 am    Post subject:

It's all a matter of priorities and planning if you ask me.

I have ~19 hours of homework per week, per class, for 2 classes, and about 4 hours per week for 2 other classes, it just comes down to having a system in your head and doing most of it in classes, free hours, and, most importantly, don't do the stuff that isn't absolutely nessecary, though that won't lessen the workload an awefull lot, it still helps.

Oh, and NEVER do your homework in the evening after dinner, turns out some biological process after eating makes you lazy and difficult to concentrate and stuff, which doesn't help, just like there being more stuff on tv in the evening.

I just do my homework when I jsut got home from school, while eating a bit, and doing some other things at the same time, and I never ever do homework in the weekends, though maybe I should. It also helps to skip lessons you don't need, like there's these 2 hours of a presentation on programming every monday for me, but since they upload it afterwards and programming is hardly something I know nothing about I have a 3 day weekend.

Also, you'll get familiar with what people sometimes refer to as "all nighters" and the amount of coffee you consume will increase.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Oct 2004 03:06:57 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Oct 2004 02:17:50 pm    Post subject:

Excellent point, planning is very important.

Also, I forgot to mention to make sure you go to class. This sounds like a no-brainer, but it's easy to get lazy or over-confident and end up making this common mistake. 'Way I see it, you've already payed hundreds--possibly thousands-- of dollars on these classes, so missing one is like tossing out cash. Attendence is the only way to keep up with major announcements--plus you can get in your instructor's head. Same rule applies to subjects you're already good at.

Also, look for people who had the professor last year...ask them how the exams work...if the prof grades fair, etc. Learn as much about each test as you can without cheating.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Oct 2004 04:28:39 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Attendence is the only way to keep up with major announcements--plus you can get in your instructor's head.  Same rule applies to subjects you're already good at.

It helps when all dates for examns are in a little booklet you get at the start of the year, which also contains all other relevant information on your education and they upload everything you need to do, read, or havein your notebook to the education's website and the classes are really only there for 3 things, practical experience for stuff you can't do at home (presentations, meetings, etc.), asking the professor guy stuff, and handing in assignments you're required to hand in personally.

If you didn't get such a booklet or they don't upload presentations, notes, assignments, etc, mention it, it's really usefull.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement