This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Aug 2004 10:29:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, I really haven't seen much discussion on this lately in the forums (I'm probably just missing it), so I'm going to start some.

TI's "new" calculators are appearing everywhere. First it was online. Then it was some local stores. Now they seem to be getting everywhere... TI even updated it's online store not too long ago.

What're the thoughts on these that everyone has? Good, bad, benign?

Just some old news... Neutral
X1011

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 09:06:53 am    Post subject:

If if makes the price of the good calcs go down, I don't have a problem with the new ones.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 10:56:59 am    Post subject:

There is no next generation. Just extremely minor upgrades to calculators from the mid 90s.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 11:17:46 am    Post subject:

Notice how there are quotation marks around the words "next generation."
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 02:52:42 pm    Post subject:

Ray Kremer wrote:
Just extremely minor upgrades to calculators from the mid 90s.

Agreed... and mostly are aesthetic.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 04:30:32 pm    Post subject:

Like the TI-83+ "Blue Edition" which is EXACTLY the same as the TI-83+ except for the color.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 11:07:50 pm    Post subject:

Ray Kremer wrote:
There is no next generation. Just extremely minor upgrades to calculators from the mid 90s.

Which is such a shame. I guess having a large share of the market kind of kicks innovation out the door. Why move on to something new when what you have already works?
Ray Kremer

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 10:21:56 am    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Like the TI-83+ "Blue Edition" which is EXACTLY the same as the TI-83+ except for the color.

Well, those Target exclusive colored 83+s were pure gimmick.

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Which is such a shame.  I guess having a large share of the market kind of kicks innovation out the door.  Why move on to something new when what you have already works?

It's not so much that I think. The teachers won't have it any other way. Allow me to quote from my FAQ:
With the calculators so ingrained into math classrooms, to the point that handouts and whole textbooks revolve around them, it became vital that newly released calculators function exactly as their predecessors had, button by button and menu by menu. This led to the odd juxtaposition that the primary feature of each new calculator is that it has no new features to speak of. Though this was evident as early as the TI-83 Plus, it was driven home by the next updates to the 83 family, the simultaneously released TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 02:15:05 pm    Post subject:

Ray Kremer wrote:
With the calculators so ingrained into math classrooms, to the point that handouts and whole textbooks revolve around them....

Only too true. My textbook even had a demostration of sine waves using the CBL.

Although the Math 11 book had TI-92 screenshots, which was kind of cool Smile.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2004 02:15:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement