This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
james

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 05:27:31 pm    Post subject:

i thought it was adam
isnt it
adm. wiggin?
james

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 06:29:39 pm    Post subject:

I dont know,I just fell like UNITED ti isnt UNITED in this project.But i know that alot of people have other projects that they are dedicated to...
what would u do if u were me in this postion with limited help in the programming field,at most im intermiadiate
i need some one that could help me at my level or higher
John Barrus

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 06:43:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey, it's alright if no one else wants to help. In my opinion, I think we got all the needed help right here, a few coders, a writer, and a couple graphics artists. I would be in favor of keeping the team small so we won't have to worry about communication problems. I think with 3 coders, we can learn everything we need to know (and of course we can ask help, too).

I'm learning a lot about tile maps, and it really is easy once you get the hang of it!

As for Adm. wiggin, I don't think it's Adam. I thought it stood for admiral. Read the book Ender's Game to understand. Very Happy
james

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 06:56:31 pm    Post subject:

Yes i guess,all we can do now is just wait for the story,but i asked cyan to work on on some of the graphics of sonic running..so we can make that into a routine
to tes the speed and everything of the map
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 09:06:23 pm    Post subject:

Just a little update: I've been working on the story,and have the opening done,which is like the intro at the beginning of the game. I also have the first levle almost complete Laughing
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 11:27:07 am    Post subject:

I will help program if you need it. I'm not proficient, but I can send stuff throught the linkport! I'm sure I can learn more now that I don't have school.
james

Posted: 06 Jul 2003 07:13:41 pm    Post subject:

All the programmers,

we need to work on the sonic engine,like making the speed of sonic be as fast as it can be and also check to see how sonics speed will look on the calc.
Everything else,like the menu,intro and credits,are simple compared to the engine..and if the engine doesnt work than all the other stuff wont matter anyway

tell me who can do what with this engine,cyan is working on sonics graphics so i can put them into the game
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Jul 2003 08:13:13 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
John, if u find a good emu. and rom image, will u post a link?  (so the rest of us can get a feel too!)

i can get u an emu (through email) and some roms to (although it is illigal)
John Barrus

Posted: 06 Jul 2003 09:34:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, as for the game engine, we need to decide a couple things first:

Direct or indirect key input? (Most likely direct - faster and it can support multiple key presses. But a little harder to work with)

8-way scrolling (like Metroid - hard) or 1-way (like Mario - easy)? I'm trying to learn a little about scrolling

We need to know the sprite sizes of the tiles and the characters beforehand. It would also be nice to get a look at the graphics, too.

b/w or grayscale? (I really don't want to have to worry about it if we don't need to. I don't want to code a whole engine in grayscale just to find out it's not fast enough - which I doubt it would be anyway.)

what else?

Anyway, I think we should get a scrolling engine down first, then move on to character sprites. Then collision detection routines, then... whatever

Darth- could you email me the emu and rom? PM me if you can. thanks
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 07:41:55 am    Post subject:

Genisis and SNES rom sites ive found:

http://www.axigen.net/emulation/roms/ninte...tendo/index.php
http://www.cherryroms.com/snes.php?search=...r=s&pagenumb=22
http://www.freeroms.com (not many here, but I like this site. Get sonics from here)

You might have to sign up for one or two of the above.

I dont think these are illegal, or at least not for me, since I have most of the sonic games in my basement.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jul 2003 07:42:33 am; edited 1 time in total
John Barrus

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 10:21:47 am    Post subject:

I' ve tried to download roms from freeroms but all the links don't work.
james

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 12:49:55 pm    Post subject:

Direct key input,simple

We definalty need a 8 way scrolling engine,i havent made one before so its going to be hard,though i have made a four way scrolling engine.

i say we should use 12x12 size sprites,leaves room for detail and is not to big,also 16x16 will be to big for the backround

um as far as greyscla i think that we should use some,greyscale,like for the rings,and the special speed and forcefiels that sonic can pick up along the way,also at the end battle of the game,when sonic turns super sonic,other than that we shouldnt use greyscale

we should get a scrolling engine down first but it would be hard for me to make because i havent done a 8 way scrolling engine before,i will need some help with that

also dont wast your time going to the other links
this has everysonic game ever made for alot of the systems.

http://www.geocities.com/sonicroms2003/roms/

james Very Happy
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 01:07:55 pm    Post subject:

ya, if ur reffering to me with the Adam, then it is wrong... the prefix Adm. is a military term for Admiral! and btw, for anyone that was wondering about my absence over the weekend, i was grounded from my comp...

i am intermediate asm, and would be happy to help! (i just dont do grapix very well!)

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jul 2003 01:08:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Barrus

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 02:14:51 pm    Post subject:

James- could you email me your source for the 4-way scrolling? PM me if you can...

Well, 8-way scrolling will definitely be harder to code. James, me and you could work on this together, since you already have previous knowledge concerning the subject.

Anyway, I don't know about using 12*12 for the background. A 64 pixel high screen would have a hard time handling that. I'd probably stick with 8x8 if 16x16 is too big... but I think we could using 12x12 for character sprites (it would allow a little more detail than 8x8 and not as big as 16x16). I'll look into writing a routine for it...

Meanwhile, the geocities site has exceeded it's data transfer limit. Mad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 03:08:43 pm    Post subject:

Can't you do 8 side scrolling by using 4side scrolling?

For example going top left would be left and up with the 4 side routine.
John Barrus

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 03:22:58 pm    Post subject:

Theoretically, I guess, but there would probably need to be some major modifications to the code.
Well I got the roms. They are in .bin format. What kind of emu plays those?
james

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 04:27:25 pm    Post subject:

john,whats your email,i dont have permission to send a file,even though im a moderator Neutral

also admiral Very Happy can u help with the 8 way scrolling engine,i have a 4 way scrolling engine and we are going to modify it to an 8 way...
if u want to help i need your email,as well
John Barrus

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 04:41:57 pm    Post subject:

johnnycakes@hotmail.com
thanks
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 05:01:10 pm    Post subject:

ya, wouldnt it work? i think so! i think that 16x16 would look fine... just peachy Wink
John Barrus

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 06:41:51 pm    Post subject:

16x16 for the background or the characters? I think it would be too big for the background (only 4x6 tile-wise). We could get more detail and more tile combinations if we used 8x8.

As for 16x16 for characters, I don't know. I'd be in favor of a smaller sprite. By the way, how is Cyan doing with the graphics?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 8 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement