This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 07:21:20 pm    Post subject:

----------------------------------

Well Ive decided to abolish the idea of zelda like files where the person can create a new file and it will show the persons percentage. I finished it the other day but I felt it took away the arcade feel of the game. But now that its mid july Imma have to work my but off to program an effiecient final boss. But I should be able to get it done easily Very Happy

Add Difficulty?

Ok, I could EASILY EASILY OMFG EASILY!!! add difficulty to contra. Meaning the person could select easy-hard. Now what this would do is change the intelligence of the enemies, however at the same time, decrease the speed of the game a hair. So If the person wants more of a challenge (which is unlikely since its hard as a right now) then they can select hard. Im not sure though, because me and andrew can stand using input( . So It would require its own menu. What ya think?

Estimated mem addition=110

-----------------------------------
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jul 2004 02:41:52 am    Post subject:

I think it's a good idea

and the 110, is that in bits/bytes/kilobytes?
Madskillz

Posted: 16 Jul 2004 01:24:15 pm    Post subject:

It would be a nice little feature...Not a big addition to the memory your using up... just 110 bytes. Laughing
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Jul 2004 03:11:33 pm    Post subject:

I'd say add it. If I beat a game on one difficulty level and I liked it, I'd want to go through and see if I could beat it on a harder level. But that's just me...
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jul 2004 07:07:43 pm    Post subject:

OK then, Awesome !!

Thanks for your input. It will actually take up less then 110 bytes now because I did something really cool. I realized that I had 3 menus that all had 4 options. (well I would have 3 if I made a slot menu and a difficutly menu). So I modified one menu to work for all 3. It just depends on the value of one variable to decide where to take you and which options to display. Its mad awesome because the saving/loading slot menu is exactly the same loop and it even stays the same when you are saving and loading from the ingame menu. So basically I made a whole nother menu and added like 50 bytes. So I could do the same for the difficulty. Just add some options and use the same menu code Very Happy YAYAYAYA

Your right, it would add alot to the game and not harm the mem hardly at all. Thanks guys ill probably post an animated screenshot and some still shots sometime soon so keep an eye out :D

EDIT: hmmmmmmm yup I alrdy finished adding difficulty to Contra. But Im still unsure to make hard really hard or just a bit harder Very Happy Oh well Ill figure it out. But I added like virtually nothing to the game so evberythings cool.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jul 2004 11:15:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 18 Jul 2004 11:28:58 am    Post subject:

Sweet man! You said it didn't even take up alot either. Yes! Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jul 2004 12:17:27 pm    Post subject:

What about the speed? How was this influenced?
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Jul 2004 01:19:35 pm    Post subject:

The speed did not change at all for medium and easy. But hard is a little noticeable. What happens is that since its on hard, it has to check the NME subroutine more often. Meaning that when you move it will have more little pauses in between your movements. It is not much of a change but since I play it alot, I can easily notice it. Makes moving anf jumping a little bit more difficult, but hey its hard Very Happy Overall I think it is worth it. medium and easy run great and match the difficulty. Hard runs great to, but not as well, but it really is harder. 1 rocket launcher dude shot me 3 times, and Im the master at that game lol.

Here is some screenshots of the menu navigation that I posted on greenfire. (sorry if they are crappy)

I recently annialted almost 100 bytes from my program by using ans techniques. I optimized the crap outta it :)

The slot menus and difficulty added around 75 bytes. But after that the contra program was 5060 bytes. But then I did some optimization and reduced it to 4981 bytes. The total program mem consuption incluing all game programs is 8018 bytes. But that will probably go down 2 !!

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jul 2004 01:20:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jul 2004 01:31:42 pm    Post subject:

[randomadvice/note/stuff/idea]
When it's completely done, print out the entire source code, sit down and take notes on what could be done in a different, faster/more efficient way. Don't be afraid that this might mean rewriting your entire engine, you don't have to, but it's nice to double check how optimized everything is and it's good training for the mind.

So don't just focus on the removing of " and using ans and optimisations like that, they can only get you so far.
[/randomadvice/note/stuff/idea]
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2004 10:17:01 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I know arcane. My optimization usually goes past just altering ans and " placements. I do in-fact look at the code to see if its the best way to do it and I try my best to think outside the box. But thanks for the advice. It always helps Very Happy
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement