This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 29 May 2004 12:45:42 am    Post subject:

Keith Pierce made a pretty ridiculous statement that we're not enough of a community, but after figuring out what he meant, I realized he actually had a point. Do we want to do something about this? Click here to view the topic.

Do we want to be more active as a community and do things like help out ticalc with making screenshots, creating tutorials and faqs for TI calcs, etc? It might be a stupid idea, but on the other hand it could be a way for us to make a mark on the TI community.

Tell me your thoughts.

-J
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 May 2004 01:57:28 am    Post subject:

Well the community is less helpful and respecful in general these days then it was when I got started, is some of this my fault? Probably. But I am not the only one to blame, that much is clear.

Jedd wrote:
Do we want to be more active as a community?
We should want to, otherwise why are we here?

Jedd wrote:
Do we want to do things like help out ticalc with making screenshots?
This should interest some, and they (ticalc.org) certainly could use help making their archives higher quality.

Jedd wrote:
Do we want to do things like creating tutorials and faqs for TI calcs, etc?
I certainly hope so, as there will be a place for such stuff on Our (Unitedti.org's website) once I get done with it.

So now the questions are:

Who is willing to be a part of the community and not a spectator?
Who is willing to help with Screenshots?
Who is willing to help with creating Tutorials?
Who is willing to help with creating FAQ's?

You'll find most of the individuals that have made names for themselves did so because they were not too busy doing their own thing, but because they got involved with other members of the community, got involved with projects, and made things better for everyone.

I'm not the best example of getting involved, but there is only so much I can do right now with my other commitments, and I am working on making something to help you the members do the above if you're willing.

If we are not here to help, and make things better, then why are we here?

--AlienCC
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 May 2004 02:03:22 am    Post subject:

i can help with the faq's or tutorial for this site.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 May 2004 04:39:30 am    Post subject:

Tutorial and game in progress, I have only two more examns to go and then it's vacation time.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 May 2004 10:20:49 am    Post subject:

I think helping out in the Community as a whole would be a good thing. If we, as UnitedTI, helped ticalc.org out with their screen shots I'm sure that'd attract a few more individuals here. We already have Ray Kremer visiting, but what about Kevin Kofler or Patrick Davidson? Do they even know we exist?

Let's help out around the place.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 29 May 2004 11:23:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So now the questions are:

Who is willing to be a part of the community and not a spectator?
Who is willing to help with Screenshots?
Who is willing to help with creating Tutorials?
Who is willing to help with creating FAQ's?

I agree, we should do some more stuff to make everyone part of our community. I have one addition however. I think it would be best if all of the members here at UTI agreed that there are no stupid questions. Ok ok that might be pushing it, but I still think we should treat everyone, especially newcomers, like part of the group. Even if someone asks how you can graph something on calc, or some stupid question like that, we should do everything we can to help them out. That's probably our biggest weakness here. So from here on out, rtfm is not an answer. Sorry guys. ;)

As for the other things that AlienCC suggested, I can't help with screenshots since I have a Mac. Though I can help with both tutorials and FAQ's.

School is almost over so I should have a lot more time for this kind of stuff in 2 weeks.

-J
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 May 2004 11:56:36 am    Post subject:

Telling where to find something in the manual is helping, though.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 29 May 2004 11:58:20 am    Post subject:

True, but rtfm is just rude, not helpful.

-J
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 May 2004 12:03:33 pm    Post subject:

Agreed.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 29 May 2004 01:17:07 pm    Post subject:

Well I was under the impression they wanted animated screenshots for all these games, but now I see that they just have to be screenshots, which is possible on my Mac. So I guess I'll help out then. :D

-J
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 May 2004 01:36:10 pm    Post subject:

Well then, let's have our staff contact ticalc.org's staff and have some joint thing going with the screen shots. That is, if everyone agrees to help or something...
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 29 May 2004 02:11:34 pm    Post subject:

I've already talked with Morgan and he has given me a section of ticalc.org to make screenshots for. So you guys could either sign up as a group here and have 1 person email Morgan, or ask him individually. My suggestion is that we get the basic idea as to how many people from UTI are going to make screenshots, and then have someone email Morgan so he can assign a large portion of the ticalc archives to UTI as a whole. That way we can work together on our own section of the archives. Anyone else like this idea? Also, please say something if you want to help out, and I'll go make another post in the other thread.

-J
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 May 2004 02:26:23 pm    Post subject:

I like it. Having one person contact Morgan while others make screen shots simplifies things a lot, in my opinion.

Edit: Since you're already in contact with Morgan, why not just have you be the "representative" for UTI? (If this actually works.)

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2004 02:28:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 May 2004 02:41:10 pm    Post subject:

I already started screen shotting. but through obsedian!
Bluefire

Posted: 29 May 2004 06:38:37 pm    Post subject:

yah, i already started screenshoting joint effort! everyone interested just post ur email and what calcs u can do in my thread and ill email u all u need to know and assign you a certain directory or directory area, since obsidian programming is already partnered with UTI, the ticalc.org/Obsidian Programming project automatically is open to all uti members, so rather than have two confusing joint efforts, lets keep it to one! Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2004 06:40:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 29 May 2004 09:07:24 pm    Post subject:

well... I can help when I'm arround. Of course, actually doing something might be motivation to be arround more... I'll have some problems until about a week and a half from now(finals), and then after about another 2 weeks I'll be gone for 2 weeks(boy scouts... backpacking in philmont), after which I be back on weekends and random weeks... so now is not the best time to try to push for this as far as getting me involved... then again, it greatly increases the chances that I'll be here at the end of august, which is when the effort would best coincide with my schedule... so as long as this stays a priority that long, I'll be here to help out with virtually anything when that time rolls arround

Practically every forum has a golden age, followed by gradual decline in quality. In this case, that period was relatively short because each individual group involved in the merger had already had one. However, this is the first forum where I have seen people even try to do something coordinated about it other than reminisce. I'm taking that as a good sign about it's future. After all, if we can get a solid force behind it a second time, we have a good chance of retaining more members, and even if it goes back into decline, we'll still have a good chance of being able to do it yet again. Usually by the time someone would even think to try to do something like this, there's not even enough interest to get anything done.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 May 2004 04:41:05 am    Post subject:

Actually, it's usually more like a sinusiode, good, bad, good, bad, etc.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 30 May 2004 10:58:10 am    Post subject:

Bluefire wrote:
yah, i already started screenshoting joint effort! everyone interested just post ur email and what calcs u can do in my thread and ill email u all u need to know and assign you a certain directory or directory area, since obsidian programming is already partnered with UTI, the ticalc.org/Obsidian Programming project automatically is open to all uti members, so rather than have two confusing joint efforts, lets keep it to one! Laughing

Well then how about you just take the people from my post and include them in your joint effort? There's only one response so far, but just in case there are others.

I would act as a "representative" for UTI but it's even better if we can get both UTI and Obsidian on the same team for this one.

-J
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 May 2004 11:41:36 am    Post subject:

It would also help if the staff had a more active/interacting leadership/management role, they're not just there to keep the forum online, right?
Bluefire

Posted: 30 May 2004 11:49:40 am    Post subject:

ok, well, all i need is everyone from ur post to email me at: I_LIKE_BIG_CHEESE@msn.com and i will forward you your assignment and all the info you need!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement