This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 May 2004 11:35:09 pm    Post subject:

With David leaving, who's picking up on the web site? Was it already decided and I missed it, or what...? Confused
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 May 2004 02:29:44 am    Post subject:

Going forward I will be working on the development of the main page, with similar interest in mind to what I believe David had envisioned. Don't expect me to finish this overnight as I don't have any of the work he had finished (just his ideas), so I am starting from next to nothing here.

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 28 May 2004 02:30:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 May 2004 09:16:26 am    Post subject:

Next to nothing being a working and very diverse perl website engine?

Last edited by Guest on 28 May 2004 09:16:51 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 May 2004 02:57:42 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Next to nothing being a working and very diverse perl website engine?

Not Exactly...I'm pretty much rewriting the entire thing from the inside out, so it will be almost like new code when I'm done, with a lot more functionality. Thats beside the point, in getting it where it needs to be is much the same as starting from nothing. Especially right now where the authentication is busted.

--AlienCC
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 01:29:16 am    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
Especially right now where the authentication is busted.

This is no longer busted, instead its improved, and backwards compatible with the previous version. Newer accounts will of course have a better encryption scheme for the passwords.

I'm thinking of writing something to convert the old passwords over to the new format, but the conversion can only be done when someone punches in the correct password, so it would have to take place upon sucessful login. The old password format is more secure then most websites use, but nowhere near as secure as the new method.

Thoughts anyone?

--AlienCC
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 09:43:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm thinking of writing something to convert the old passwords over to the new format, but the conversion can only be done when someone punches in the correct password, so it would have to take place upon sucessful login. The old password format is more secure then most websites use, but nowhere near as secure as the new method.

So you would be able to do the conversion of the old passwords, but a correct login would have to occur to make it work? (Did I follow that right? Confused )

Quote:
Thoughts anyone?

I think that if you can get it to work, go for it. Better security is always a nice thing.

Thanks, by the way.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 11:06:03 am    Post subject:

Ya! 3 cheers for AlienCC!

I think that idea for converting the pwords is a great one! It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do either... Would it be?
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 01:24:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing I missed something in the time I was away from UTI. What happened to David now?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 02:26:52 pm    Post subject:

He left to focus more on other things in his life:

http://forums.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=1717
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jun 2004 01:52:44 pm    Post subject:

'twas a sad time...

Hows that conversion thing coming AlienCC?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jun 2004 01:52:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jun 2004 02:23:08 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
Hows that conversion thing coming AlienCC?

Just a matter of adding in a simple if statement to the login check, then based on that, either generating a new password and updating the database, or proceeding on like normal. I will get to it eventually, been busy adding other stuff the last few hours (sleep, who needs that?)

For those interested in seeing what my development environment has been looking like the last few days, and a small peak at some of the code Wink
I have a screenshot up here.

Whats running?
Linux Kernel 2.6.3
Apache 2.0.48
Mysql 4.0.18
Perl 5.8.3
Gnome 2.4.1 (desktop environment)
GKrellm 2.1.25 (system monitoring tool)
GAIM 0.75 (for IM via aim, icq, yahoo, msn, etc.)
Xmms 1.2.9 (for my music pleasure)
Xterm * 5 (with transparent background)
Mozilla 1.6 (webbrowsing pleasure)

--AlienCC
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 11:23:50 pm    Post subject:

Just an update, I just finished up a contract job in PHP that took me 2 weeks, and I'll be resuming work on the webpage now.

--AlienCC
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 26 Jun 2004 12:33:15 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy !YAY! Very Happy w00t! Very Happy Several other words of happiness Very Happy
MissingIntellect

Posted: 27 Jun 2004 11:38:24 pm    Post subject:

PHP Evil or Very Mad
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Jun 2004 12:42:39 am    Post subject:

I am coding the UTI website in perl right now, but may release a php version in the future.

--AlienCC
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Jun 2004 02:42:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm looking at a possible integration between the main website and forum authentication, any helpful links anyone knows about to (how the authentication works for IPB) would be appreciated.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement