This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2004 03:15:26 pm    Post subject:

OK guys, contra has been going so good that its almost time for level production, and me and my dad were talking and he said that if I made a complete level editor, where you could make an entire level, by editing each frame and saving the data into a list, then it would make the game much more apealing. The editor I have made is a frame editor, it is not a complete editor, its just a tool that I use to help myself make the levels faster. Now I could make a complete level editor for it that would generate all the data of a level for you, you would be able to save and load existing frames, and be able to decide which frame to start on. Now would be a very difficult project for me to do and It would take me a while to make, so the question is:

Should I hold the release of Contra, and make a full user friendly level editor, that would be released with contra? or should I release Contra then release the level editor? (I think if I release it after it will cause the original hype of Contra to die down)

What ya think?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 04:08:28 pm    Post subject:

If you release them at the same time it'll be a brief hype and die out quickly, if you release it later fans will have something to look forward to and you'll stretch the hype over a longer period of time.

You'll also be able to implement user feedback from users that have played the game into the level editor.

If you don't want the hype to die down at all you release patches, new maps, or other custom content. Just keep in mind not to lsiten to all users and try to please them all, this is impossible and will make you screw up.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 04:33:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd wait with the level editor.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 May 2004 04:43:42 pm    Post subject:

I would wait. But it really depends on what you want.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 15 May 2004 09:02:11 pm    Post subject:

Eh, I don't think you should include the level editor yet. One because I want Contra ASAP, and two because you would get a million emails a day saying someone made a really cool new level and you should include it in the final version. But you might want that...I dunno. In the end it's up to you.

-J
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement