This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
[internet name]

Posted: 15 May 2004 12:03:17 am    Post subject:

I know it has been done before, but I personally would like an operating system (app) for the 83 plus that is really good. So I am making my own. I have been working on it for over half of a year, but I finally decided that I need some help. I didn't post this sooner just because I didn't want to be pestered by other people like the poor Nimbus developers have.
The features so far include customizable desktop icons, runs basic programs, decent start menu, and windows. There are a lot more than that right now, but I am just naming a few. The last option is a new one. I am crazy enough to make the program run windows programs. It can handle up to 4 programs at a time and they run in little windows just like on the computer. These can be moved around, minimized, and (of course) closed. Right now, everything can be displayed graphically, but the program support hasn't been made yet. When I am done with that, it would be nice to get people to help me make programs for the windows. That way the feature would be really cool. I'd provide a screen shot, but I don't know how to upload an image from my computer.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 15 May 2004 01:06:57 am    Post subject:

This sounds like a great idea, but I don't know if you will get enough programs to work in your windows. I mean, very few people make games or programs that don't use the whole screen, and minimizing them would obviously take away from the quality.

Also, have you actually programmed all of the things you have listed above? If so, then you managed to do a lot on your own. 4 programs at once! Great job dude.

As for uploading an image, first you need a place to upload it, so go get a cheap site like Geocities or something. Then you can link to the image from here. Or just send it to me (email or Aim) and I'll upload it for you.

Oh and welcome to UTI. :D

-J

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2004 01:07:30 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 01:21:16 pm    Post subject:

A good way to run 4 programs at a time would be to switch screens from one program to another, pausing the ones that aren't running, and each program could then use the full screen. The big problem would be with all programs using one area of saferam.
[internet name]

Posted: 15 May 2004 01:32:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the welcoming and help with the image. I will get that picture up later.

The operating system already has a lot of features and is set up for many more potential ones that I haven't programmed yet. When I said that it could handle 4 programs at a time, I meant ones that are made for the windows. I already have a system for doing this (although I haven't programmed that yet) and it will not be complicated. Basically, only one program would run at a time, and when you click in another window, the os will switch programs.

You are right in saying that these programs will not be the best graphically, but they have different features. First of all, they run mostly by mouse clicks. This means that they will have buttons and an interface like real programs and the OS is set up to make that easier than it sounds. Another advantage of having them in windows is that you can compare the graphics. For example, while reading text from one window, you could be typing in another. Also, these programs will probably be used more for utility purposes than top-of-the-line games. Finally, it just looks cool to have a real windows os on the calc Smile
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 02:26:25 pm    Post subject:

Will it distribute CPU time between programs similar to how windows does this?
[internet name]

Posted: 15 May 2004 03:14:34 pm    Post subject:

Distributing cpu time is an interesting idea. I thought about making that a long time ago and decided that it wouldn't work. Now that I know more about the OS (I have developed it more) I am begenning to think it would be possible. My plan is this:

The mouse would be an interrupt, and every 10 or so interrupts, I would save the program data and registers and switch to another program. One problem I have is how would I make such an interrupt, and be able to save all of the registers including the CP register, so I can start where it left off? If you guys could help me with that, That would be great.

Also, another problem I've encountered is running basic programs. I have installed an error handler and appearantly done everything correctly (for running basic programs that is). When I test it, it works fine, but if the basic program has prompt, or input, then I get an error undefined (despite my error handler that WORKS!). This is driving me crazy! Can anybody help me fix this?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 May 2004 04:46:05 pm    Post subject:

I said it in robertak's thread, I will say it here :
This is not a freaking OS! It is called a *SHELL*. S-H-E-L-L...
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 04:54:31 pm    Post subject:

About input and prompt, did you re-program the code for all the Basic functions? Mirage seems to have been buggy with those also.

Again, programs need to use some saferam location. Either each program gets a pointer to saferam (ix for instance) when it starts running, and the shell allocates safe ram for the programs, or the programs risk overwriting each other's data.

You could store the registers in ram of course, about the pc/cp (which it it?) register I have an idea. Do interrupts push that register so it's "popped" with reti, or does something else happen? Because then you would have to copy the stack anyway, and that register would get copied too.
[internet name]

Posted: 15 May 2004 05:11:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It is called a *SHELL*. S-H-E-L-L...

O.K. Sorry. I'll call it a shell. Also about the PC (you were right) register and stack, I will just copy the stack, the registers, and the program data at 9d95h and save it. I can't think of anything else I will need to copy. The graphic part (picture in window) is already taken care of. Can anybody help me with my other problem? The one with the basic error. How can I fix that?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 05:17:34 pm    Post subject:

Are you using the OS's basic parser, or your own?
[internet name]

Posted: 15 May 2004 06:17:47 pm    Post subject:

I am using the tios parser. It is just like the examples I've seen everywhere. Should I post the code?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2004 06:20:29 pm    Post subject:

Does Goto work?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 15 May 2004 08:58:19 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
I said it in robertak's thread, I will say it here :
This is not a freaking OS!  It is called a *SHELL*.  S-H-E-L-L...

MirageOS...? DragonOS...?

I don't think it really matters. Call it whatever you want.

-J
[internet name]

Posted: 15 May 2004 11:29:21 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Goto works. It seems that any refrence to a variable creates the problem. Input tries to stor a number in a variable. The funny thing is that it works when the tios runs it and it doesn't even use my error handler; it uses its own.
Below is a link to a website I just started. It has a zip file with the current application in it. It shouldn't harm your calc; give it a test. Get an idea of what we are talking about.
This shell can barely run basic programs, so it isn't something to spread to other friends. (Please don't do that until the final version comes out) I am only prividing you this so you can see all of the options yourself. Besides the basic program handler, other USEFUL things include password protection, [mem] key block, and lowercase enabling/disableing.

download CompOS.8xk
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 May 2004 03:46:54 am    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
MirageOS...?  DragonOS...?

I don't think it really matters.  Call it whatever you want.

-J

DragonOS will actually be an OS, not a shell.
[internet name]

Posted: 16 May 2004 07:37:44 am    Post subject:

Did anyone try out the shell? What do you think?
robertak

Posted: 16 May 2004 12:30:53 pm    Post subject:

honestly, i think it is great!!! if you continue modifying it, it will become even better!!! Very Happy
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 May 2004 12:40:37 pm    Post subject:

Everyone seems to be writing a shell these days...
robertak

Posted: 16 May 2004 12:55:14 pm    Post subject:

lol Laughing
[internet name]

Posted: 16 May 2004 06:25:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the compliment, robertak. It has taken a lot of work. Today, i finally got the os to run compiled/uncompiled asm programs. I also tried to get it to run ion, but when I tested it on an ion program, my ram cleared. Wacko I need help getting the ion thing to work. Also, if I can get the libraries, I will try to get the shell to run Mirage programs as well. Can anybody help me with these. I can post the code if you want.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement