This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Blackwolf189

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 02:13:39 pm    Post subject:

Is there a way to just detach a ram chip from another source say a super nintendo and install it onto the calculators mother board. will it automatically regonize it or would i need to reprogram something?
Blackwolf189

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 02:17:12 pm    Post subject:

sorry i dont know how to dit a post yet. I could also use my original playstation. another option might be installing these things into a small portable box that would connect to the calculators outgoing port.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 03:44:24 pm    Post subject:

To edit a post click the button. And I doubt you could do this because even if those programs were written in z80 you would need to reprogram all the system routines they use. I don't know how you would try to do this but it's easier to just get games from ticalc.org.
Blackwolf189

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 06:41:11 pm    Post subject:

no i want to use the other chips to increase memory on my calculator. i dont want any of the programs saved on the chip.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 06:54:34 pm    Post subject:

Here's a random idea:

1) Build the external ram storage device thing you connect to the 2.5mm stereo port of the calc. (going to have to work out a schematic that makes sure the 3 signals from the calc eventually send the correct signals to the correct places)
2) Write a little assembly program that can move, copy, delete etc programs and files from your calc's ram to the external ram device and/or back.
3) Enjoy.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2004 06:55:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 08:52:23 pm    Post subject:

Try this.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 10:53:59 pm    Post subject:

To add RAM requires that you overhaul the circuitboard and extend the OS's addressing scheme (in the ROM) to cover 16+ bit addressing. It's almost like building the calc from the ground up. The only way around this would be to track down a pin-compatible RAM device that operate in existing environment (same load requirements, etc).

Most expansion projects like the Sami design and the E.D. Project get around this by using an "off-site" chip to work like an archive. The basic idea to use a microcontroller like a PIC, AVR, or 8051 to trick your calculator into thinking it's talking to another calc. When you run out of RAM, you just make a backup file and download it to the 'archive.' Note that this doesn't affect RAM or ROM, it just acts like an extra storage medium--like a floppy disk or a flash drive.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 08:51:05 am    Post subject:

Why would you not have enough memory in the first place?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 01:36:39 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Try this.

actually, that link will bring up a nice ugly blah blah blah page.

here would be better Laughing
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 03:07:17 pm    Post subject:

What can I say? I like ticalc.org's resources. Laughing
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 03:41:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it would be practical to use this for RAM, though. It would certainly take a lot of time to read/write to this external memory.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 04:11:08 pm    Post subject:

The external mem doesn't necessarily have to be a RAM. It could also be a Flash ROM or an EEPROM if you wanted it that way. This could mean that you could remove the batteries and still save progs and backups. It's also useful for BASIC developers who want to backup their work in case their calc gets "messed with" at school. Plus with the size of todays Flash chips, it would be possible to store thousands of a vars. Saving would just be a matter of hitting [2nd] [link] [send/recv] and waiting 2 or 3 seconds.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2004 02:54:44 am    Post subject:

what if just take a 48 MB RAM chip from an old computer, and use that to build an external memory. Do you think it could work? It sure is enough memory for all of my games!
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Apr 2004 07:38:08 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
what if just take a 48 MB RAM chip from an old computer, and use that to build an external memory. Do you think it could work? It sure is enough memory for all of my games!

Or how about this?
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Apr 2004 07:51:07 pm    Post subject:

even just 5 megs (5,242,880 bytes) would be plenty of memory for most people, but im sure it would be possible...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2004 08:17:10 pm    Post subject:

It's possible. There really is no wrong way to do it. (Unless of course you brake something). The E.D.2 project will use a 4Mbit (512,000) bytes Flash ROM to get x18 the storage space. 'Just about enough to store any game you'd want and then some. Once you figure out the upload/download problem, there's no upper limit on how much you can store.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 14 Apr 2004 06:14:21 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
here would be better Laughing

Connect a PlayStation memory card to a PC? The concept is the same but all the schematics and software on the site would have to be completely redone to work with a calculator.
leofox wrote:

Flash ROM is better. RAM must be continually powered.
Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Or how about this?

Haven't seen that one before. Thanks for linking it.
Blackwolf189

Posted: 15 Apr 2004 10:49:29 pm    Post subject:

my friend and i are going to use the flash rom from the playstation 1 Performance Mega Memory Card and/or the Performance Memory Card for N64. i am still researching the capacity of their chips. i want to know where i can learn to interface with these memory cards. I know everyone uses a pic microcontroller and i want to know y. is the pic better than others, or is it just optimized for this. i thank people for posting the links to sites already building things like this, but i came up with the idea before i saw any of those links and i would like to do research to build one myself instead of copy anothers schematics, although by looking at their process i can learn a lot, i want to put my own touch on things and know exactly what i am doing.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Apr 2004 01:44:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Haven't seen that one before. Thanks for linking it.

No problem. I saw it at CalcGames.org a while ago, and when memory expansion was brought up I figured why not share it... Laughing
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2004 10:54:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
my friend and i are going to use the flash rom from the playstation 1 Performance Mega Memory Card and/or the Performance Memory Card for N64. i am still researching the capacity of their chips. i want to know where i can learn to interface with these memory cards. I know everyone uses a pic microcontroller and i want to know y. is the pic better than others, or is it just optimized for this. i thank people for posting the links to sites already building things like this, but i came up with the idea before i saw any of those links and i would like to do research to build one myself instead of copy anothers schematics, although by looking at their process i can learn a lot, i want to put my own touch on things and know exactly what i am doing.

That's a tough one. I tried a few Google searches for things like "psx memory card protocol" and "psx memory card format" but couldn't come up with anything concrete. You could check with groups like electro-tech-online or AVR freaks and see if someone's done a similar project.

I'm partial to AVRs myself, but PICs have a reputation for beinging powerful (up to 20MHz) and very flexible devices (though I should say AVR instructions use fewer clock cycles Razz ). It's also a good "gateway"/intro controller because its cheap and it can be programmed in C or ASM, using free software. Check them out a www.microchip.com.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement