This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Morgan

Posted: 05 Mar 2004 06:33:27 am    Post subject:

If ever you hav complained about too many quadratic solving programs or guess the number programs ove at ticalc.org NOW IS THE TIME TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINION!!!

We are looking over many methods of bringing the quality of the archives back up! Check out the article and please express your opinion. I know the best thing in the world everyone loves doing is complaining about ticalc.org, well now is your time to help us figure out how we are going to fix it.

Someting will be done, i'm not adding any new files until something is done, because it definately needs it. Lucky for everyone the rest of the staff is willing to do something about it.

Please also vote? on the survey.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2004 04:24:55 pm    Post subject:

"[screeners could] lower the signal-to-noise ratio of our archives"

A perfect description! Someone sumed it up pretty well when they said the good BASIC games were being overlooked because of all the trash and copycat progs. It might be too much to ask, but I like the idea of a rating system. Or better yet, more file reviews and maybe a "1 to 10" review scoring standard.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2004 05:45:52 pm    Post subject:

Just seperating all the (drugwar) clones from original games would improve it a lot.

Make a three level originality system, each with it's own folder of games...

#1 The ideas behind these games have never been seen before. Example: ???
#2 Good/rare reworks of pc/console games. Example: Sonic.
#3 Overdone clones of calc/pc/console games. Example: Drug/Beerwars.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Mar 2004 05:46:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Mar 2004 05:57:20 pm    Post subject:

i like the complex folder system idea.

i also like the idea of a rating system.

last, but not least Razz, i like the idea of screening programs as uploaded. all would be very helpful :lol:

(oh, and if someone is sad because their quadratic formula program got a low rating, then it is their own fault for uploading it Laughing)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2004 05:59:57 pm    Post subject:

Well, you could combine all three systems, first screen them so you know in which folder to set them and give them an initial rate value, then have the rating system decide where in the folder it should be (highest rating at the top of course).
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 05 Mar 2004 08:13:01 pm    Post subject:

If the highest rating is always at the top, you end up with a situation similar to google's problem: you alienate the new programs that haven't had a chance to be tried out yet and therefore are unrated, which translates into a rating of zero, causing it to plummet directly to the bottom of the list. My solution to that: create a folder within the catagory folder for "New Releases". That way, the new programs get a chance to be tried out without being ignored.

And for the rating system, a rating of 1 to 10 based on how much the user liked the program is a mistake. This form of a review is almost always going to be biased. The game should be scored on a variety of different criterion, all added together to form the final score. This final score, along with the individual scores that added together to form it, should be what is displayed to the user when viewing program details. When viewing the list list of all the programs in the selected directory, only the final score should be shown. Also on the details page should be a review posted by a professional reviewer, plus a link to user reviews. The professional reviewer is the one who scores the program based on the system I described above, while the 1 to 10 favoritism review system is what would be used for the user reviews. If you want to implement a less complex version of the system above for the user reviews, that would be good too. Just don't overwhelm them with too much information.

-JAC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Mar 2004 06:28:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the highest rating is always at the top, you end up with a situation similar to google's problem: you alienate the new programs that haven't had a chance to be tried out yet and therefore are unrated, which translates into a rating of zero, causing it to plummet directly to the bottom of the list.
I said "first screen them so you know in which folder to set them and give them an initial rate value" so the better a program is the higher it starts out on the list.
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 08:48:38 am    Post subject:

I think Ticalc.org is going alittle over board! I think the best thing for them to do is go by quality of a program! How usefeul a program may be! No Quantity!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 12:29:01 pm    Post subject:

That's the whole purpose of a rating system.
MaxVT103

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 01:28:57 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the folder system is a great idea, but also what needs to be done is to actualy get rid of the programs that don't work, and by that I mean don't give the correct output. And then put all the games and stuff that don't get downloaded as much into a past archive that can be accessed instead of having like 800,000,000 basic games.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 01:37:45 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like their specifically targeting the worst of progs (like the bottom 1%). Since we run the risk of alienating the all-new releases maybe they could use a more ridgid 3-star rating system. That way more programs would share the same rating level, and only the worst of the heap would fall under the 1-star category. Additionally, maybe the unrated progs could get a *new* designator to hold user interest.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Mar 2004 01:38:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Mar 2004 12:39:24 pm    Post subject:

It looks like part of their new rating system is up today. Has anyone had a chance to try it yet?
X1011

Posted: 15 Mar 2004 05:56:23 pm    Post subject:

I rated a program...

Last edited by Guest on 15 Mar 2004 05:57:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Mar 2004 06:22:26 pm    Post subject:

heh, so did i :lol:

anyone done any reviews?

i have done 1 (for MV's Elements APP Very Happy)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Mar 2004 10:59:56 pm    Post subject:

I didn't know Average Joe's like us could submit reviews. How did you publish yours?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 04:46:56 pm    Post subject:

They had a whole big thing about Reviews!

You just go to the file, and underneath the (new) rating system, there is a place that says "Write a review" or something...
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 06:08:18 pm    Post subject:

ticalc.org probably didn't want to hire a reviews staff member, so they implemented the reviews system. That way, anyone who had an account to review a file.

I think it was a good idea.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Apr 2004 07:41:44 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone checked out the latest file rankings? For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, it looks like they're going with the weighted average method to rank progs on a grade+popularity scale. Some of the top-rated files are Desolate, MirageOS, and TIGCC; though I was disappointed to see Sonic Misadventure wasn't on the list (where's the justice?).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the new system. Plus it's good to see lower-profile titles finally get reviewed. What does eveyone else think of system so far?
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 May 2004 01:26:10 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm... A combination of rank+pop IS useful, BUT, there should be options. You could choose to sort the listings by Pop, Rank, or Pop+Rank. That way you get the results you're looking for.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Oct 2004 06:47:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, I guess mostly everyone knows by now, but they just added a color-coded system. So far it looks like the progs are sorted by rating and unrated progs are in alphabetical order. 'Nice setup if you ask me.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement