This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2004 05:54:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, I finally finished the first half of my TI-82hardware mod project. This half includes a power source expansion that gives the calculator 2 new sources of energy. With the current setup, the energy supply is estimated to be 300% greater for "Heavy Duty" batteries and 318% greater for Alkaline cells.

Current Features

Primary Power
This is a wall adapter supply. The adapter plug goes into the front of the box. A power switching relay isolates this circuit from the rest of the calc whenever external power is not present. The box can draw energy from virtually any 5.62mm (right size?) wall adapter (center-positive). The high current availbilty totally eliminates screen ficker. A yellow LED indicates when the calc is receiving external power.

Secondary Power
The Ti-82 now uses AA batteries for secondary power. The incresed current from these cells also decreases screen flicker, and seems to improve the calc's speed slightly. Since there's are 2 battery packs now, you can swap out one set of batteries without turning off the calc. This battery pack is bolted to the bottom of the calculator.

Auxillory Power
These are the normal AAA batteries.

Other Changes
A link port has been placed on the front of the box. The original 2.5mm link port was removed. A 3.5mm port has been added to supply power and data for external add-on circuits (reading light, IR link, etc).

Design Limitations
* Have to turn off calc before plugging/unplugging the adapter (to avoid an auto-reset)
* The battery packs aren't fully isolated (energy waste)
* The voltage drop across the circuit makes the batteries seem "deader" than they really are.

Future plans

The final half of this project will include an external 512KB Flash ROM. The ROM is partitioned into 9 "pages" that can hold variables, group vars, or backup files. The memory pages are LED color coded (green-green, green-orange, green-red, orange-green, etc).
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2004 07:16:08 pm    Post subject:

Can you post a picture?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2004 09:57:13 pm    Post subject:

I'll post them as soon as I can get my hands on a digital camara. It looks very "suped up." Laughing Does Kinkos have a photography section?
jtchange

Posted: 23 Feb 2004 03:37:23 pm    Post subject:

sounds very interesting. Maybe someone who has the time could even 'port' it or create it off of ur idea for the ti83 series. that would be awesome since i own a ti83 Razz
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Feb 2004 04:39:29 pm    Post subject:

What would really be cool is a color screen. Maybe a second, transparent screen that could be accessed only by an assembly out instruction?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 12:42:52 am    Post subject:

Well, I finally tested it at school today. I had it plugged into the wall for almost 3 hours with no smoke, toxic fumes, or explosions. That passes my test! Very Happy I had some trouble with "battery mode" due to a loose/dead battery, but I guess that's a minor problem. Right now the estimated battery life is 25 hours, 55 minutes. Sweet! I'm going to start rounding up the plans to publish them at ticalc. Pictures will come as soon as I can find a camara...
X1011

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 08:37:50 pm    Post subject:

How would you make a "flash ROM" for the 82, i thought it didn't support that.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Feb 2004 08:38:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 10:13:11 pm    Post subject:

It's more of an external archive, as I like to call it. The basic idea is to send backup files and vars to the external ROM though the link. It's just like transfering stuff to another calc, really. I'm limiting the ROM size to 9 pages to simplify the interface (1 button and 2 LEDs). The tricky part will be "fooling" the TI-82 into sending/receiving files. But it's been done before. Cool

I'm beginning to install my video camara drivers. Pics are coming very soon.
NextPerception

Posted: 02 Mar 2004 05:13:35 pm    Post subject:

This sounds like a pretty cool project you have going.
It sounds great for a person not worried about reducing the portability of the laptop.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Mar 2004 08:23:10 pm    Post subject:

**//Months Later\\**

Pictures??
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2004 08:47:06 pm    Post subject:

Ack! They're coming they're coming! I've been going back an forth with Tech support for the past few days trying to replace the camera drivers my roommate lost. They tried to send me the zip file tuesday, but the campus mail server stopped it! They sent it to my mom's email, so I'll probably have them posted saturday.

In other news, I'm going to order the Flash chip this weekend. Because of the chip size, I'll need to custom-etch a circuit board this time. I things go smoothly, the full project will get finished this May. Laughing
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 03:27:02 am    Post subject:

Okay. Here are the pictures of the current design. The picture quality is a bit grainy but it gets the point across. Note that because of the shadows in the room, both the black battery box and the gray Multi Expander box appear larger than normal.

This is the calculator in normal operation. From this angle, you can see the 5 multicolored power/data lines that enter the TI82 through the former link port. Also notice the 9v AC->DC adapter behind the calculator...

This is the calculator running off external power. Notice the power indicator LED is on now, and the power cable enters from the front of grey box...

DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 03:36:37 am    Post subject:

Here is the bottom of the Secondary power bank with the battery cover removed. With both battery packs running in parallel, even my cheap Dollar General-brand batteries deliver enough kick to keep the screen nice and dark..

The three modular ports. Going from left to right, you have the 3.5mm port (general-use +6v supply), wall adapter port (center-positive), and 2.5mm (calculator link). Future enhancements (IR link, LCD clock, etc) will plug into these modular sockets...

Bluefire

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 03:08:23 pm    Post subject:

sERIOUSLY, IF U CAN GET THAT TO WORK FOR THE TI 83 PLUS, ill pay money, ill send u my calc and say hook it up because that is AWESOME :lol:

Or at least let me buy a kit with full instructions from you!

Last edited by Guest on 08 Mar 2004 03:10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 06:35:44 pm    Post subject:

that rox dude Razz
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2004 10:13:14 pm    Post subject:

Well, its not quite fully optimized so I wouldn't feel right profiting from it yet. The parts it uses now are mostly "general-purpose" components, so they get the job done but there's still lots of inefficiency. But I'll start working on a "kit" tutorial for ticalc.org this week.
NextPerception

Posted: 10 Mar 2004 10:34:07 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of were the battery placment was
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2004 05:59:56 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
But I'll start working on a "kit" tutorial for ticalc.org this week.

Any progress on this yet?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2004 06:11:30 pm    Post subject:

It's getting there. I'm still trying to find the best components to use in the "battery mode" circuit. So far I've been using general-use parts. They work ~okay but they waste a little more power than I expected earlier.
Blackwolf189

Posted: 21 Apr 2004 12:13:38 am    Post subject:

i am very interested in learning to do things like this however i can not take an electronics class until i am a junior and i am currently a freshmen. are there any websites or books that u recommend for learning electronics online. i have already begun searching for myself. A post of tutorials would be good for newbies such as me.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2004 06:18:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement