This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 05:46:35 pm    Post subject:

hahahaha.

I entered Russia from the Mongolian border with eastern Siberia. It is a part of the world appropriately renowned for its cold. It is also home to the worlds oldest and deepest lake, Lake Baikal (photo below). It is one of the seven underwater wonders of the world and home to a strange and unique bio-system. It is more than a mile deep (1,639 metres) but used to be about five miles deep but there is now four miles of sediment. It holds twenty percent of the worlds fresh water and could apparently supply the worlds fresh water needs for forty years. I was going to do a dive there but the people at the dive centre decide to increase the price by one hundred and fifty percent.
Lucky him. If he really swam there he could've died of the pollution.

From the Irkutsk I got a train for a few days to Moscow. The journey was a good way to meet the locals and improve my Russian. The scenery was not very interesting as the country is quite flat and for days we passed through the Taiga, the worlds biggest forest. The trains was comfortable and it was a positive experience.
Don't know what kind of train he was traveling in, but certainly not a russian one.

Moscow is a vibrant city and despite the cold I enjoyed it. St. Basils (photo 1) which is the most recognised Moscow landmark
What about the Red Square?
was in the process of restoration. Red Square (photo 2) was pleasant but not fascinating. The Kremlin was interesting with some displays of phenomenal opulence. There are a number of churches within the complex, most with interesting spires (photo 3).
St. Petersburg, or Leningrad as it was known during Soviet times is a much more attractive city but does not have the lived in feel of Moscow.
Really? I think the homeless people out on the streets gave it a real nice, lived in feel.
It does have some nice views along the river (photo 1) and an interesting looking cathedral (photo 2). The church of the spilled blood
Some blood will spill if I find him for the oh-so-wonderful translation.
(photo 3) is a lot larger and in some ways more impressive than St. Basils. Some of the sites in St. Petersberg are not quite as aesthetically pleasing such as the huge ugly statue of Czar Peter the Great
What!?!?!? That is a great statue. Of course some are of the opinion Peter the Great was the Antichrist...
(photo 4) which art critics understandably tried to blow up. On Nevsky Prospect the main drag of St. Petersberg is a useful sign that dates back to the Second World War (photo 5). For those who don't know Russian it basically says "Citizens - When bombs are falling it is safer on this side of the street". It's the sort of useful public advice that should be posted around most town centres as you never know when it may be useful.
I hope no one that goes to Russia after this is going to get bombed. The sign actually says the opposite.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Jan 2004 05:47:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 12:24:48 am    Post subject:

interesting. wow. 2 people have conrasting opinions. this is so exciting. lets go blow up russia.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 05:03:33 am    Post subject:

My opinion is that it's interesting, funny in the way that robin's comments make it funny, and not funny in the way that that article isn't funny. But I don't want to vote "no, stop spamming" because I don't agree with that option.

So I'll just take it "No, but funny" relates to this topic and not the article.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement