This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
NextPerception

Posted: 02 Mar 2004 05:16:25 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
No radio?  That's just weird!

I like the calc-LAN idea.  Wasn't TI marketing a calculator network system for education a few years back?  Whatever happened to that project?

they are selling it for a lot of money. go check out the ti calculator store
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 05:07:56 pm    Post subject:

Guess this is abandoned.
patori

Posted: 24 Mar 2004 03:32:38 pm    Post subject:

yup. btw. nice avatar. yoh.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 01:59:02 am    Post subject:

I finally found the Sami encoder at a Radio Shack for $3.29. It's really cool and alot smaller than I expected. So far it works with my TV remote pretty well. You can even bounce the signal off walls and ceilings--so I'm guessing the calcs wouldn't even have to be in the same room if you're lucky. The Sami design looks like a winner, so I'll try that version first. Cool

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2004 07:12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 05:00:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Cancel that last post

That's just an expression. Do we have be so literal-minded here? ;)

[ONTOPIC]
Right now I'm compiling a bill of materials for the link. So far it looks like it'll cost between $10.00 and $15.00 (including the case). Maybe less if a cheaper decoder can be found.
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 10:24:34 am    Post subject:

what parts do I need to make iinfra-red links. i would like to make one to be able to read with my tv. I am in the process of making a remote for the type of tv i have but i need the links. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 03:09:53 pm    Post subject:

Instead of an infra-red cable, do what I did.... use cell phones! (not sound waves Very Happy )

I took this old set of two-way walkie talkies. But these walkies are different, once you're connected to someone, it's a two on two conversation, like a telephone kinda.... I got it at Radio Shack for like 20 bucks 3 years ago...

You see, on the side of the thing, they have a headset input where the calc-to-calc link fits perfectly!!! So, I connected them both and went about 10 feet away.... IT WORKED!! for a while at least... you have to be pointing to each other.

So you see, most cell phones or chordless phones have a headset input, so theoretically, you could call anyone up and say "plug in your calc" and I suppose it'd work... Now there's an idea, and I have both a cell and a headset phone, I'm gonna go try it.

::looking for calc::

argh... I let someone borrow my other calc Neutral . Someone, try this!

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2004 01:17:44 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 03:53:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what parts do I need to make iinfra-red links. i would like to make one to be able to read with my tv. I am in the process of making a remote for the type of tv i have but i need the links. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I got the Radio Shack [276-640] "IR receiver module." It filters out other lights and cuts out the 38kHz pulses so you don't have to build your own filter.

It looks like the Sami link can double as a link or a tv remote. It can also control vcrs, cd players, sat receivers, audio equipment, etc. Most tv brands either use the RC5(pulse position, aka "Manchester" encoding) or RECS80 (pulse width) format. There are other standards, but they're hardly ever used. Sami's programs can do both formats, plus a few others.

Radio/Phone Link:

Does anybody remember the name of that website that used to sell TI Phone/Radio links. I can't find it. (It was something like "Atomic Calc" or "Fusion Calc")
Ray Kremer

Posted: 03 Apr 2004 12:09:38 am    Post subject:

brazucs16 wrote:
Instead of an infra-red cable, do what I did.... use sound waves!

I took this old set of two-way walkie talkies.
You see, on the side of the thing, they have a headset input where the calc-to-calc link fits perfectly!!! So, I connected them both and went about 10 feet away.... IT WORKED!!

That's actually quite clever, though it has absolutely nothing to do with sound waves.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2004 01:04:48 am    Post subject:

Ray Kremer wrote:
brazucs16 wrote:
Instead of an infra-red cable, do what I did.... use sound waves!

I took this old set of two-way walkie talkies.
You see, on the side of the thing, they have a headset input where the calc-to-calc link fits perfectly!!! So, I connected them both and went about 10 feet away.... IT WORKED!!

That's actually quite clever, though it has absolutely nothing to do with sound waves.

Radio waves... whatever.
The good thing about this is that it's free (well, you call them in your free minutes) and that you could play with anyone...
But wouldn't the delay in the call mess it up a lil' bit?

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2004 01:16:32 am; edited 1 time in total
NextPerception

Posted: 03 Apr 2004 07:00:17 pm    Post subject:

were did you get these walkie talkies and what is the brand name of them?
Quote:
cancel that post
I took care of it

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2004 07:13:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Apr 2004 10:17:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
cancel that post

I took care of it

Not again!!! Neutral Mad

Anyway, I'm still in the process of programming one of my AVRs for TV code learning. It's about 40% done and I might have it ready in the morning. I'll let everyone know how it goes..

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2004 10:27:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackwolf189

Posted: 11 Apr 2004 12:02:44 am    Post subject:

i started thinking about this though i have absolutely no experience in electronics other than working with motors. but what i was thinking was have a small black square with a antennae sticking out of it where all the electronics would go. Then u just give 1 to someone and select send recieve and your on your way. however after reading the post i realize it wouldn't be so small. so my idea is to either have it molded to the bottom of the calc (i want to be able to detach it so i can transfer files to anyone wirelessly). wouldnt it be great if we could just call up TI and tell them to send us a calculator that was wider and deeper. then we could install anything we wanted 2.
Blackwolf189

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 08:34:21 am    Post subject:

what is the pic controller supposed to do? convert the output of the calc to infared format?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 01:46:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the PICs main job is take data from the 2 link lines and convert it to 1 IR signal. Also, the Sami version provides some sort of handshaking.

Also, I finished the TV code-learner but I'm having some power source problems where the AVR prevents the IR receiver from working properly. So far it works for Phillips (RC5) devices. I'll finish the rest of the hardware this summer probably.
Blackwolf189

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 06:05:28 pm    Post subject:

where do you go to learn how ti ouputs data and how to convert that to a infared signal.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 09:00:13 pm    Post subject:

Here's an excerpt from Alan Bailey's "Guide to TI-86 Ports."

Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
port 7 - Link Port
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Write -
    bits 2 & 4 - 1: makes red wire inactive
              0: makes red wire possibly active if other calc says so
    bits 3 & 5 - 1: makes white wire inactive
              0: makes white wire possibly active if other calc says so

Read -
    bit 3 - 1: white wire current stopped because this calc said so
            0: white wire possibly active
    bit 2 - 1: red wire current stopped because this calc said so
            0: red wire possibly active
    bit 1 - 1: white wire active
            0: white wire inactive
    bit 0 - 1: red wire active
            0: red wire inactive

Notes -
    This is the same as port 7 on the TI-85.  Basically, to make certain wires active,
    do the following:
    EX:                                          ;these are the values
        ld a,%11010100      ;White wire ON                $D4  ;you should use
        out (7),a
        ld a,%11000000      ;White wire ON, Red wire ON $C0
        out (7),a
        ld a,%11101000      ;Red wire ON                  $E8
        out (7),a
        ld a,%11111100      ;nothing ON                $FC
        out (7),a

...Also, they tell us that zeros "overpower" ones. So if calculator "A" sends a "1" on a wire, and calculator "B" sends a "0" on the same wire, both calcs will interpret it as a "0".

Anyway, the main thing to remember is that both wires will need to send their data at the same time. Since we're using "open air" to send the infrared instead of a fibre-optic thread, they will have to "share" the IR transmitter/receiver somehow. (I've seen a few designs connect 2 LEDs directly to the ports but this doesn't work).

Representing both wires:
Bi-Directional Wires

One popular way to do this is to double the IR bit rate. So for example, if both wires were on, the IR would send a "1" followed by another "1." This is a good strategy for low-speed transfers because the LED can still flash rapidly enough to work at the x2 rate. It might not work for the regular 9600bps because your LED would have to flash 19,400 times a second (too fast!). The Sami design seems to work around it, but I haven't studied it very closely so that's all I can say. It's slower, but you can use the wires as inputs or outputs.

Uni-Directional Wires

Another way is to use 1 wire as a permanent output and 1 as a permanent input. This strategy avoids the x2 bit rate problem. But most games and progs use both wires as inputs and outputs though, so it might not be compatible with all linked games.
shadowing