This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 04:43:58 pm    Post subject:

I would need the best site which talk about DNS (it's a school work).
Alan

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 06:22:10 pm    Post subject:

Ill give you a definition of DNS:

DNS stands for domain name server. A domain name server is a computer connected to the internet that has a database of domain names. The domain server can be accessed by isps. isps send a domain request to a domain server whenever a computer accessing the internet through that isp trys to access a domain name. The isp asks the dns for the ip of the domain name the comp is trying to access because the internet uses the IP but domain names makes it easier for people to remember the sites they visit instead of typing in an ip every time.

Want more?
Alan

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 06:23:02 pm    Post subject:

and also:

please dont use an image for a signature because it takes a long time to download.
DmitriB

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 12:14:11 am    Post subject:

alan, 2 things, dont double post and its not the image itself that is taking a long time to download cause its only 1.6 KB so it must just be on a slow server. mine is 6 KB and no one has ever said anything about it cause its on calc.org so it loads really fast.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 12:45:38 pm    Post subject:

My image is on multimania.com. I chose a free web hoster.

is r[color=orange]a[color=yellow]i[color=yellow]n[color=gray]b[color=green]o[color=blue]w[color=red] p[color=purple]o[color=orange]s[color=yellow]t[color=gray]i[color=green]n[color=blue]g[color=red] a[color=purple]l[color=orange]l[color=yellow]o[color=gray]w[color=green]e[color=blue]d [color=red]h[color=purple]e[color=orange]r[color=yellow]e[color=gray]?[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 01:37:19 pm    Post subject:

technically, it is, but it is really hard to read :(

i really dont care what ppl put in their sigs, cuz i use a T1 (school) or dsl (home). what DOES irritate me is when the sig is bigger than the post.... (significantly)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 02:03:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what DOES irritate me is when the sig is bigger than the post.... (significantly)

http://forums.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=1159
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 02:08:49 pm    Post subject:

i did and said if it wasnt to big (max 100 pxl)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 02:11:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I noticed you voted while i posted that.

ok, back to the topic...

Is there an alternative to dns servers or are they crucial to using the internet? Maybe a dumb question but I don't know if there's a better system by now.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 02:13:59 pm    Post subject:

yes, type in the ip address.

when you type www.unitedti.org into your browser, your computer sends "www.unitedti.org" to the dns, which looks up the ip for the server, and sends it back. your computer then goes to the ip that was sent to it.

short: you can, but its a little harder
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 03:37:11 pm    Post subject:

Its more complicated then you think, and I'm not going to explain it but I'll prove it.

If you try to ping unitedti.org you'll find out what the ip address is, if you try to go to that ip directly in your webbrowser rather then the domain name you'll see what I'm talking about.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 07:55:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Website Error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Site isn't setup correctly contact webmaster for asstance
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement