This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
ducttape_87

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 11:12:33 pm    Post subject:

I have not had much involvement in the TI community, but I finally got to seeing what Codex was all about, and have now begun work with it to recreate Lode Runner. It you dont know what Lode Runner is, it's an old arcade platformer that appeared in arcades and on PC. Basically your goal is to avoid traps and mad monks while you collect gold and try not to do something stupid that will result in having to restart the level.

In my game I will use Codex to generate levels composed of 3-9 screens each where you and your blaster have to navigate the traps and pitfalls to get your gold and get out. Like in the old game if you make a mistake you may end up having to start over.

So far the game is coming along nicely, but I'm not sure if I will add Mad Monks, I believe those guys will be uncessecary for a calculator port, and I can make levels just as fun and challenging without them.

I'll post a screen or two pretty soon! Very Happy
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 11:38:11 pm    Post subject:

YES! I love that game! I really think you should look into adding the monks though, the levels can be chalenging without them, but it doesn't have the same panicky feel. Oh yeah, and good luck!

Spyderbyte
ducttape_87

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 11:55:07 pm    Post subject:

Well I'm not sure that programming the monks will be very easy. Maybe I could have one monk for a screen, that probably would not slow down things to much. AI would be hard though. The monk would probably be limited to walking back and forth on one section of ground and walk towards you if you are on the section. then you would have to climb a ladder, wait, and then jump over him, or just run away.

Glad you are interested. If anyone wants to help that would be awesome. I dont know how to keep track of the gold peices though. I display them all when the level is generated but I'm not sure how to make it so you collect them when you run over them. 10-20 gold pieces on a screen is a lot to keep track of.
ducttape_87

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 12:25:47 am    Post subject:

Blasting ground to get to the gold!
Guy looks crappy right now. I will make a good one sometime.

EDIT: for some reason I cannot get pictures to post here. so just go here : Screen Shot

Last edited by Guest on 26 Jan 2004 12:31:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 02:21:43 am    Post subject:

Hey! Looks good! Are you using Text( O for the coins? Oh and is it playable right now?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 02:52:18 pm    Post subject:

Strange. I could not see that image, but after going to the link you posted, I was able to see it.

Maybe you could ask to look at the Contra code to see how it handles enemies.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 04:40:44 pm    Post subject:

ducttape_87 wrote:
EDIT: for some reason I cannot get pictures to post here. so just go here : Screen Shot

That's because geocities won't let you display a picture on their servers from another site. (It's called direct linking and it uses up their bandwidth without letting the ads be seen.) You've got the same problem with your avatar, so go ahead and use the space on freewebz for both. The topic is here.

Spyderbyte
ducttape_87

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 06:14:09 pm    Post subject:

I am using Codex and a tileset for 98% of graphics stuff.
Right now I have a small test level of just two screens and yes, it is playable. Right now you can walk, shoot, climb up and down ladders, and pick up coins.

I need to do some work on the main loop to make it work better and faster. Then once I make a small level I will put out a demo. Maybe this week even.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 12:59:55 am    Post subject:

Spyderbyte wrote:
ducttape_87 wrote:

That's because geocities won't let you display a picture on their servers from another site. (It's called direct linking and it uses up their bandwidth without letting the ads be seen.) You've got the same problem with your avatar, so go ahead and use the space on freewebz for both. The topic is here.

Spyderbyte

tried everything, and freewebz never worked for me.

EDIT is it just me or did anyone else notice that it says Group: .UTI Members or Group: .Members ??

edit2: and it only shows on certain ppl!

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2004 01:01:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 10:45:26 am    Post subject:

I noticed it too! It began after the server change.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 05:55:31 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully that works...
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 06:00:11 pm    Post subject:

that is friekin' awesome dude... totally...
ducttape_87

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 06:50:57 pm    Post subject:

Got some new screens right here!
The main engine is pretty much done for now. I may change it a bit for a little more speed, but I think it is decent for a Basic game.

Who ever wants to find out for them selves though, can ask for the demo just as soon as I add one more screen to the first level tonight. The first level has 4 screens. If you screw up you have to push Clear and restart at the begining.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 07:07:59 pm    Post subject:

WOW that looks great! Good job and keep up the good work!
shadowing