This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 02:32:22 am    Post subject:

Wow I have never seen anything like this before. Either I'm out of the loop or they just came out.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/242/24235.html
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/259/25987.html

I thought it would either ruin my calc or say something like "the calculator can't make blue, stupid!" But to my surprise these programs really do draw in blue, and after running the programs my calc is just as it was. The waterfall program is a little weak, but I can see this as being the next big thing for calc programming, if it's not overly complicated.

Btw anybody know how they work?
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 03:50:57 am    Post subject:

Nooo Noo NOOOOOO!

This 'discovery' you have made is a common misconception by most people new to programming in asm. This drawing in blue as you call it, is none of the sort. The blue lines you experience on your calculator are a result of over powering your LCD. This can be very harmful to your calculator. The result of overpowering your lcd can result in the leaking of LCD fluid, or the burning out of pixels. Also you cannot draw the blue lines on your calc. The blue lines that appear are completely random.

Some will argue that these blue lines will not have an effect on your LCD which would be valid if you were only to run the program for a few seconds. Some will also state how they have run it for prolonged periods of time without any damage. They however just got lucky.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 03:53:56 am    Post subject:

Ahhhh ok you scared me. I ran it for a good 10 seconds. Still really cool, though!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 12:16:47 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how he made the screenshots...

There was also a person hoping to make a pong game with yellow and blue colors, back when all I knew of asm was that it was a three-letter word I downloaded it, ran it, and it crashed.

I don't understand about the blue lines idea. Whenever I got the blue screen on my TI-83+SE, the screen was always completely blue from the start.

Maybe the TI-84s, with their "high contrast screen", will work differently with the blue LCD.

Didn't someone post about getting red and green LCD colors similarly? How would that work?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 03:25:22 pm    Post subject:

I remember my Gameboy screen turning blue if I left it in a hot car during the summer. I'd imaging this prog uses the same priciple; overheating liquid crystal layers with excessive current. Similarly, my screen would turn red if it got too cold.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 07:09:25 pm    Post subject:

the blue lines are a result of changing the contrast higher than it is supposed to go, then sending some value to the LCD.

please, anyone correct this if i am wrong.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 05:19:28 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
the blue lines are a result of changing the contrast higher than it is supposed to go, then sending some value to the LCD.

please, anyone correct this if i am wrong.

just sending the value does it.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 05:42:21 pm    Post subject:

How does a program make it overheat?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 05:44:22 pm    Post subject:

outputting a value to the LCD port which was probably included for testing purposes.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 06:30:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This little program will turn your LCD r0y@| BLUE! A must download to load on a school calc. The fun part is, if you take the batteries out & put them back in immediatley, it's still there!

Well it's definately a heat issue. I'm just curious to see how this program works. There seems to be an unwritten rule in product engineering that forbids situations where code can actually damage its own hardware. It's definately the strangest prog I've ever seen. Where's the source code?
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 08:44:04 pm    Post subject:

i suggest taking extreme measures to never get that program on your calc!

the 18th horizontal line on my calc has been "burnt", you cannot draw on it, the line on both screens is unuseable, but the weirdest part is that it still comes on! if you draw on certain points, the corrisponding dot in that column, previously burnt, will climb the grayscale ladder for evey pixel closser that is drawn in, getting darker untill it is darker than the normal on pixel, not blue, but still darker.

HAZARDOUS PROGRAM i have sent notice to ticalc but it is obviously still there
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 09:45:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I will too.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 08:30:41 am    Post subject:

only do it for a second, and you should *theoretically* be just fine.

i did it to my calc a couple of times (to show people) and my calc is just fine.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 02:36:28 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Well it's definately a heat issue.  I'm just curious to see how this program works.  There seems to be an unwritten rule in product engineering that forbids situations where code can actually damage its own hardware.  It's definately the strangest prog I've ever seen.  Where's the source code?

ld a, WhateverTheLCDPortNumberIs
out (a), $bluelcdvalue
ret

Quote:

Since anyone can do this with minimum or no Asm knowledge, I doubt this would do any good if the program did get removed. I think they have a warning though.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jan 2004 10:56:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
ld a, WhateverTheLCDPortNumberIs
out (a), $bluelcdvalue
ret

There's more to it than that though. Writting to the display controller through this port affects contrast, but only temporarily because the true value--the "enforced" one-- is also stored somewhere in RAM, which constantly overrides the lone "out (a),$contrast values. ...Well, at least for TI82.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 01:02:20 pm    Post subject:

This is not related to contrast issues. The LCD port does not only do contrast but also other things, such as this. There are several values which when sent make the screen blue, and when you send another value ($18 I think) it will stop the LCD from being blue and the contrast will be normal again.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 01:54:47 pm    Post subject:

supposedly when you send the start value, it goes into a "test mode", until you tell it to stop, and has nothing to do with contrast what so ever, as Sir Robin said.

DigiTan: i dont know about the ti82, but in the ti83+ include file, teh contrast is stored at "contrast" (not sure what it equates to though)
JeePee

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 03:09:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Test Mode
This is a pretty useless feature, but you can really scare some people with it! By sending an instruction in the range $1C to $1F, you put the LCD driver into something called test mode, affectionately known as The Blue Lines of Death. In a nutshell, during test mode the liquid crystals are receiving an abnormal amount of energy. So much in fact that you get blue horizontal lines across the screen. Even weirder, the lines overflow out of each pixel cell (there are normally thin areas of blank space separating each pixel). By sending multiple test mode commands you can make more blue lines appear, potentially you can make the entire display blue.
To cancel test mode, send command $18. This will also set the contrast to its darkest.
Now that you know about test mode, please, don't use it. There is no way to make the BLODs appear on a specific row, nor can they be constrained. If you had any hopes of making some kind of waterfall animation, you can just as well forget about it.
As well, test mode is dangerous! If you leave the calculator in test mode for more than a minute, you risk damaging the LCD. Even a few seconds of BLODs may leave an imprint on the screen (not unlike phosphor burn-in when you forget your screen saver)

This comes out of the 28-days lessons for the TI83+.

eg:

Code:
ld   a,1Dh  ;1Ch -> 1F
ld   (10h),a    ;start test mode
;...
ld   a,18
ld   (10h),a    ;stop test mode

Surprised DON'T TRY THIS! Surprised
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 03:58:31 pm    Post subject:

JeePee wrote:
Surprised DON'T TRY THIS! Surprised

You can't tell me what to do!

5 minutes elapse...

Anyone know where I can buy a TI-83 Plus for cheap?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 05:34:40 pm    Post subject:

:lol:

very funny sigma Razz
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement