This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 02:37:54 pm    Post subject:

OK, I just bought call of duty the pc game and it freezes at strange points. It freezes sometimes when i walk through bushes and at other dumb parts, never in the middle of a gun fight with 20 other players when you would think my pc would get overwhelmed.
Could it really be my sound card??

PC specs
hard drive free space- 1 gb, 18 gb
processor-AMD athlon XP 2000 (2.6 gig)
sound-Realtek AC'97
graphics card-Radeon 7000
RAM-512 mb
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 02:59:50 pm    Post subject:

It could be your soundcard, or you videocard, or your lack of harddrive space (try defragmenting your harddrive). I have that same game, it works flawlessly for me at this time, and will work even better in a couple more days.

PC specs:
[C:\] hard drive free space - 7.26GB/33.2GB
Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (2.166 GHz TBred-B Core)
Sound card - SoundBlaster Audigy
Graphics card - Geforce3 64MB
RAM - 1GB pc2700 (running in dual channel mode)
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 03:13:31 pm    Post subject:

What would be a good sound card?
I'm also a student w/out a job so are there any relatively inexpensive decent sound cards out there?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 03:16:12 pm    Post subject:

Hows that processor, btw? Im building my own comp. I might buy a 64 bit amd though, not sure.

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 22 Jan 2004 03:17:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 03:20:58 pm    Post subject:

A good soundcard will be any Soundblaster Audigy, Audigy 2, or so on. You should be able to pick up one of the original Audigy pci cards off Pricewatch for around $30 now.

I've had my processor for a little over a year, and it still rocks. I used to have a better videocard, but my GeForce4 Ti4600 fried a couple months ago...but when you win it and use it for about a year, you can't complain too much.

--AlienCC
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 08:43:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hows that processor, btw?

My processor is pretty good, it's about a little above average so it should be fine for COD

Quote:
I might buy a 64 bit amd though, not sure.

I looked into the 64 bit AMD processor, and those are pretty darn expensive! I saw them for over 600$ alone I think. I wouldn't be able to afford that even with all my savings (which happens to be thousands and thousands of dollars Wink [wink wink]
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 04:18:51 am    Post subject:

Well I have yet to install Call of Duty again, but I just reformatted my pc and changed up the way my harddrives were configured. All of this mostly because I got a new videocard recently. You might say I can feel a significant performance boost over just a couple days ago.

I'm extremely impressed with what ATI is doing now, they've fixed all the complaints I used to have due to past experience with them.

PC specs:
[C:\] 2 - 120GB SE (raided with raid 0/Stripping) - 240GB total space
Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (2.166 GHz TBred-B Core)
Sound card - SoundBlaster Audigy (Audigy 2 drivers loaded)
Graphics card - Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
RAM - 1GB pc2700 (dual channel mode)
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 04:07:02 pm    Post subject:

Holy cow that's a nice computer!

I wish I could make one like that but I have to save up to buy a car (still no job Sad "

I'll try to buy the sound card soon. Or beg for it! Razz

Has anybody played counter strike? I need to get steam, because I have dial up it would take over 15 hours to download, with one phone line that's pretty hard to do
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 04:10:38 pm    Post subject:

I would have edited my last reply but for some reason I don't have that option right now...
Alien CC what is your COD name? I'm uNeenja and I'm usually in team matches.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 02:41:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Has anybody played counter strike? I need to get steam, because I have dial up it would take over 15 hours to download, with one phone line that's pretty hard to do
Ouch, that download time is harsh...I have played Counter-strike off/on for about 3 years now, and have been in 4 different clans over the time, only one of them was serious enough to get into CAL, but they broke up shortly after entering.

Sorry but I don't really play games That often. Counter-strike is the only game I play online (I may play it for 2-3 hours a week at most ever) and I don't use cheats of any kind (aim bot, wall hack, etc.) My game is stock from install. Call of Duty is one of the games I only play at LAN parties, so I've only played it 4 times, each ranging between 1-3 hours long. You'll find me at a lan party about once a month, sometimes less often and that is about the only place I really play games.

My computer is mostly used for Audio/Video processing which is why the specs are what they are, the graphics card is about the only thing thats changed in almost a year now, and only because the Geforce4 I won at a lan party went defective on me.

--AlienCC
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 06:41:08 pm    Post subject:

In a LAN party, do you just bring your computer and moniter and set it up at where ever it is, connecting them with a hub and cables?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 06:11:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
  In a LAN party, do you just bring your computer and moniter and set it up at where ever it is, connecting them with a hub and cables?

That really depends on which lan parties you go to. The one I normally attend is owned by a small company, the games are plotted out on a schedule based on what participants want to play before the day of the event. Its bring your own computer and network cable, the hubs/switches are already setup with a DHCP server for hassle free networking. There is a small fee to get in, but the atmosphere, friends, and free dinner make it all worth it.

The best part about lan parties is you can castrate and incarcenate anyone who cheats, then permantly "borrow" or destroy their gear as they would get kicked out and be permanantly banned from ever coming back to the LAN's. With that kind of advantage, who really wants to play online against the people who require computer aided help to play a game because their skills are that pathetic? But really, LAN's aren't about who's the best, they're about playing games to have fun. Playing online doesn't even come close the the increased level of fun you gain from just the atmosphere of being around the people you're fragging and taunting.

--AlienCC
b__

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 07:35:24 pm    Post subject:

Holy crap i just got Call of Duty and have never played a better game in my life.
Well I don't play a lot of games, but I think this is the best (Someone tell me if i'm wrong, cause I could use another good game).
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 08:53:19 pm    Post subject:

i got the steam thingy, and it took me 6 hours over a dsl connection. Sad
i just need a cd-key now....
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 08:05:03 am    Post subject:

b__ wrote:
Well I don't play a lot of games, but I think this is the best (Someone tell me if i'm wrong, cause I could use another good game).

Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights (with expansions), America's Army, Doom 2, Half-Life 2, Halo, etc.
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 01:59:30 pm    Post subject:

Half Life 2 isn't out yet, but it'll be great when it comes!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 02:43:39 pm    Post subject:

*cough*beta*cough* Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Guest on 30 Jan 2004 02:43:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 03:20:07 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean the one that hacker stole Arcane?

I think that guy is a jerk, taking it for himself and delaying the open date for the more patient and respectful of us.
GRRRRRRRR (really pissed) Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 04:41:45 pm    Post subject:

The hacker just 'stole' the source code for half-life :)

He released it shortly after, but only a select few have acces to it, you have to be 'in the scene' sort of.

The beta is just leacked (an employe leacked it I believe) and should be downloadable from warez/ftp servers.

As for the delay, too bad, they should've had better security, and it probably would've been delayed anyway.
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Feb 2004 03:47:00 pm    Post subject:

Ya you're right it probably would have been delayed any way, sadly.

Still a pity
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement