This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 10:44:17 pm    Post subject:

Hey I've run into another problem with installing stuff on my computer recently. I just got a wireless router so my mom could piggyback onto my sister's and my internet connection, which we got set up and is working fine. However, it also has a firewall, which seems to think outlook express is trying to hack or something instead of getting/sending emails. I actually tried calling tech support for my router and actually got a live person on the line, but his solution didn't work.

The router will let me configure just about everything, including opening ports and stuff. I was trying to open the ports that outlook express needs, but I don't know the specifics. I think outgoing is 25 and incoming is 110, but i don't know beyond that. Any ideas or thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

(Oh yeah, and everything does work if I plug the cable directly into the back of my computer, so I'm 99.999999999999999% sure it's the router (or some AMAZING coincidence. Very Happy ))

Spyderbyte
DmitriB

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jan 2004 09:03:15 pm    Post subject:

i would try the port thing though if you do that you probably should get a software firewall. if that doesnt work you should go through the router options cause most will allow you to place one computer outside of the firewall although its not reccomended, again if you do this have a firewall on your comp.

let me know what kind of router you have cause that will help me in assisting you.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jan 2004 11:03:21 pm    Post subject:

Oh right sorry. Its a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router, 54g, product number F5D7230-4. From what I've discovered so far, it has a built in firewall, its own ip address (I don't know if that's normal for all routers or not. Wacko I just got it recently), and jacks for four ethernet cables, which i guess I can set up as a comp to comp network as well.

And I can do the outside the firewall fix, but I'll look into this port deal first. Um Outlook Express is trying to access pop-server through port 110 to get my emails, and smtp-server and port 25 to send them. I've got roadrunner cable.

Thanks again!

Spyderbyte
DmitriB

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 11:49:14 pm    Post subject:

i have the exact same router so i wil be able to give you very exact instructions. if what i suggested above did not work then go to http://(router_ip)/fw_dmz.html. to obtain your ip go to the command prompt or ms-dos and run ipconfig to find your ip. once you have done that set your computer to be placed outside of the firewall. if you do that make absolutely sure that you have a firewall on the comp.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 04:05:08 pm    Post subject:

Ok, thanks!

What kind of firewall would you recommend? I have McAfee Virus scanner, which has the option for a firewall, but I'd rather not cough up 35 extra dollars a year only to find a better one.

Thanks again!

Spyderbyte
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 06:16:49 pm    Post subject:

get the free version of zone alarm. And yes, I am too lazy to give you a link. Get your own google toolbar/taskbar.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement