This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 06:06:32 pm    Post subject:

heh, i love it when people do that :lol:

looks nice kv83...
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 06:15:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it looks awesome. Btw I posted my first response in MaxCoderz, so sorry if this doesnt sound *enthusiastic.*

(sp?)
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 09:28:48 pm    Post subject:

That's really fast. But it seems like you're mocking Jedd. Anyways, hey Jedd, can I create a level?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 09:37:48 pm    Post subject:

Umm, I don't take any offense. I love seeing my game go that fast.

As for creating a level, yes you can. Right now it only supports 1-screen levels with chips and keys. To create a level, scroll down a little bit in the program CHIP and you'll see a 9x8 matrix. Edit it to make your own level. Look at Pic 0 to find out the sprite numbers (and remember, many of the tiles haven't been programmed yet). 0 is an empty space. There are 12 sprites in every row of Pic 0, so row 1 is 0-11, row 2 is 12-23, etc. There is an extra line in the matrix to store the level number and the number of chips. In my demo level these numbers are 1 and 4. Enjoy!
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 09:50:10 pm    Post subject:

I'll send it to you when I finish. Are you going to create an external level accesser? If I want to really make it, tell Duckman to post the latest version.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 10:15:10 pm    Post subject:

It will include a level editor...eventually. The demo level won't be in the game though. The "latest version" has a lot of new features but also has a lot of bugs. That's why I'm not going to post it quite yet.

Btw I kinda have a problem that is difficult to fix...when Chip steps on to a directional (arrow) tile he skips a tile. This is because the getkey adds 1 to the coordinate, senses the arrow tile, and adds another 1. So he is drawn 2 away. Can anyone think of an easy way to fix that so he is actually seen on the first tile? Hopefully that makes sense...
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 10:40:24 pm    Post subject:

Wish I could help. Hey Jedd, why don't you team up with someone to help you type in the code? Maybe it could be someone in this forum.
Duck Man

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 11:32:47 pm    Post subject:

Hey Jedd could you have it draw it then figure out what tile it is on? ... if that makes sence. Just an idea I throw at you.
ducttape_87

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 11:42:01 pm    Post subject:

Hey Jedd, I could maybe make you, or help you make, a level editor similar to the one for Lode Runner. I made a different editor just for fun that uses the 12 white buttons on the calc to call up 12 different tiles.

I think you use matrices for your levels, whereas mine uses strings, but I could probably make it work.

Let me know what you think.

Eager to play more Chip's Challenge! Very Happy
ducttape_87

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 11:46:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Btw I kinda have a problem that is difficult to fix...when Chip steps on to a directional (arrow) tile he skips a tile. This is because the getkey adds 1 to the coordinate, senses the arrow tile, and adds another 1. So he is drawn 2 away. Can anyone think of an easy way to fix that so he is actually seen on the first tile? Hopefully that makes sense...

I'm not sure how your game works, but in lode runner I have a special loop for falling (which is similar to you arrow tile I think) where the character is moved without imput from the user. Maybe you could make a loop inside your main loop where the character is moved one space, drawn, moved one more space, and then drawn again. Does this make ANY sense...? Wacko

Last edited by Guest on 04 Feb 2004 11:47:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 11:53:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I had the same problem writing "Poquémon" a while back. You could try treating the arrow tile like a "fake keypress" event, where the program senses the tile, then "forces" Chip to move once more--as if the key had been pressed again. That way it's the same as pressing that key twice in a row.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 05 Feb 2004 12:31:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Hey Jedd, why don't you team up with someone to help you type in the code? Maybe it could be someone in this forum.

Maybe. If anyone is interested, let me know. But no guarantees.

Quote:
Hey Jedd could you have it draw it then figure out what tile it is on? ... if that makes sence. Just an idea I throw at you.

That's actually what I was thinking of doing until I think of something better. The only problem would be hitting walls, in which case you would see him flash in a wall for a second and then flash back.

Quote:
Hey Jedd, I could maybe make you, or help you make, a level editor similar to the one for Lode Runner. I made a different editor just for fun that uses the 12 white buttons on the calc to call up 12 different tiles.

I'll make one when I release the full version. You are welcome to make one, but my levels will eventually be multi-screen and stored in strings, so it would only be a temporary level editor.

Quote:
I'm not sure how your game works, but in lode runner I have a special loop for falling (which is similar to you arrow tile I think) where the character is moved without imput from the user. Maybe you could make a loop inside your main loop where the character is moved one space, drawn, moved one more space, and then drawn again. Does this make ANY sense...?

Yes, it does. The only thing is that it's hard to have a seperate subroutine that would perfectly time with the normal walking engine. Also, you can fight against the arrows to a certain extent. If you fight directly against the arrows, you will not move. This works quite well in the current version which uses the normal walking engine's key input.

Quote:
I had the same problem writing "Poquémon" a while back. You could try treating the arrow tile like a "fake keypress" event, where the program senses the tile, then "forces" Chip to move once more--as if the key had been pressed again. That way it's the same as pressing that key twice in a row.

That's not exactly the problem. To help you understand it better, here's what's going on:
-Key pressed
-Coordinates added according to which key was pressed*
-Tile detecting program (subroutine) sees that it is an arrow sprite
-Coordinates are added according to arrow direction*
-Return to main engine
-Draw the character

As you can see, he will move according to a key press* and technically be on the first arrow, then move again due to the arrow*. Thus it looks like he skips a tile. I think I'll go with Duck Man's answer for now.

Another possibility would be to have 2 tile detection subroutines, but this would get a bit more complicated, and probably not work correctly (or quickly).

Last edited by Guest on 05 Feb 2004 12:35:16 am; edited 1 time in total
X1011

Posted: 05 Feb 2004 04:02:45 pm    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
Btw I kinda have a problem that is difficult to fix...when Chip steps on to a directional (arrow) tile he skips a tile.  This is because the getkey adds 1 to the coordinate, senses the arrow tile, and adds another 1.  So he is drawn 2 away.  Can anyone think of an easy way to fix that so he is actually seen on the first tile?  Hopefully that makes sense...

Why don't you have it so when it senses an arrow tile, it draws the sprite first, then it adds another, and then let the normal drawing take place
shadowing