This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 06:14:06 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys I've run into a problem with Windows Installer. Three of the past programs I've tried to install have given me "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personal for assistance."

I'm pretty sure that "my support personal" would be an automated email response if anything, and I can't find the Windows Installer installer anywhere, including the Microsoft website.

I'm running Windows XP Professional. (And I know at least one person would say just switch to Linuix, but it's not my personal computer and I probably wouldn't have the knowledge/patience to get it running correctly.)

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 09:16:42 pm    Post subject:

Hey Spyderbyte there are two possibilities it could mean:

a) The program is not compatible with Windows XP Pro. (Some programs are not compatible)
Cool You have to reinstall Windows XP Pro.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 05:51:55 am    Post subject:

If you want the windows installer to be fixed, just run the windows installer (setup.exe on the windows cd, as if you where reinstalling windows, just don't remove the installed os) and there should be an option to repair previous instalation of windows or, if that does not appear to be there, you can just install it as normal and it should install anything that is missing or replace any damaged files.

Should do the trick.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 06:35:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes, yes that is true. Well, Spyderbyte your problem is solved.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 09:43:00 am    Post subject:

It should be, but we're talking about windows here. Wink

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jan 2004 09:43:07 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 06:36:05 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I suppose it may not be resolved due to Windows stupid unreliable patches.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2004 03:40:15 am    Post subject:

Or windows just being a little strange (on the area of stabilty and such) all together, which has nothing to do with any patches, because it also occurs (even more) when no patches have been applied.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jan 2004 09:35:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes. It is truly a virus.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 07:20:12 pm    Post subject:

Hey thanks for the help guys, I've just got one more question. I asked another friend the same question before I read your responses, and he found the Installer folder in C:/Windows. On the school computer that he pointed it out to me on, there was only one file, and right clicking it gave you the option to install or repair the file.

I discovered that I'm missing the entire folder on my computer (which may be the source of the problem Very Happy) Would it work to copy the folder over from my sister's laptop (running XP Home) and install the files? I wanted to ask first so I wouldn't mess everything up severly and have the computer explode in my face or something. :D

Just wanted to see if it made any sense to even try.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 10:30:53 am    Post subject:

Your whole windows directory is missing? Where did you install it then?
JeePee

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 12:25:44 pm    Post subject:

shadowing wrote:

No, it's just Windows! Cool
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 01:51:25 pm    Post subject:

he means that the folder C:\Windows\Installer is missing or something. he is asking if he should copy his sis's Installer\ folder onto his (their?) machine.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 01:52:17 pm    Post subject:

JeePee wrote:
shadowing wrote:

No, it's just Windows! Cool

windows is a virus, a good one at that
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 01:56:15 pm    Post subject:

DOS= denial of service
Window= spyware

Last edited by Guest on 21 Jan 2004 01:57:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JeePee

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 02:02:22 pm    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
DOS= denial of service
Window= spyware

Windows = Will Install Needless Data On Whole System Neutral
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 04:14:07 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Your whole windows directory is missing? Where did you install it then?

Quote:
he means that the folder C:\Windows\Installer is missing or something. he is asking if he should copy his sis's Installer\ folder onto his (their?) machine.

Yup, that's exactly what I meant. I was just wondering if there was enough of a difference between XP Home and () Professional Very Happy or any other reason it might not work.

Spyderbyte
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 10:10:21 am    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
Window= spyware

*ingnores false and uninformed opinion so people don't turn the thread into a 5 page discussion about nonsense regarding windows while they have no idea what they're talking about half the time*

Quote:
Yup, that's exactly what I meant. I was just wondering if there was enough of a difference between XP Home and () Professional  or any other reason it might not work.
Well, it shouldn't pose much of a problem between XP home and professional edition, it's worth a try anyway, make sure you back it up just in case though.

Don't know if it'll fix things though.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 04:06:16 pm    Post subject:

Back up the registry? As in regedit?

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 06:07:02 pm    Post subject:

Spyderbyte wrote:
I was just wondering if there was enough of a difference between XP Home and () Professional

The only difference between the two is the color of the progress bar while it is loading.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 02:57:05 am    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Spyderbyte wrote:
I was just wondering if there was enough of a difference between XP Home and () Professional

The only difference between the two is the color of the progress bar while it is loading.

Until you try to network the machines together, or play with the SMB->sharing features, etc. Then you start noticing features that are missing and would normally be there which is most annoying, get XP Pro.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement